Long time no post!!! Need some advice...

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I have not been on in so long and I miss all the bullies!!!! I've just been having a rough pregnancy and other issues going on and no computer time it seems. As far as Bear he is onery as ever. Love that boy he certainly makes me smile, despite a small bout of losing his hair on his back, he is better than ever after some antibiotics and special shampoo. My poor beagle is not doing so well. This is one reason I am posting I wanted to see if anyone knew of a fantastic senior food, canned, to put him on. His back end is atrophied and he can barely walk, he was put on prednisone and well that inflamed his GI tract so instead of putting him in the hospital I decided to do his care at home including IV fluids, pain meds with needle (dr didn't want anything in by mouth), catheter, etc. After a week and half I have him walking again, albeit not good, and he is eating Hills Prescription Diet I/D. He won't eat anything else and i cannot get him to drink a thing, i've tried boullion in his water and adding water to his food. I just don't know what that aversion could be. I want to change his food but not sure what to use. I am probably going to stick to canned, he is doing well on that. I previously had him on Fromm Beef Frittata which is what Bear gets. I have another shipment coming next week so I want to add my beagle's food to it too. any advice would be great. We aren't sure how else to proceed with him but we are just trying to get him to where he will go outside. It has been extremely stressful and on top of that I am due to have my baby on Monday the 31st though I could go anytime. Ok now that I got all that out here are some updated photos of Bear Bear. Also him with my Beagle, lol.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

H

heff101

How old is your beagle?
I am assuming he is fairly aged?
Comes down perhaps to the decision one hates to have to make but sometimes one needs to look at quality of life rather then quantity.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We used the ID for a senior Rottie that took lots of meds..it helped settle her tummy. I'm sure it isn't the best..but she ate it and to be honest..at her age..all I wanted was for her to eat and be comfortable. I've been where you are (old dogs) many more times than I care to think about. But we learn so much from these senior babies...I wouldn't trade it for anything. Don't stress about the food..if he eats the ID..I would go with it. :hug:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help whatsoever but I am glad to see you! Monday, really?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? WOW! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and as busy as I know you are and will be dont forget to share the news and pics with us. ;) Bear is looking as handsome as ever!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] if the ID is working I think I would just keep him on it. Both of your babies are beauties. Thanks for the pics. Hope everything goes well with the birth of your skin baby and make sure and post pics of that little bundle of joy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so sorry you are having such a stressful time ,,, i have no advice, but wanted to wish you well with your upcoming birth.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sorry to hear about your troubles mammy. I wish I had the answer for you. Medically that food may be just what is needed, even tho it is not a preferred food. I would call your vet and find out if there is a medical reason for it. If not, you could try something else.

Please share pics of baby!!! Miss you xxoo

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Thank you everyone for the advice. I am not at the point to make a decision on whether or not to put my beagle down, he is way too alert, I can care for him, and he is thank God finally drinking some water. His quality of life at the moment isn't ideal but I owe it to him to try and get him better first before any rash decisions are made that I can't take back. He is indeed older at 14yrs but again I'd rather be stressed and give him the best care I can. The whole reason I didn't have him hospitalized is because something similar happened with my lab 2 years ago and the vets tried to get him better for a week before we decided we had to let him go. I preferred to care for Rocky at home so we didn't lose anytime with him. Thankfully my mother-in-law is living with us at the moment and she has been a tremendous help with my sick dog. She has even offered to stay with him while I have the baby even though she wants to be at the hospital.

I diluted beef boullion with water and been giving him a cup at a time with a small amount of dry fromm in it. He is taking it so I am going that route for the time being. I much prefer that to having to stick the IV needle in him which is huge and the office gave me a bunch of needles for it so he didn't have to have the IV in full time. He is getting better but I just don't know how we are going to get through the atrophy, i've been making him walk, massaging him, and for the first time in 2 weeks he has gone outside to walk around but still not strong enough to position himself to eliminate.

And of course I'll get skin baby pics up as soon as I can obviously with the Bear. [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] They are inducing me Monday due to the gestational diabetes, the baby has been doing fantastic despite needing insulin to keep my sugars under control. I could go through the weekend so I am just getting prepared at this point.

Did I mention again how much I love my Bear, he is such a snuggle monster and is just one of the best things in my life. I mean seriously how can you not love a dog that has to hike his leg up to pooh on sticker bushes, tree stumps, or on a tree???? He doesn't go like a normal dog. Nerd.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Bear poos on trees?!?!?! :haha: Thats a first I have heard. Sounds like you have a good set up and I dont blame you for not wanting him to be away from you either. Have you tried maybe some pedialite also? Maybe even little ice cubes made with it? The flavor might be enough to keep him interested for a bit anyhow. Heres to hoping they induce and it goes by fast! Are you getting an epidural? I cant remember if we have had this convo yet. lol

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
So sorry that you have these worries when you're just about to have your baby. Will pray for your beagle. So good of your mother-in-law to offer to watch him. Bear is a doll. Will be thinking of you on Halloween. I almost gave birth on Halloween to my youngest daughter but I didn't deliver till the following morning. Still I always remember every Halloween that my daughter gave me such a kick and broke my water! Sorry for the T.M.I guys.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Eagerly awaiting news of the brand new baby! I guess we have to wait a while for mommy to recover... ooooohhh exciting!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.