Question about bulldog(possible mix)?

Theozzmandpg

Oct 27, 2011
Ok, first of all, please don't come down on my when I say that I bought my Bulldog from a petstore. It is my first post on the site so read through the explanation before getting upset with me.

So, normally I would not buy a dog from the pet store, you just don't know what you are getting. My wife and I went to the pet store near the house for some bunny supplies and a new bone for our pug Ozzy. While we were there we walked past the puppies(big mistake). We see this bulldog there and we stop to take a look. One of the workers sees up stop and asks if we would like to see her because no one has really been looking at her. I say we aren't interested and she says, just play with her for a min. My wife gives in (again, big mistake) and we go in the little playroom. The worker explains to us that they are having problems selling her because she is kind of a cluts. She gets in the room with a little kid, bumps into the kid, then the parents instantly want a smaller dog. We play with her for a few min, we have the worker put her back, we buy our supplies and we leave.

4 weeks later we go back to the pet store, that same bulldog is still there. To make maters worse, she is getting bigger so her clumsiness is not getting any better with the little kids. At that point we made a "family decision" to take her home. My wife and I consider her a rescue because she was at that pet store for 70 days while most dogs there only stay half that time. Daisy has been a great addition to our family and gets along with Ozzy great.

Ok, so the question that I have is, even though Daisy has all of her papers and information, I'm not sure if she is 100% English bulldog. I am looking at this from a purely health issue perspective when I want to know what might be mixed in with her. She seems to have a longer snout and she is not as bulky as most bulldogs. I have included two pictures below and was wondering if anyone else things she might be mixed or if some English Bulldogs have some features that resemble an American Bulldog. I just want to watch for any problems that could occur with her because of another breed that is mixed in. Thanks.
P1130504.jpgP7070580.jpg

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
You have her AKC papers? I suggest you contact the AKC or go to their online website and do a bit of research. Both Dame and Sire should have a registration number that you can check to see the info on their breed history

OP
T

Theozzmandpg

Oct 27, 2011
I have papers but they are not AKC, it is from some other organization like it. We do have a full linage for her but because it isn't the AKC i have to wonder a bit.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
It is a rock and a hard place with pet stores. You don't want to leave the puppy but you also don't want to support them either. And then again you have the problem you are having now... its heritage. Where did they get the puppy? I don't know how much info the AKC has. I know our ruler's AKC records only give names... they don't specifically state the grandparents are english bulls or cows. ;)
She is what she is.... just be happy she is no longer sitting in that pet store.
And btw :welcome: to EBN. Glad you joined and don't be shy about asking questions. This site is a wealth of information on Bullies,,,, purebred or not ;) Enjoy the site. :)

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
good advice above, but to me she definately looks like an american bulldog. but she and your pug are both very cute!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
OK first welcome to the site, and glad to have you here. I know we preach not to buy from pet stores, but thanks for rescuing her from that cage, no telling what may have happened to her later. Anyway she looks like she has either Old English or American Bulldog in her. I'm leaning toward Old English Bulldog. Was her papers from CKC (Continental Kennel Club)? They register these mix breeds. If She is mixed with Old English or American you should still have a good dog, as long as both sire and Damm were health, but you never know what you get from a pet store. People mix English and Old English quite a bit and they are great dogs. She is very pretty and should make a wonderful addition to your family. Please send more pics, would love to see them.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
First off, welcome! This site doesnt bash so no worries there. We welcome ALL bulldogs mixed, show quality, pet stores etc. They are all fur babies who need love right? You pug is adorable too by the way, how old? I do think your baby looks like it is mixed but I would think so long as the parents are healthy and there are no problems now that it would more likely make a healthier pup than cuz american and olde english have less health problems from what I have read. On a side note, one of my absolute fav puppies ever is an olde english, they are just beautiful. Congrats on your new baby and thank you for saving her from being there any longer. I cant imagine the life they have living in a pet store. :( We love pics here so you know, you might wanna keep sharing. ;)

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Welcome!! At least she's in good hands now. Hopefully the pet store realizes how hard she was to sell and doesn't get any more. A pet store near us did that. The thought the bully would go instantly but didn't. They were at the point of giving him to my husband because he was getting too big. He did end up selling, but I haven't seen another bully in the store since. Wether yours is mixed or not she's a cutie. If she is a mix, it shouldn't matter with what if your not breeding or showing her. Health wise, just expect all the normal bully issues LOL!! Temperament wise... I fell it's on in how their raised, so you should be fine.

OP
T

Theozzmandpg

Oct 27, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. Someone asked about ages so Ozzy(pug) is 2 and Daisy is one and a half. After we purchased Daisy we actually stopped buy from that pet store because we just didn't want to look at the dogs anymore. I just can't help it, I like to look at them but then I always walk away depressed. I will have to look at which organization her papers came from because I am not sure right off the top of my head but I will post it later. I have been looking for a good Bulldog community because as you all know, they can be a handful and I like to read how others are handling the same problems. Thanks again.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You know they do test for genes in pups also, if you are really that curious. I know my in laws couldnt tell what they had and were thinking their pup was part wolf. (got from shelter) Had the testing done for like 100 bucks and came back showing a few breeds and mainly husky. Was worth it to them just to know.
I am very partial to puggies having my Mugsy and all. Your baby is cute and looks young in the pics. They both are adorable! Hope you enjoy the site as much as we all do, dont be shy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my how beautiful they both are.... I'm going with a American/English mix, but if you could get a pic of her standing

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Daisy is a pretty girl. Regardless of where she came from or her lineage it sounds like she was one of the lucky ones that found the perfect family for her. That is what's most important!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Regardless of lineage. I must point out how great she looks!!! Her white is almost blinding, her coat is shiney and her eyes are bright! Beautiful- keep doing what you are doing cuz she looks fabulous!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
First thing I noticed is how happy and healthy your dogs look! You must be taking very good care of them.

I almost did the same thing as you. I went to a pet store to get some new dog toys and I saw the cutest little puggle. I felt so sorry for it in that little window. He was sweetly chewing a toy and it hurt me to see him in what seemed like an aquarium style display. Luckily my daughter was with me and dragged me out of that store. I also wanted to check a couple of weeks later to see if it was still there but I knew if I did I'd be weak and bring it home. I called the store and asked where did their puppies come from and the store clerk told me they came from a puppy broker. Not good. Didn't do it.

I get it about the wanting to know their heritage. I have a mixed breed dog that was sold to me as a French Bulldog, Louie (Pennysaver ad and no papers-a double no no). Soon after I got him a companion a French Bulldog named (Toby) who did have papers. Well they were both 2 months old and as they grew I became aware that one was looking so much more like a Boston Terrier. Now I realize that he looks like a mix of both Boston Terrier and French Bulldog which carries the designer name of Frenchton. He's 3 now and just as cherished as my other dogs. Although I'm a little curious to know more I don't feel it's worth the cost of finding out. BTW Frenchtons are very GASSY!!!! YIKES!!! :blush2:

LouieToby.jpg

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I personally think she looks like an English Bulldog, just a young one. They do not quit growing until around the age of two. Vegas really started filling out and getting a huge wrinkle above his nose just after he turned 1.

Most Reactions

Members online