Bullies and the elderly, a sweet story

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Quick story. My family was visiting from the east coast this week. We rarely get back there because I have trouble flying and plus, I hate leaving the animals. Anyway, my stepfather in the past 3 years has had surgeries and treatment for lung cancer, brain cancer, as well as a run-in with prostate cancer and a triple by-pass a few years before that. Even though he is in remission, he still moves and talks pretty slow and tries easily.

Enter Lupe. This dog has never met my stepfather. We got home from the airport, set him up in the family room, mom sat on the other couch, and my husband and I got pillows and sat on the floor as we all talked and enjoyed coffee. Within minutes (not joking), Lupe jumped up on the couch and plopped her head on my stepfather’s lap. Over the week, she followed him everywhere. Any time he sat down, she sat with him. Any time he got up, she followed. Lupe always “shadows” me or my husband, but it was like we (or my Ma) didn’t exist. My stepfather loooooved the attention and said it “was better than a year of therapy.” I have no explanation other than Lupe knew he needed comfort. I know dogs do this when their owners don't feel well, but I hadn’t seen it like this.

As an aside, even though we already had two dogs, Lupe really took to my 17-year old German Shep. who had two cancers and Cushing’s and passed when Lupe was just 6 months.

I’m reminded we are all so blessed to have these animals in our lives, and even though theirs is shorter than ours, I feel so much richer and complete than without them.

Lupe the nursing assistant:
photo.jpg

Lupe and Sunday:
DSC00378.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What a great story. Lupe sounds like a wonderful bully. Love the pics also. Thanks for sharing.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
That is just the sweetest thing! They both look so happy in that picture. How has Lupe been since they left? Is she acting like she misses your stepdad?

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story -- I agree with [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION]... someone needs a bully

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Quick story. My family was visiting from the east coast this week. We rarely get back there because I have trouble flying and plus, I hate leaving the animals. Anyway, my stepfather in the past 3 years has had surgeries and treatment for lung cancer, brain cancer, as well as a run-in with prostate cancer and a triple by-pass a few years before that. Even though he is in remission, he still moves and talks pretty slow and tries easily.

Enter Lupe. This dog has never met my stepfather. We got home from the airport, set him up in the family room, mom sat on the other couch, and my husband and I got pillows and sat on the floor as we all talked and enjoyed coffee. Within minutes (not joking), Lupe jumped up on the couch and plopped her head on my stepfather’s lap. Over the week, she followed him everywhere. Any time he sat down, she sat with him. Any time he got up, she followed. Lupe always “shadows” me or my husband, but it was like we (or my Ma) didn’t exist. My stepfather loooooved the attention and said it “was better than a year of therapy.” I have no explanation other than Lupe knew he needed comfort. I know dogs do this when their owners don't feel well, but I hadn’t seen it like this.

As an aside, even though we already had two dogs, Lupe really took to my 17-year old German Shep. who had two cancers and Cushing’s and passed when Lupe was just 6 months.

I’m reminded we are all so blessed to have these animals in our lives, and even though theirs is shorter than ours, I feel so much richer and complete than without them.

It sounds like Lupe would make a great therapy dog. I'm glad Lupe gave your stepfather some extra attention. It sounds like he enjoyed it and really needed it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Love the story, thank you for sharing

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Aww, thanks so much for sharing. What a way to start the day, so heartwarming.

She's certainly destined to be a therapy dog. :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx so much for sharing that with us.... Its one of those stories that makes one feel warm and fuzzy... :):):)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw how awsome. its nice to hear good stories about our bullies and the love they have to share. fantastic

OP
SunDog

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] yesterday we found Lupe sleeping on the guest room rugs; she never really goes in there! [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] we actually talked about looking into rescue etc. but since they are on a fixed income, we agreed it's more responsible to look into another breed. I'm seriously thinking about getting Lupe some training to work with the elderly and/or children patients.

Most Reactions