Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An English Bulldog or an Olde English Bulldog

Default An English Bulldog or an Olde English Bulldog

I am currently on the hunt for an english bulldog. I have found a little guy and am currently talking to the representative from a rescue. But, this little boy looks like an olde english bulldog. He is taller and 60 pounds at 2 years old and it is solid muscle. I have emailed the rescue stating my concerns. You see I can have an english at my apartment. But from what I have researched the Olde English is an english and pit bull/mastiff mix. In which case, I can't get him. My apartment does not allow pits or mastiff breeds. Is it true that the Olde English is an english and pit/mastiff mix?

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: An English Bulldog or an Olde English Bulldog

I would have to see a pic of him, usually they are bigger and weighing close to 100 lbs. Here is what I found on the net about the breed.

Historians are fairly confident that the Old English bulldog is derived from ancient war dogs, such as the old Mastiff or Alaunt. Others believe that the true origin of the breed is not entirely clear. Depictions in old prints show that the variety was without doubt a small Mastiff, with a comparatively long head. The word 'Mastiff' was eventually dropped when describing these smaller Mastiffs, as the Mastiff proper was found too slow for bull-baiting. Eventually, the Greyhound was crossed into the breed, increasing the mastiff's speed without losing the breed's ferocity. This step reduced the Old English bulldog's size and weight, with the Greyhound's features seen in specimens of that time.

One contemporary recreation of the breed is called the Olde English Bulldogge. Starting in the 1970s, a breeding program developed for cattle at Ohio State University was used, with the aim of recreating the Old English bulldog. This modern day version, though possessing similar physical abilities, does not have the violent temperament of the Old English bulldog. This recreation was done by line-breeding to create a breed with a foundation of half bulldog, and the other half Bullmastiff, American Pit Bull Terrier, and American Bulldog.
    Last edited by Davidh; 10-26-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

For a 2 year old 60 pounds isn't all that big. Ive even seen some EB's that weigh 75 lbs, so He may be an EB? Like @Davidh said, OEB's tend to be closer to 100 lbs. They are more the size/build of a boxer. At least the ones I've seen have been, but they have a flatter bully face than boxers do.

Bulldog(s) Names
    jameson and titan
    Likes (Received)

my boyfriends bullie has olde english in him but he is considered an english bulldog...his is tall, lanky and 75 pounds....i would just tell the apartment complex he is an english bulldog because that is what he is....
    Last edited by nyerathrt; 10-27-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Mine are full bred english bulldogs and they are taller and weigh close to 60 pounds.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

The Old English Bulldog and the English Bulldog come from the same historical background. The only difference between the two is that the English Bulldog is an Old English Bulldog with Pug characteristics bred into it, hence it is shorter and smaller.

So, it's kinda silly to allow English but not Old English in an apartment because of the breed mix unless they have a rule that says - only pugs and pug mixes allowed...
    Last edited by anatess; 10-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

My Jake has long legs..compared to ALL his brothers..and is still filling out..I don't think the length of the legs can be much of a barometer as these dogs vary even in the same litter!

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Vegas is 2 and a half and has weighed 63 for a year and a half. He is full blooded English. I would tell tell your apt. complex he is an English Bulldog period.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rusty
    Likes (Received)

So wait a minute, I'm confused here, I've seen medium low ground stocky bulldogs, and those that are bit taller and "skinner/lean" just to say that they are "lean" because they still got muscles... what's the difference here, I'm confused... I've heard breeds say they all pure english bulldog... what is "pure" or "original"

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

Olde English bulldogs are not a "mix". If they will let you have an EB they should let you have an OEB. Most male EBs at 2 yrs of age are around 60lbs. and OEB in comparison would be about 75 and American Bulldogs are the ones who are bigger....closer to 90lbs. OEB are very similar to EBs and like mentioned above...come from the same background.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Bulldog(s) Names
    Valentine and Dolly
    Likes (Received)

We have an OEB...she's the black/white pup in my pics. She's a first generation...her dad is purebred EB and her mom is 50/50 American Bulldog/EB. She is not a pitbull or mastiff.We adopted our first OEB from a rescue so we don't know her exact lineage but she was much taller than our OEB we currently have. She was the most amazing dog I've ever known...we miss her every day.Anyway...there are some breeders who have used questionable breeding practices for the OEB but our experience so far has been awesome.I would just "he's a bulldog".

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I'd hate to see this guy get the dog and then have the apt complex give him grief over the dog's lineage though. That would mean another homeless dog - or having to move. That's not good.

What does the dog look like? Bea and Bo couldn't look more different - but they are both English Bulldogs and I have their papers to prove it. Unknowing people frequently think they're a different breed when they see them together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads