Bully's and Leather Furniture..HELP!!!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
OK, so not only did we buy the house based upon Vegas's needs, fenced in yard, and a baby gate around the pool.

Today we go to buy a new bedroom suit and ended up buying a new living room suit as well, :lol:,

It was a great deal and real Italian Leather!! Joe first said he was worried that Vegas's nails would scratch and I more than re-assured him that EVERYONE on here recommends leather furniture for the bully's.

So now I need your help, HOW DO I KEEP SCRATCHES OFF THE LEATHER????? I remember reading so many post that leather was the best way to go, no scrubbing slobber marks, no fur on the furniture, etc....

I do have Vegas's nails dremeled, but I need an answer quick!! It is being delivered tomorrow night!!! I did run my own nail very hard on the display couch to see if it would scratch and nothing happened.

Tell me quickly what you do to protect your leather from scratches, or I will be sleeping in Vegas's crate!!!!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't know..but I'll be paying close attention..because I JUST told my daughter I want her like brand new leather sofa..she's getting a bigger one and I love her old one..for the hair and goober issues! :laugh:... Please get the answer Kelly!

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I KNOW [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] has posted on this, Hurry Alice I have 24 hours to have the answer!!!! I sooo convinced Joe that they would not scratch up due to bully nails, I know you have a leather couch so come on, get online!!! LOL!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have leather and don't really notice scratches either, I know there may be some but if my bullies do it I figure it adds character. :p I do know don't let them chew their bones on it, Lucy chewed her bone on the loveseat and it rubbed the color off after awhile. I will always have leather from now on, easy cleaning. So what's a bully scratch between friends. :ROFL:

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], the store told us we would have to treat the leather about every 6 months with a conditioner, what do you use? I obviously have never had leather furniture. Thanks!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] We don't use anything, the story told us the same thing but we never did and it is about 5 years old now and still looks good.

H

heff101

Our leather couches (1 set upstairs 1 set downstairs) have both survived a Jack Russell, Basset Hound, Pitbull and now Bulldog.
Not 1 scratch rip etc.
I would not worry about it.
Then again I guarantee nothing!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
We have leather too and so much nicer. Our last cloth set the nails would make the fibers pull and run. Every once in a blue moon, Bella will scratch it a little (her nails are clipped less frequently due to black and her wiggles) but it is very very surface and after I rub it a little, it goes away. We have had our set over a year and we have never had to condition it. I do keep a blanket on the cushions, not for the dogs but for me. I find the leather radiates heat and it get too hot for me to sit on it for long.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
I have leather sofa's myself , few things I do with them...........
Get a good rub in leather conditioner that you can condition about every 3 months. In between those time some Spray On ARMOR ALL leather cleaner works well. Just spray it on and wipe. Also if you are still concerned about scratches which can happen with nails then invest in some of those pet seat covers made for sofa's . I take them off when the dogs are not around that part of the house or when company comes over. The padded ones wash easy

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
@KMARINO and @JAKEISGREAT our cat is the one who has raised havoc with our leather furniture. The dogs scratch a little it when they nest but they wouldn't if they could have a blanket or pillow on the couch or recliner (or floor, for that matter). They can't have blankies or pillows because Ruggles eats them. They have played chase on the couch and loveseat which has caused a scratch or two, but I get after them when they rough house on the furniture. Honestly, I wouldn't have anything but leather with these shedding, slobbering Bulldogs. I clean it with a damp rag every other day and before company comes. Also, I use Lexol-pH to clean it about once a year then I use Stainsafe protection cream. We have huge windows that face South and the sun and our cat have been harder on our furniture than any Bulldog. Our furniture is 7 years old!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have leather... 11 years old... no treatment and no scratches. Nitshcke and Banks both were on the furniture the day they came home.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION], thanks I knew you had posted how great they are, I think we will be OK with our choices. Thanks for all that responded, at least now I wont be in the dog crate!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.