Bulldog excitement question

Theozzmandpg

Oct 27, 2011
So our bulldog daisy loves people.... a little too much. When we have company come over she gets so excited she barks or whines if people aren't saying hello to her. The problem is she is a submissive pee-er. When someone new does bend down to say hello, she lays down on all fours and pees. Sometimes she even gets excited when I come home and ends up piddling. Has anyone had the same problem and success with training. I am not sure the best way to get her to calm down. She was a pet store dog so I know that this is part of the problem, she just wants the attention(I call her my little attention whore). She is only a year and a half but I want to find ways to train her to get her to grow out of it.

One thing that we have done so far is ignore her when we come home. If I come home from work there aren't any "hello baby's" I just tell her we are going outside and she meets me at the door. For company though we have had people try to ignore her, which is hard because she isn't the smallest dog in the world, and we run her out when company is coming up to the door. I just wanted to know if there were any training methods to get her to calm down a bit around new people and other dogs when she meets them. Is this just a bully trait? This is the first mid-sized/large dog that I have had so things are a little different than with our pug. He is easy to calm down just because of his size but with her she just tends to bump into you long enough until you notice her.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..we call that "Happy Pee"... Might not make you happy but ....we have had this in our Jake..11 months old..and previous non bulldogs. They ALWAYS outgrew it. I do think if you don't excite her when coming home or having guests just ignore her will help. If you know there's not a physical problem..I think she will outgrow it.

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
All Bullies love to meet and greet :) some just get a bit more excited than others. Think you are doing the right thing by ignoring her and she will eventually grow out of it too.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It's not a bullie thing either. I've known other dogs of all sizes and shapes who did that. "No touch, no talk, no eye contact" rule when you/your guests come in is spot on for keeping the excitment level to a minimum (and is, quite frankly, how a pack leader would greet his pack upon returning). You can ignore her until she sits calmly for pets and then indulge. That worked for Bea. Bo is another story however.....that's another post entirely. He's an attention crack whore. Bad. Very bad.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I don't have anything to add but wanted to Welcome you to EBN. Glad you joined and there are many very experienced bully people here that can help you. Thanx for joining

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Totally will grow out of it....titan used to roll on his back soon as you walked in the door and pee into the air....

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i learned not to say hi right away, after having pee down the front of me...hahaha

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Totally will grow out of it....titan used to roll on his back soon as you walked in the door and pee into the air....

LMAO ............ :ROFL: Although I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.