Help! Raising 2 male littermate puppies.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We have 3 females, and females will fight more than males will usually. Two were bought at the same time but were different ages by 5 months. They would fight every once in awhile but not much anymore. I only had to "pin" them down once and after that if they fought I would just say "hey, knock it off" and they would stop. I can usually see the the fight coming and stop it before it starts. Now that they are older, everyone gets along fine. It is always best to have a male and female, but both sexes can live together, it's just how you train them and show them you are the alpha. I guess I'm lucky because I have grown up with dogs all my life and have always been 'in tune" if you will, with dogs, for lack of a better explanation. haha I kind of understand them and just have a way with them. I have learned a lot though the years by watching and listening to others as well. As stated earlier if you have never owned a dog before it may not be the best idea to have two males. But with work and doing your homework it can happen. It helps to raise them as litter mate as well, just my opinion, because I have done it.

As far as the play fighting, pups will play and should be able to play together. They will bite each other and this is normal. It's when they start to get louder and more excited, is when you step in to stop it. Give them each a chew bone to redirect them for a little time out. It is healthy for them to play together. You will know if they are fighting and if the playing turns into a fight you will now because their growls will be a different pitch and louder. When that happens you may have to pin them as describe above and don't let them up until they both are submissive. Anytime you are not sure of something or have a question please let us know. We are always here for each other. There are a lot of opinions out there as to how to raise or train dogs and some are better than others, you need to find what works for you.

You sound just like my husband! Yeah, he grew up with dogs too and he has never had formal training or anything like that. He learned everything by experience. His very first dog (that's his, not the family's) was a rottweiler mix when he was about 10. And he made so many mistakes with the dog that he got several citations for complaints from the neighbors, etc. One time, the city almost took the dog because he chased the mailman. Now, all of it has become instinctive. You know what's really crazy - that same pack leadership trait that I see in my husband is the same leadership trait he shows to my kids.

Okay, this is why I say I will never be alpha dog to a pack without my husband. We have 2 boys (children) and I don't have enough fortitude to discipline them. I always feel they don't listen to me. I tell them to do something and it seems like I have to say it 5 times before they do it. My husband comes home, he tells them to do something and he never has to repeat it. Waaaa. Yeah, I can be such a loser.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] I would not call you a loser, it's just kids. I would do the same thing with my mom too. I knew what I could get away with. haha As far as dogs go, I once walked up to a friends house for the first time and their dog was out and at the front door. I looked at the dog and it made a low growl and walked off into the bushes. My friend came to the dog and saw the dog and freaked. You did not get bite? They asked, I said no, and they said I am the only person that has walked up to the door that the dog did not bite. :eek: Go figure. haha

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] I would not call you a loser, it's just kids. I would do the same thing with my mom too. I knew what I could get away with. haha As far as dogs go, I once walked up to a friends house for the first time and their dog was out and at the front door. I looked at the dog and it made a low growl and walked off into the bushes. My friend came to the dog and saw the dog and freaked. You did not get bite? They asked, I said no, and they said I am the only person that has walked up to the door that the dog did not bite. :eek: Go figure. haha

haha lucky! BUT I bet the dog could sense your energy and knew you loved animals. ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] haha either that or he knew I would not taste good. :ROFL:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=3524]CliffandGriff[/MENTION] I bread my Dolly, she had 11 healthy pups, I kept 3 pups out of the litter, two female and one male. I have no personality problems what so ever, the females lay on each other to sleep and the three of them have never been separated from each other, ever. I would do this all over again. They will be 1 on November 30.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
There's some great advice up there. Keep a strong hand on each of them and always always be the pack leader. There had been many of many of times where I came home and the boys as we called them had scraped. Occasionally with a minor face tooth wound or a splatter of blood on the wall. They never killed each other and it was always Ace that took the burnt of Orion but it was probably always Ace that started it as he was the more gamier of the two. I would do it all over again as I personally LOVED :luv: the bond they had. I've only had male dogs so I wouldn't know any difference. I was and am the Alpha in my house. I don't put up with much and even put them in their place like holding them down if needed to submit to me. It's all good. :)

Wilson and Jack have quite the bond too and when we rescued Jack at 4 months old and Wilson was 3 months. I knew then that Wilson's attention wouldn't be focused on me as they were both pups.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It really all depends on your ability to be the alpha/pack leader. Male/Male or Female/female... is all irrelevant if you and not in charge.
I think you have a great plan laid out... you may want to change your walk, to walking together, dogs on either end and humans in the middle keeping them in line with you - do not let them walk in front of you as that is preceived as 'leader'.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN!

OP
C

CliffandGriff

Oct 25, 2011
Thanks everyone for the latest responses. I must say I'm very impressed with the warmth, detailed level of advice, etc. on here. You all are great! Attached are a few pics of our boys. Love them! Griffin is the boy with the ear patch and Cliff is the one with the eye patch.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 93
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 97

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG... cuteness over-load. I love them!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Awww way too cute, they are just adorable.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
CUTENESS OVERLOAD! I love the Radio Flyer picture!

I mean, okay, if you are faced with those 2 cutie-pies, how can you say No???

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.