Anyone ever had this reaction?

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Today Roscoe went with me to Petsmart. A little boy came up to pet him and his mother jerked him away and told him that 'Those bull breeds bite. Don't pet him.'
I ran into the same problem when I take him to the dog park. I've had people tell me that he looks mean and they're afraid to pet him.

Have any of you ever had a problem with people thinking your bully is vicious or mean? I guess the idea seems so silly to me because I know what a big loving goofball Roscoe is.

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Yes.. My boo's are just 11 weeks and still there are some people who are afraid of him.. They seems to have the idea that bullies are vicious dog.

But i kinda like if people are a bit afraid.. So they'll never mess with my boo.. 

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We have had all sorts of reactions. Many more positive than negative though. If I would have had a mom tell their kid that in front of me though I would have had to educate her and tell her she was misinformed and English Bulldogs are bred for their sweet temperament.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Really? Actually I haven't gotten that reaction at all yet. Bubba is like the celebrity at the dog park! Everyone knows him. He is super friendly to everyone he meets and his whole body wiggles and he gets this silly look to his face when he sees anyone. I agree. I would have actually had to educate that Mom.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We have had all sorts of reactions. Many more positive than negative though. If I would have had a mom tell their kid that in front of me though I would have had to educate her and tell her she was misinformed and English Bulldogs are bred for their sweet temperament.

BINGO!

My experience has been overwhelmingly positive. In fact, it's hard to get any shopping done if I take these two into a Petco/PetSmart. Everybody wants to pet the bulldogs. We use the experience to practice manners - which, so far, has been mostly a failure ---- and it's ALL MY FAULT I know! I let them get away with murder.

The retirement set, here in my complex, can get a little hinky about them at first...fearing that they'll eat their Yorkies and Teacup Poodles...but the fact is that my dogs are generally better behaved than their fluffy little counterparts. Bo just wants to play with the dog - whomever it is - and Bea wants so slide by the dog to get to the person so she can have some one on one adoration time. The other day, I had to school my boxer-having neighbor on English Bulldog history because she said something totally random - and incorrect - about bulldogs in general. [MENTION=3197]kayrahbear[/MENTION] - craft your standard response for that. You will be ready when it happens again - and it will!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well yes most of my reactions to sarah in petco or petsmart have been postitive but i have had the occasional one who is scared to pet her or there kids want to but are afraid. i tell them she loves them and all people and bend down to hold her and they come running over usually. i have had a few kids actually scream and run when they saw her. i just laugh its ok with me. i had a lady just last night when i was walking her around the pizza hut ( dont ask) want to pet her but was scared of her as she was pulling to get to her. i said you have to pet her now she has seen you and i went closer and bent down to hold sarah and she petted her and went inside pizza hut and was telling everyone about sarah. lol. there are going to be those people who are scared and the more people you tell how it really is the more who will know. :bully: rule.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
No Brooklyn has never gotten this reaction, probably because there is NO WAY to mistake her as vicious when she is laying on the floor wiggling her body and shaking with delight that someone new is playing with her. She has picked up a new barking habit though, from the nasty little dogs that live next door. If that continues people might think she's scary.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I havent had this so much yet either but wouldnt be shocked thats for sure. Mostly our pups do get star treatment when at the park and at the worst so far kids will ask fi they can pet and if they are mean or if they bite? But that is a good kid. Havent had the negative attention like that yet but I do expect it cuz people are sooo confused when it comes to bully breeds. As if they are all the same dog right? There are so many types and that is what people dont understand.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
It's not even that there are so many types, each dog is an individual, some bulldogs might bite and some pits and mastiffs that look scary may be the gentlest lovers ever. That is why it is good to teach kids to ask if they can pet first.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Haven't had this with Tyson because he looks like teddy bear and a hamster had a baby . As Dozer got older though his bottom teeth stuck out and I ran into this once in a while. Even from people I knew. I was told a couple of times that he "looks mean " The house next to mine is a rental and people move in and out often. So I didn't mind if they were a bit afraid of him. I didn't do much to change their minds as most people know what a bulldog costs and I didn't want them getting any ideas

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
yes i've had people say that bullies are mean dogs and i will immediately correct them. if i have a little kid who wants to pet them i will put the dog between my legs and loop an arm around the neck area so the boys don't get to excited and knock a little person over. if i have both dogs i will lock their leashed almost to their necks so that i can control them. i will let anyone pet them who wants and titan will generally roll straight to his back and stretch for a belly rub so i don't worry about the bowling ball effect as much with him

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Mostly positive experiences, but I have had people totally avoid him, I think it is because his bottom teeth stick out making him look like he is mean....IF they only knew what a total wuss he was and he would lick them to death if they would pet him.

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Today Roscoe went with me to Petsmart. A little boy came up to pet him and his mother jerked him away and told him that 'Those bull breeds bite. Don't pet him.'
I ran into the same problem when I take him to the dog park. I've had people tell me that he looks mean and they're afraid to pet him.

Have any of you ever had a problem with people thinking your bully is vicious or mean? I guess the idea seems so silly to me because I know what a big loving goofball Roscoe is.

We haven't had that problem with Jack because he's still a puppy and just haven't had him out much. But we used to get that with our english mastiff who was 170 lbs. Max was a big sweetheart and even bigger couch potato. He'd only hurt you if he stepped on your foot. But everyone was afraid of him. I'm guessing if you don't know the breed, the look can be intimidating. As a parent to small children though, I'm teaching them to never run up to a dog that they don't know regardless of the breed. I'm teaching them that they need to ask permission before approaching a dog and how to hold out a hand to let the dog sniff first.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Haven't had this with Tyson because he looks like teddy bear and a hamster had a baby . As Dozer got older though his bottom teeth stuck out and I ran into this once in a while. Even from people I knew. I was told a couple of times that he "looks mean " The house next to mine is a rental and people move in and out often. So I didn't mind if they were a bit afraid of him. I didn't do much to change their minds as most people know what a bulldog costs and I didn't want them getting any ideas

lol. Teddy bear and a hamster!?

It's mostly positive with Stig and Punkin as well. The only people who do avoid are the ones that thing they're pitbulls. Until they see oodles of people around the boys that they actually come up and learn that they're ebs and are family dogs all around.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online