How Old Until You Neuter An English Bulldog

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty
How Old Until You Neuter An English Bulldog?

Many say English Bulldogs can grow "slowly" and wait until age 3 for full growth...

Others say after 6 months? Isn't that too early and can "stunt his growth/stop him from his full potential?

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
With a male we were told to wait until 18-24 months because they need that testosterone. Until I heard this I always thought the sooner the better.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We were told by our vet, who's a bully vet, to wait until at least a year. Wilson's almost 10 months and Jack our other pup is 11 months. Both will be neutered probably in February or March. Right now Wilson's on a humping fest and and only marks outside, and he only just started doing that.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I made the call when Moe humped the neighbor girl and her Gandmother @ 7 months... was fearful that he would start marking next.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My vet normally recommends 1year of age but since Finn had the urethral prolapse, she recommended he get it done ASAP. I had Tate get it done at the same time. They are both 7 and 8mos old.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet also recommends to wait at least until 18 months. Some people have done theirs sooner and they grew up just fine. So I guess it just depends on who you ask.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
CBRR's bullie vet, Dr. Pam (River Road Animal Hospital, Puyallup, WA) said to wait "as long as you can" or until at least 9 months old. *shrugs* I got him fixed at 7 months. He's big enough. hahahaha

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
I think they will get bigger if you don't..Taser is 7 1/2 months and is doing good....never marks or rarely humps anything....but we teach him not to.

OP
Rusty

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty
Any more advise would be appreciated, our vet said 6 months is fine to neuter but I too heard wait a year, but isn't a year and six months too long? Like the older the male bulldogs get and you neuter them
the worst it is for them because they will get "confused" of what happened to them/I don't feel like a male and they get depressed and eat too much of of depression?

Any help?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I was told a year from the breeder I bought him from..

Vet's will always say as to do it as soon as possible.. maybe that's just the pessimist in me.... but If I were a car mechanic, I'd would tell you tell bring me your car as often as possible...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It really is a personal decisuion, but our vet suggested anytime after 6 months but no older than a year. We had both our boy done at 7 months

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
my vet told me after 6 months as well. Watson is 8.5 months and he is getting neutered in a couple of weeks. I wanted to hold off as long as as could so his body could fill out and have more of the bully look but I gave in because he is starting to mark. He hasn't quite picked up his leg but he will walk next to a bush and lean his wee wee over and pee in the bush. It is actually very funny looking.

OP
Rusty

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty
I asked the same thing, my first English Bulldog raised his leg and higher so bigger dogs can smell it, but my English Bulldog that I recently have doesn't do that, vet said not all do and it's normal anybody know about this? Also, is a year and 6 months too long? On the safe side, I'm going to wait for a year. More suggestions will be appreciated thanks.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.