Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To neuter or not to neuter... that is the question.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Denver PA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To neuter or not to neuter... that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleandZach View Post
    So we are debating as to whether or not we are going to neuter Roman. He is now 5 months old and weighs 38lbs. When talking to our breeder she suggested waiting until he was a little older or 9-12 months. She said that waiting will help him grow and fill out more. She was all for neutering though. She said "There's two types of bulldogs: show dogs/breeders and family pets. It's easy to have one or the other but it can be difficult to have both." I don't know if I agree with that statement only because I haven't been around too many other bulldogs.

We mentioned all this to our Vet and she said we should do it sooner or around 6 months. Her reasoning was that he might learn bad habits (humping, etc) plus she said that he should maintain more of his puppy personality. She agreed with the breeders sentiments about breeding dogs and family pets.

But tonight we went to our Vets' Halloween party and met a couple who has an 18 month old bulldog who is not neutered. And he was awesome! He was very well behaved and was great around all the other dogs. We talked to them and they were saying they opted not to neuter him because they had a friend who had a bulldog and he had his dog neutered and it completely changed his personality. He wasn't as playful and became more of a loner afterwards. We obviously don't want that to happen.

So now we're completely unsure as to what we want to do. There are pros & cons to both. We don't want him humping stuff or knocking up some random dog (not like he would... we watch him like a hawk) but we don't want his personality to change either. He is already a really good dog. He's about 90% potty trained and loves everybody. Thoughts???
    If you have a problem deciding yet, then why decide now? Wait and see what goes on down the road, you surely have time yet before you make a decision.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bradenton Fl.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@JAKEISGREAT , @pdac1975-----Your right! Vegas was neutered at 4 months old. He is 2.5 years old now. His body and his head filled out perfectly. He weighs 63 and has for a year and a half. I don't think he has a "huge" head, lol, I think it fits his big broad chest nicely. We adopted Vegas when he was 4.5 months old so he was already neutered. I would have done it immediately if he wasent already. BUT like @savemejeebus--it did not curb his desire to "hump" at all!! He humps all the time still. We have worked so hard to correct this bad behavior, putting him down, etc..does not matter....My name is Kelly....and my dog Vegas is a HUMPER!!!!!
    Last edited by KMARINO; 11-01-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I know a lot of you has experienced this big "personality" change when you neutered. The change is more than likely the result of medical trauma than the loss of his testicles especially those that happen overnight. And about testicular cancer or any disease, the statistical significance of un-altered dogs getting testicular cancer is the same significance as dogs getting mortal infection after the alteration surgery. Therefore, this is completely a decision that is for the dog owner - it's not bad to keep them intact and it's not bad to get them altered. You just need to know the facts of the situation because there are things you need to do to raise an unaltered dog and there are things you need to be aware of when you get a dog altered.

Basically, this is kinda the same thing as deciding whether to remove a dog's rope to prevent infection. There are good things and bad things about getting it done or leaving it on. But, most of you guys will shudder at the thought of removing the rope. You would rather go through the extra work of keeping the rope clean to prevent infection. A lot of people will shudder at the thought of removing a dog's testicles. They would rather go through the extra work of training and vigilance to prevent an unwanted litter.

The one glaring elephant in the room is plainly - an intact dog has the ability to reproduce and make more dogs. That really is the major consideration in this neuter/spay scenario. If you can guarantee with ONE HUNDRED PERCENT certainty that you will NEVER EVER in the life of your dog (that could be as long as 10 years or more!) irresponsibly cause him to produce an unplanned/unwanted litter, then you can leave the dog unaltered if you so desire and he can live a long happy life as well. But, if you can't guarantee that, or you don't want to take the chance, then get him altered as soon as it is safe to do so - 6 months is a good time - and he can live a long happy life just the same. There's not much benefit to prolonging the surgery.

Also remember that if you do decide to keep him unaltered, they do exhibit natural hormonal tendencies that you will need to prepare for. A capable pack leader shouldn't have a problem handling this.
    Last edited by anatess; 11-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads