OH NO!!!!! :eek:

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
OH NO!!!!!

RAMBO AND DIAMOND GOT FLEAS!!!!!!!

I have no idea how the hell that happened!
they both have been in the house but to go outside and pee, there has never been a flea problem here!!!
We dont want to use frontline because we just dont want to use chemicals on them :nope:
But we just don't know what to do, any thoughts?

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
If its only a couple of fleas you found then a good flea shampoo will get rid of them. Do it right away before they lay eggs. Fumigate your yard and if you are concerned with the chemicals, then dont let them out into your yard for a couple of days.

Also, remember to wash their bedding in a bucket outside the home and inspect them for fleas ..
Good luck...

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Re: OH NO!!!!!

I've sprayed with Spectracide on my lawn and found good results.
You can find this in the lawn & garden section of dept stores .

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

I've sprayed with Spectracide on my lawn and found good results.
You can find this in the lawn & garden section of dept stores .
never heard of this and have no fleas to speak of but I am all for cleaning up the lawn bugs. :) Got me curious.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just found out about Dawn dish soap and fleas! My daughter rescued a tiny kitten and he was covered with HUGE fleas! I called a local pet store that rescues cats and she gave me this tip. It was kitten/cat based but I'm sure it can be adapted to dogs! I filled up the sink..put kitten in water up to his neck. After he was WET..I took him out of water and on a towel..I saturated him with original Dawn..worked into a lather and let sit as long as I could. If you put Vaseline around the eyes..NOT in the eyes..you will catch any fleas heading for safety! After about 10 minutes..I rinsed him very well..and I actually did a second lathering because the fleas were sooo bad! It was amazing..the big blood filled suckers actually started DIEING! Poor kitten had some attached and many bloody sores. We were prepared to repeat in a few days..but so far so excellent! :hmm: you know..since Dawn works to get petroleum off oil soaked birds..AND KILLS fleas. .I'm not sure we should be washing dishes in it! :laugh:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
spectracide triazicide to be exact.

SPECTRICIDE.jpg

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Here's what I found in a natural group I subsribe to. Also added are preventatives.:

Taking B1 (or brewers yeast), using DE externally, adding garlic to the food as well will work. Avoid eating very sweet tasting foods (sweet carbs tend to make the blood attractive to blood sucking insects). Fleas also dislike the smell of geranium. Using orange cleaning (like Orange-a-peel) products mixed with murphy's oil soap will kill fleas & the larvae & eggs on the floors and you can bathe the dog using those as well if they are infested. Plain old ivory soap (dish detergent) will also kill them on the dog as will sunlight bar soap or any fatty acid bar soap. Also using cedar bedding in WELL VENTILATED areas will help as cedar phenols kills fleas (it can be harmful to animals and humans if breathed in constantly in poorly ventilated areas).

Great health will prevent fleas generally. If you want some good repellent properties, that will make your animals distasteful to fleas, adding brewerā€™s yeast to their food will work. A little DE sprinkled around the base boards, under furniture and in carpeting will so the rest (add some salt to it and it will work VERY quickly to kill fleas and larvae).

Diatomaceous Earth.. I get drug store beatles living
in South Fla.. I sprinkle it into my cabinets to keep
the buggers out of my food.. you can get it on line

And when you buy DE, only get the food grade kind. There are some brands of DE that have rotenone in it (a plant that is highly toxic and used as an insecticide) and you canā€™t use that internally, and then there is the DE that is used in swimming pool filters which wonā€™t work because it is heat treated and that ruins itā€™s dehydrating properties. So only purchase food grade DE for both worming and sprinkling the floor boards. :eek:))

Borax is not toxic unless breathed in in fairly big amounts. I use borax ALL the timeā€¦.i put it in my floor wash water and wash all my dog stuff and beds with it added to the laundry as well. I ALWAYS wash my floors with a couple of heaping tablespoons of borax in the water. I never have fleas due to this. You can sprinkle borax into carpets and leave it there (sprinkle AFTER vacuuming). The best thing though would be to mix it to dissolved in hot water, and put in a spray bottle and spray the carpets with the dissolved solution.

And to add, I leave a little Borax in my garbage bin all the time, esp during summer. Haven't had maggots growing ever since.

Last edited:
OP
Danielle Cope

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
the weird thing about this is its getting towards the END of flea season, its getting cold! were definitely spraying the backyard today, thank you all for the great tips! I'm def. gonna try that dawn dish soap idea, that sounds like a good remedy :) but today will be full on cleaning day in the house, washing their blankets, taking the crates out and spraying those, vaccuming the area, and if I have spray left ill do the couches and under the couches. This is so not fun :( and poor rambo he cant reach all his itchy spots so the few fleas I have found are driving him mad already haha, we just spotted this yesterday, so I hope we caught it early.

Disinfecting day has begun! haha

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There is some great advise above, plus if you are giving heart worm preventative, these usually will work on fleas as well, it does not fill them but will make the fleas sterile so their eggs will not hatch.

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack

RAMBO AND DIAMOND GOT FLEAS!!!!!!!

I have no idea how the hell that happened!
they both have been in the house but to go outside and pee, there has never been a flea problem here!!!
We dont want to use frontline because we just dont want to use chemicals on them :nope:
But we just don't know what to do, any thoughts?

At the beginning of the summer, my cat brought in fleas. We were a little late in getting the frontline on him so we had a professional exterminator come in. It would help for a couple of weeks and then the fleas would be back again. The frontline worked great on the cat, its the fleas in the house we couldn't kill. I researched online and found something that really works. Take boric acid powder and sprinkle it on your carpet. Take a broom and work the powder into the carpet and then vacuum. The smallest particles of the boric acid will get down into the carpet to kill the fleas but won't hurt anyone. My 2 yr old played on the floor after this with no problems. We had to keep calling the exterminator in until we did this. We also bought some cheap flea collars and threw them into the vacuum cleaner bag. This worked for us with no problems, however we didn't have our bulldog at the time either. But the cat wasn't affected by the boric acid and neither were my kids. Do a search on boric acid and fleas and you can find instructions in better details. Good luck!

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I forgot to add that the exterminator recommended vacuuming everyday and throwing out the vacuum cleaner bag each time. It got too expensive to throw out the bag which is why I put the flea collars in the bag. But the boric acid can be found on amazon.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

At the beginning of the summer, my cat brought in fleas. We were a little late in getting the frontline on him so we had a professional exterminator come in. It would help for a couple of weeks and then the fleas would be back again. The frontline worked great on the cat, its the fleas in the house we couldn't kill. I researched online and found something that really works. Take boric acid powder and sprinkle it on your carpet. Take a broom and work the powder into the carpet and then vacuum. The smallest particles of the boric acid will get down into the carpet to kill the fleas but won't hurt anyone. My 2 yr old played on the floor after this with no problems. We had to keep calling the exterminator in until we did this. We also bought some cheap flea collars and threw them into the vacuum cleaner bag. This worked for us with no problems, however we didn't have our bulldog at the time either. But the cat wasn't affected by the boric acid and neither were my kids. Do a search on boric acid and fleas and you can find instructions in better details. Good luck!
I KNEW THE CAT "DID IT"!!! Yup...THE CAT ALWAYS DOES IT!!! :ROFL:

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack

LOL Usually our cat really is the culprit when it comes to the mayhem. He's the one who turns the trashcan over, teases the dog and then smacks him, begs at the kitchen table, etc etc.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online