open sore?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Miila and Cutty wrestle rough, very rough. He bites her neck and has created an open sore on her neck that is the size of a quarter maybe? They play 20 times a day so this may never heal up at this rate I am afraid. Any thoughts on what I should to to clean it and make it heal up for her? I also noticed a couple sores on the inside of her back legs. She asks for it tho, he doesnt wanna wrestle and here she comes for more. lol. Not sure what I should be doing for this, I am new with play wounds. On a side note..... I :heart: her! She is soooo dang sweet when she isnt trying to eat my toes or something crazy. Right now she is laying next to me in the office chair with her little face laying on my leg. SO cute!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If the sore is open use hydrogen peroxide. If it is closed use neosporin or similar :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yeah, i use hydrogen peroxide on the sore(s) too. Just a little dab with a cotton ball. Now, if you notice the sore is getting oozy then that becomes trickier...can be an infection. So just monitor. I'm always finding a sore here and there w/T and F too. Your Miila sounds like such a sweetie!

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Dexter gets these sometimes too. I clean with diluted Hibiscrub and keep dry. ( don't know if you call it that over there, but it's the stuff surgeons use to clean their hands) Once it starts scabbing over, then a dab of MSM cream helps the fur grow back quickly.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I wanted to add that i occasionally apply a little witch hazel onto the sores too b/c this will cause a nice cooling effect to alleviate any discomfort.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I just saw this!

I got nothing to add - except Bo has a spot on his neck that has FINALLY healed from the same sort of crazy activity. A good cleaning with those "Mal" wipes (from Amazon.com) and neosporin is all I do.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok I will use peroxide to make sure it is clean. Problem is it keeps trying to heal up and scab but then the crazy kid plays 100 more times and it never fails that cutty had got her by the throat in that same spot again and now it seems worse, bigger. Cant tell if it is infected but I am sure it almost has to be so I will clean it good and then maybe at night especially put ointment on to help heal. During the day that is almost not possible cuz I wouldnt want cutty to eat any. Maybe vitamin e would even be good cuz if he ate some it would just be a vitamin. Cutty and Mugsy have NEVER played so hard as to do this damage so I am new at this. lol Oh and the witch hazel is a great idea also, thank you and I have it on hand. :)

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
P.S. your profile, avatar and sig pic are in need of an update now that 2 have become 3......your new baby needs adding :p

I know! A friend from another forum years ago made my other banners and I have no idea how to even fake that I know. I have a pic for my avatar tho. ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was wondering if you could tie a bandana around the neck when they play to keep them from opening it again and again. or maybe a collar on real loose just to keep it from being bit again. you already have good advise on how to clean it and such so wont add to that.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I had the same problem with Maggie and Daddy ... I used to turn around and when I turned back there was Daddy hanging off Maggie's neck or ear .... all bloody.... :nope: In the end nothing worked but time-outs!!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
My gosh it is so hard cuz she is CRAZY. She is more like a cat waiting to pounce and you didnt even know she was there. All day long. I have the squirt bottle to distract her each time I tell her to "take a break". It will just be a long process cuz she is wild and hasnt been taught a lot. lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes i love the avatar to. wow seemes like your bullies really go at it. i kinda miss that with sarah she doesnt play much anymore.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.