Thoughts or opinions?

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Jack is great but still biting our girls like crazy. Some days are good and then some days are really bad. I've been toying with the idea of adopting another dog, not necessarily a bulldog. Jack gets alot of attention from us but doesn't get the opportunity to really play like puppies do. I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old so taking him out for playdates is impossible. My 2 yr old is a handful and I would need a second person to help and I just don't have that. The neighbor's dogs bark at Jack and its scaring him. They wouldn't hurt him but they're bigger so Jack is scared. So if you were to do this, would you adopt another male or would you look for a female? I'm convinced this will help things out here, my husband not so much. So any input is appreciated. If it matters, I'm a stay-at-home mom and we have a huge yard. So there is plenty of time and space for another dog.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Double the dog, double the trouble. So, if you can't handle one dog, chances are you will not be able to handle 2 dogs. And when you have 2 dogs that are not bonded to an alpha human, it is dangerous for your kids.

Now, if you have parakeets, it's a different story. Because, bonding with a parakeet is not absolutely necessary. We have 4 parakeets because we couldn't give 1 parakeet enough attention, so they're happy entertaining themselves. And with 4 of them bonded together it is almost impossible to train these guys to come to us and that's just fine. They can do their bird things and not have to worry to behave for us humans.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Now, on the biting. If you're worried Jack will bite your children then don't allow them to play together for now. You can train your dog not to bite. You probably already know the training required to stop the behavior. Just keep at it until your dog learns, then let them play together. You can have them be together during couch time or when you're out walking. Give Jack tons of toys to chew on to get the biting tendencies out of his system.

Last edited:

Theozzmandpg

Oct 27, 2011
Are you talking about biting like "oww" or mouthing. If you are talking about biting then you have a problem that another dog probably will not fix. The biting is more a dominance thing. If it is just mouthing(light biting without chomping down) then you need to have the kids help with training the dog. If the dog starts to mouth he just wants to play so stuff a toy in his mouth. Ozzy our pug was a biter, he would bite my wife hard because he wanted to establish dominance over her. This was when the spray bottle came out for us. A few quick sprays and telling him to "play nice" has calmed him down a bit. Daisy, our Bulldog, likes to mouth when she plays. She will mouth Ozzy or one of us to get our attention. What we have done is told her to play nice again and put a toy in her mouth. Now she just comes to us with a toy and nudges us with that to get our attention.

Overall you need to determine what the behavior is, is your dog playing or trying to be the boss over the little ones.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You have advice as far as the biting so I dont have much to add there. Now if you want a playmate for jack (and this is what i think you are asking) a boy or girl would work I think. When we had Cutty and wanted a brother for him we got Mugsy, a boy, and they have been best brothers ever since. Is Jack fixed? If you want a 2nd I would def get him fixed just because for me, Cutty wasnt and then got growly on me after some time. Not sure what triggered it exactly but once we got him neutered he reverted back to his cuddly self (99 % anyhow) As for the kids and biting, the puppy will help for Jack to have a playmate some but then you will have 2 pups who bite at the kids and this may be more of a challenge than you want too. Not much help I guess. lol sorry.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think I FINALLY agree with Anatess about something! :eek:..:ROFL: ..don't get another dog to make Jack happy! You can play with him without play dates. Throw a ball...tug a war..I would wait until Jack matures and your hands aren't so full! Jack will outgrow the biting soon enough and your girls will grow to be able to keep Jack entertained.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups will bite for attention or when they play, they will grow out of it. The more you work with them by putting a chew bone in their mouth when they want to bite the faster it stops. Sometimes if they will not take the bone and still wants to bite, give them a time out. I had a pup that I could tell when she was getting tired because she would want to bite and not take the bone. We would give her a time out in her crate (not for punishment) I would put her in there with a treat and she would soon take a nap. Just keep working with her. I don't think another dog would stop it, it could make things worse. I would get though the biting stage before adding another one. Just my opinion. Plus I have not seen any new pics in awhile. :D

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I think I FINALLY agree with Anatess about something! :eek:..:ROFL: ..don't get another dog to make Jack happy! You can play with him without play dates. Throw a ball...tug a war..I would wait until Jack matures and your hands aren't so full! Jack will outgrow the biting soon enough and your boys will grow to be able to keep Jack entertained.

SmileyShocked.png

Becky... I'm definitely marking this day down as a red letter day!!! YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Now, my next challenge is to post something else that [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] would agree to! I mean... besides the sky is blue and bullies are awesome...

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Now, my next challenge is to post something else that [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] would agree to! I mean... besides the sky is blue and bullies are awesome...
She might only agree to half of that..... Depending on the weather, or time of day. ;)

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
As far as biting--to add to what [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said...if it is "play puppy biting" I had success with Lucy as a pup making a cry/wimper sound when she would bite and hurt me (play bite of course) Sort of like what it would sound like if they bit their mama or a litter mate. They begin to realize that attention and play will stop if they bite. Re direct to nylabones, antlers whatever is an appropriate chew in your house. I also took kitchen towels (with no fuzz) knotted them, soaked them in water and let them freeze solid. If they are teething this will give some relief while they are in "time out". I have to add that if you give a dish towel you must supervise. Once the towel starts to melt they could eat the fabric and you will have another problem on your hands!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.