flu shot

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
my vet just posted on facebook that canine influenza is starting to hit our area and that flu shots are now available to us. i think i might hit em on that...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Crap. Really? We gotta worry about canine influenza now TOO? Criminy!

Why can't someone invent a plastic bubble to put these guys in? Last time I was into my vet's with Bo, he informed me that they do NOT make giant hamster bubbles for bulldogs. Dammitall.

OP
nyerathrt

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i just stopped by the vets to get some insurance paperwork filled out for jameson. i asked about the flu shot while there...she said they are recommending it for dogs that are around other dogs on a regular basis...dog parks, daycare...etc. it's a 2 part shot...3 weeks apart. it DOES NOT prevent the flu but lessens the symptoms so that it is tolerable...

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Well crap. I guess I should see if it is available in my area. I have vaccinated everyone else in my family besides hubby because he is allergic. I guess I should vaccinate the fur kids too.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
OP
nyerathrt

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i'll politely disagree with you. you have your beliefs and i have mine...what works for one family may not work for a family that as you say has "a healthy diet, exercise, and sanitation is the key to fighting off illness." all of which i can guarentee i am...sometimes that just isn't enough to fight off illness

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]..don't you come crying when the "Big Flu Epidemic" comes...bird flu or whatever! No way am I going holistic against what could be a pandemic...I think I'll eat my snicker bar and get a flu shot! :laugh:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
That's the difference between American and Philippine medicine. You spend your money on drugs for specific illnesses instead of boosting your immune system to fight any illness. Which is ok if you got tons of money to keep piling on the drugs. Flu epidemic is rarer than contracting cancer. There are thousands of strains of flu... Even the bird flu has many strains. The drugs can only counter a few of them - and they may not be the most common ones!

My dad got lung cancer, his brother prostate cancer, his sister, breast cancer, his other sister ovarian cancer. That's 4 people in one family, 4 different kinds of cancer. None of them get flu shots - there's no such thing in the Philippines. They're all in their late 60's, early 70's. And yeah, 2 of them are in the US getting the drugs to fight cancer. That's the cool thing about America. You got drugs for everything. Your kid is pinging off the walls in school - there's a drug for that... yes, to counter the fruit loops and frosted pop tarts he ate that morning. All the way to Avastin that can zap cancer cells! And then Americans complain that pharmaceutical companies are "evil".

My kid was 7 months old and he has already been through 3 rounds of antibiotics for "ear infection". I got sick and tired of it. Everytime I go to the doctor - here, take this antibiotic for 10 days... so I moved him to the holistic pediatrician who practices medicine somewhat similar to what doctors do in the Philippines. From the time he was 7 months to today - he's 10 years old now - he's only had TWO rounds of antibiotics. The first one was when he was 5 and broke his elbow and had to go through surgery. The second time was just 2 months ago when his molar got infected and had to get pulled out. My 8 year old went to the holistic pediatrician the day he was born. He's only had 1 antibiotic in his entire life. And that's when he was 5 and had to get 8 stitches on his eyebrow. Yeah, 5 years old is a magic number for my kids.

My brother is a neurologist. He came to America back in the 90's to apply for fellowship. He wanted to practice in America with all the latest and greatest medical innovation you'll never find in the Philippines or even in all of Asia! He interviewed at Memorial Hospital in Savannah. The doctor gave him a folder of a current medical case and asked him what he would do. My brother gave him his diagnosis. The doctor says, no, you have to send this to the lab. My brother says, there's no need for that because the symptoms strongly indicate... whatever... the doctor say No... has to go to the lab because you have to be sure. My brother says - that's an expense you don't need. He went to 10 years of medical school to be able to accurately diagnose these things. The doctor told him his diagnosis may not hold up in court if something happens to the patient. My brother was shocked. He can't believe a doctor's skill is not respected in America. He left for the Philippines shortly after telling me America doesn't need more doctors, they need more lawyers. He's a neurologist now, his wife a pediatrician. They both have thriving practices. Somebody would go to his office with a neuro problem and pay him bananas. LITERALLY. A whole basket of bananas. A lot of Filipinos are poor. But, that neuro patient is healthy and my brother can help him. Because it doesn't cost as much to treat neuro patients in the Philippines. Because my brother is super skilled with diagnoses without benefit of expensive labwork.

Okay, another thought that is very related to this. I flew my parents to Florida from Texas... my dad is still weak from his chemo so I ordered him a wheelchair. It took him a super long time to go through security because he had to go through the hand-check because the wheelchair can't go through the regular scanner. The guy asked him to take off his belt - which when you're in a wheelchair is quite a task - and then he felt his crotch which shocked my dad to no end. He refused to go through that thing again and decided to shuffle his way through the scanner on his way back, holding up the line but at least he kept his dignity intact. Anyway, my dad was telling me. Americans are all too willing to lose their dignity instead of spending all their efforts to have reliable military counter intelligence because they're so scared of getting blown up even with the chance of getting blown up lesser than the plane crashing on its own. That's what you call Terrorized.

Yep, bird flu, airplanes... same terrorized state.

Okay, my opinion only, of course... random thoughts from a non-American enjoying American life. I do love America. It's definitely land of the free, home of the brave. I'm free to voice my kooky opinions and brave enough to suffer the consequence... like Becky hating me... Becky, please don't hate me. I have lots more iPhone tips and tricks. :)

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I am not bit on flu shots either just cuz we all survived growing up without them. I do think for people at risk they are a good thing BUT for everyday people not a big fan myself. I know most of the country likes them also and that is cool. To me I just think that medicine and vaccines for things that are not deadly so much are bad for us. Creating these super viruses that meds cant fix and all. lol. Now my mil manages a drs office and disagrees saying the strains are so diff these days but I have had 1 flu in maybe 10 years and I dont mind getting another if it means it builds my immune system up more. Have never looked into holistic medicine but I do agree that drs are TOO quick to give meds just to shut up the patient, or make them happy I should say. lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online