Just wondering...

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I have a female 6 month old bulldog and yesterday we adopted a 4 month old female bulldog. The little one, Roxy, has introduced fighting/wrestling. They go at it for hours, but they are sort of pretending. They don't actually bite each other or cause any injuries. I suppose they are establishing pecking order. They go out together and eat together (same bowl) with no problem. Are they always going to fight? Is this just a phase? They seem calmer today than yesterday. Whew! My cats pretended to fight for 5 years. Now they have recently stopped.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
sounds like just play, you know you need to add pictures, so I get to say it first !!! :ROFL:

:pics:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think it's playing too. You should just watch and if it escalates as they grow..then it'll be important to deal with. We've had lots of females do very well together. I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]..we need pictures!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I agree. Sounds like playing.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Yep, 2 Bulldogs are going to play; they feed off each other and what one doesn't think of the other one will! It is such good exercise and the best thing you could do for both of them!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
do they 'play-bow' during the wrestling? This is when the have their butt in the air and front legs/paws are stretched out and their chest is on the ground. That will tell you if it is play, if you do not see this happen either before or during the session - it may be time to break it up.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It does sound like play, I just would not let them play for a long time without a time out to rest, this will help keep the aggression down. If they start to get too loud, or excited stop them for a little while to bring the excitement down. It is good they want to play, just have to limit the time. Ours would play like that when they were younger, but when they got too loud or excited we would give them a little time out to rest, so they would realize that that getting too excited or rough was not acceptable.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
do they 'play-bow' during the wrestling? This is when the have their butt in the air and front legs/paws are stretched out and their chest is on the ground. That will tell you if it is play, if you do not see this happen either before or during the session - it may be time to break it up.
Yes!

Watch too if either of them rolls onto their back. In a real fight, a dog would NEVER do this.

Bea is the NOISIEST player in the universe. She can be laying on her back, making all kinds of horrible noises and I come running in here.... just playing. They both look at me like, "What's wrong mom? We're just having some fun!"

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Yeah I have two males and they play fight daily, can be quite rough at times. Although they both do the play bow and show their bellies. When I introduced our 2nd dog is was several times a day, with humping too. But now,4 months later, it's just a mad half hour, usually in the evening, with the odd hump here and there ! They do grab each others legs and loose neck skin, but don't actually bite.You would definitely notice a difference, with a real fight.

OP
luseaann

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
They are calming down now, but are still a little rough and have to be separated. This is Liz and Roxy when they are play "fighting" (they are blurry, not the photographer!):
fight.jpg

This is them this afternoon getting ready for Dad's BBQ:
liznrox1.jpglisnrox.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
With a six month and a four month I think you can look forward to this type of playing for many months to come!!! :blink:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
With a six month and a four month I think you can look forward to this type of playing for many months to come!!! :blink:
...and then be sad when it stops! ha ha

[MENTION=2277]Suzy2[/MENTION] - I love your description of the activity at your house. I can picture it! hahahahahahahaha Awesome!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.