SERIOUSLY!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Actually, a vet I no longer see said the same thing when she saw Gator and his rope is great. I was like, um, no....

Not unless there just was no alternative to help provide a good quality of life. Not a chance

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Ohhhh... I'm gonna go get my neck out there again... but, I'm starting to get really brave like that...

Okay, yes, there IS a medical reason for the surgery. We all know a bulldog can DIE from an infected rope. So, it's not just cosmetic. Now, clipping a doberman's ears... that's completely cosmetic. They won't die off of floppy ears. So, unlike a doberman's ears, there is a good reason to remove a bulldog's rope beyond the cosmetic.

Okay, a cats claws - removing that is completely for the benefit of the owner. Because, having claws does not hurt the cat, having it off does. This is also different from the bulldog's rope where having it on has the potential of hurting the dog, having it off provides benefit if the risk of improper rope care outweighs the risk of the surgery.

Now, clipping a bird's wings - 50/50. There is valid cause to clip the bird's wings for the bird's safety and there is valid cause to not clip a bird's wings for his health. So, that's a toss up. My birds are flighted by my preference. I mean - I got a bird knowing it's designed to fly. If I couldn't handle a flighted bird, I would have gotten me a penguin. But, I have to flight-train the bird to minimize, if not eliminate, the dangers of a fully-flighted bird. And so this is different from declawing a cat and more like removing the rope because the purpose is for the benefit of the bird. But, it's also not quite the same as removing a rope because a bird doesn't undergo surgery to clip the feathers (although, there is still a risk of improper clipping that could cost the bird his life).

Okay, my bichon frise - he's unaltered. He is completely capable of procreating. But no, we have zero intention of breeding the dog. NONE. Why didn't we alter him? Because we feel that going through the surgery is the same amount of risk as not being altered. We feel, that it's the same thing as removing a bulldog's rope. No, he's not going to get anybody pregnant because - hey, if we can take care of a bulldog's rope, we can be vigilant about our dog's sex life. But, I don't go ape-shock over the vet suggesting removing my dog's gonads...

Now if you ponder all those different scenarios, then you might see that the vet gave a perfectly valid suggestion especially if you consider all the hundreds of bulldog owners who don't know the first thing about proper wrinkle care.

All that and it's only worth a measly 2 cents. And with this economy.... it's not enough to buy an inch of rope.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Now I know... Panalog ointment would have done wonders for her, a good diet... I wish I could have done for her what I do for my bullies now... *sob*
Ohhh :nonono: none of that from YOU!! After all the help you've made sure was available to us!! Things change in veterinary care..just like medical care! We have all done things we learn later..if we are lucky..that can be done differently AND with better results. Nope....no guilt EVER from you! :hug:

Members online

No members online now.