wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness has been biting his nails ESP the nail on the side of his foot, is this normal? I look at this nail on the side and it's half bit off!! their is no blood or anything but I am worried about him. any advice?? also in between his paws are very red. I'm assuming allergies and he is licking and biting to stop the itching. He is on Fromm pork and applesauce. Going to have an allergy test done

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke did this to his dew claws.... sounds like your boy may be allergic to the grass/weeds. Wipe his paws when he comes in and give him a foot bath in espsom salt/warm water a few times a week -- it will help till you get the results from the allergy test and know for sure.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would clean his paw with some hydrogen peroxide and maybe put some nepsporin in between his toes or some dexiten, and that should help. Hope the allergy test works.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It really does sound like it's some kind of allergy to something outside. I know that here in Ohio we have had such a rainy, wet, damp year that they say the spores are much higher than normal and a lot of my dogs are itching more than normal.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Maybe try the grain free fromm? They have the surf and turf and then the beef frittata. Def sounds like an allergy but havent heard of the nail biting. Gosh if you could get him to bite all of them that would be nice huh? :lol:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], it is most probably from the grass. Has he had this issue since being on the Pork ?

Also, try not to let him watch the Miami Dolphins play on Sundays.... I'm having the same nail issue myself.... :tongue:

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Having a similar issue with Lola. She is chewing at her dewclaws and the area where the nail comes out is red and irritated. I've been cleaning them with witch hazel and putting neosporin on for a couple of days, but I haven't seen much improvement. She just likes to lick off the neosporin:D She is on Fromm Surf and Turf.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I agree with @2BullyMama , it is most probably from the grass. Has he had this issue since being on the Pork ?

Also, try not to let him watch the Miami Dolphins play on Sundays.... I'm having the same nail issue myself.... :tongue:

Think you'd better change teams.... may I suggest Green Bay.??? :p:p:p

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@BruceP I dont look too good in green & yellow..
:tease:

Edit: Darn, that souded kinda girlie ..
I think my man card is going to be suspended for a week.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
@BruceP I dont look too good in green & yellow..
:tease:

Edit: Darn, that souded kinda girlie ..
I think my man card is going to be suspended for a week.

if this were a miller lite commercial that would have been the first unmanly thing you have done today :)

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], it is most probably from the grass. Has he had this issue since being on the Pork ?

Funny you say that as I am a dolphins fan living up here in New England

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
the allergy test is coming up on Friday, or so i hope. When I called to schedule they asked if the test was approved by the vet already??? I havent had it approved, nor did I think I had too. I am going to push for it, he has been having skin issues and now issues with his paw for the last 3 months almost, and it's not fully healed yet

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.