Poop problems ? Anal sacks??

nikkip410

Aug 5, 2011
STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
REX
Hii everyone .. Yesterday rex was having a little problem pooping .. I took him out for his walk and he began to poop .. A tiny bit came out like a hard rock and he screached in pain .. I then gave him pumpkin thinking he was constipated and that made him have to go ,.. So i took him out again and he tried 5 times and each time made that same loud screech and couldnt get it out .. So i took him to the vet and they said his anal sacks were filled up which caused it to be swollen down there .. Anyone ever have this same issue? And now that they released whatever it was that was in there will i have to do this all the time ?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I call them anal glands. Some dogs...not just bullies..have to have them "expressed" a lot..others no...now you know you will have to check them..err..have them checked...regularly ...poor guy...hate him hurting!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I know [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] takes her Vegas every 3 weeks or so to the vets to have them expressed. If not, he'll drag his butt on the floor. Maybe Rex will be the same.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance has had his glands expressed twice. The weird part it has never affected his bowel movement and he doesn't "scootch" across the floor, both of which tend to be the typical signs of gland issues. However, I am really REALLY sensitive to smell and backed up anal glands SMELL so I can tell a problem is coming before it gets there. (The vet laughs at me and Chance's dad doesn't really notice it...but I haven't been wrong yet.)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My Frenchton Louie has his anal glands expressed maybe a couple of times a year. He will scoot on his bottom a lot. Usually after he does his business. I've been putting a towel dipped in warm water against his bottom and massaging his glands gently. Just keep it there a minute or longer if you can. Those glands are suppose to release their substance every time a dog poops but sometimes it won't work that way so it builds up. In any case he LOVES when I do this and will back his rear up to me willingly. :ashamed: The things I do for my pooches!

cb6407aa.jpg

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I know [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] takes her Vegas every 3 weeks or so to the vets to have them expressed. If not, he'll drag his butt on the floor. Maybe Rex will be the same.

I do have to take Vegas about every 5 weeks to have his glands internally expressed. I know when to take him when he starts dragging his behind across my area rug. I have been taking him for over a year. I questioned why does he have to have this done and don't empty on his own because his poop it very solid and hard?? Vet says "bully's are just built this way", our vet does MANY bully's. Not all of them have to have it done, in fact many don't, Vegas just does.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My Cutty never had to have it done. I had his done when we went to the vets for the heck of it and it was always empty so I stopped years ago. Well one day this year when hubby took them to get their nails etc done I told him to have them try Cuttys for the heck of it cuz it had been forever. Turns out he did need it. Just not very often at all. My pug gets his done every month-2months and Cutty is more like 3 - 4 months. You will figure out how often after a few trips. My boys NEVER boot scoot so that isnt always a sign.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We are lucky, we don't do ours and I don't think they have ever been done. At least so far, don't want to jinks myself.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], i haven't had to get this done on T or F (yet) either! but then again, they're still kind of young. I wonder if this happens as bullies get older?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
BeBe is almost 5 yr.old and still good.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], i haven't had to get this done on T or F (yet) either! but then again, they're still kind of young. I wonder if this happens as bullies get older?
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], Vegas was over a year old when he started doing the boot scooten boogie across my area rug, I thought he might have worms so I took him to the vet, nope it was anal glands, since then it averages about every 5 weeks until I see the scooten that I have to take him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have to have sarahs done about every month. i can tell she needs it as she will lick her paws and try to spin on her bottom. sarah doesnt scoot she spins around. my boston licks his backside when he needs it and sometimes his will smell. i would do it about once a month and you will start to see signs usually that you will recognize after a bit and you will know its time.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.