Ok I need surgery advice for Miila.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Have an appt for next thurs for her spay and cherry eye and this vet recommends to have the laser pallet surgery also. I need to call and let them know soon if we want it or not so now I need all your expert opinions please. I have seen both good and bad posted here about it so not sure what to do. The surgery itself is only like 120 more on top of the millions we are already spending so that is not a factor. Mainly just wanted the should I while she is under or not.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I've also heard Both sides..I'm sorry Jenn..I don't know. But my vet DID say Jake also has the elongated pallet..but he would probably never need surgery. Might depend on the extent of need. Bet [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] can help!

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
If they really feel Miila NEEDS the surgery and think it is ok to do it at the same time as the other procedures I would have it done. The anesthesia scares me more than any procedure so I'd do it just to avoid having to put Miila under again later.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oi, I wish I can help you with this one, but just don't have the experience or read up on it. Why does the vet recommend it? Is Miila having a hard time with something?

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] this is how I am leaning also. There is no problem now but she said if she gets overly excited it is bad enough that it could be bad then.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well she is the heaviest breather I have ever heard so I kinda figured when we first met her this was the case. I think it isnt threatening her today unless she gets over excited, heated, stressed? I am not 100% sure cuz for some reason I do not retain anything medically. or I should say I retain 50% which is not good when you are a mama. I asked if it was "needed" and she said she feels it is. I dunno. Are there any ill effects from having it done aside from it being surgery?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maybe [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] may have some input ... because I think Orion has the same problem (maybe I"m wrong).

I can't really help more than that ... l too would be more worried about putting a bully under more than necessary. If it turns out that it REALLY IS necessary then I would opt to have everything done together if it is possible.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well if she is having some labored breathing when she is sleeping or just sitting around you may want to go ahead with the surgery. I agree with [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] if she is not having that much of a problem then I would not do it. You know her better than we do and how she breaths when she is running and playing outside.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke had to have this done... before the surgery his breathing was heavy and at time labored... but his snoring was REALLY loud. after the surgery, he was great and the snoring, did not stop, but was much lower. I say, if it is needed and she is already under,,, have it done.

Most Reactions