What can I do to make Tyson happy??

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
We have had Tyson for a little over a month now . He still seems ..well..unhappy a lot of the time. All he really does is lay around . Now I know bulldogs are lazy , but this seems a bit extreme. At first I thought that moving may have depressed him, is he still depressed? He doesn't get excited about much. He does come up to us for constant petting anytime we are awake. I think that is a good sign.

I do everything I can think of to enhance his day. We go for walks everyday weather permitting, sometimes 2 or 3 times. He does enjoy this. I take him to the dog park a couple days a week. He doesn't give a rats behind about other dogs though. I take him there because of the new smells and sounds and also just to spend some leash free time outside. I know his eye sight isn't great so I think using is other senses to explore new things is great for him. I also take him to the state park for this reason. He seems to enjoy smelling the trails left by other animals and also the plants.
He won't play with toys at all! I have tried every kind I think the pet store carries. I do give him a bone and fill it with peanut butter because he likes to lick it out. He doesn't like chew toys or treats really either. He loves to ride in the car , so I take him whenever I can . I just feel like idk what else to do to make him happy. His life seems so depressing I guess. He spends most of his day sitting by me doing nothing or laying on one of his beds What else can I do for him. I thought about a food puzzle but food doesn't motivate him . I'[m running out of ideas and with winter and a newborn coming our park time will be limited til the weather gets better.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I was going to suggest a food puzzle and wham!!! you added that in at the end. Lucy loses interest in toys easily so I have a bunch that I rotate in an out to keep her somewhat interested. Antlers are a must. She like tennis balls too. She keeps one in her mouth and bats another one around like a soccer ball. It's really cute. Even though she is a 3 year old healthy girl she plays for small bursts and rests. Plays and dozes off, and so on.

It sounds to me that your boy has a great life and you are doing so much to include him in yours. Maybe he is still adjusting but it sounds like he is doing plenty of things during the day that he loves. From memory, he is an older guy--so maybe he just enjoys laying around. Also, I don't think he got really good care in his old house so maybe he just enjoys being by your side and having your attention. Doesn't sound like a problem to me!

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I think that is a part of it. If it were up to him I would be petting him 24 hours a day. I feel guilty that I don't . I do spend every waking minute with him practically but I still have to keep house ect. I got a roll of camping foam so that I can lay on the floor next to him and his bed when I am just watching tv or napping. ( our couch isn't big enough for 2 of us to lay on it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is an older dog and probably enjoys just sitting with you. He may not have played much in his other life and may not know how to really. Plus some dogs just don't like being outgoing when they get older. Our BeBe is 5 year old and she is happy just sitting by your side or on your lap and not playing. Plus he may still be trying to get used to the new place. You are giving him a wonderful life and home, so I would just enjoy his company and know you are doing everything you can to give him a great life. :hug:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
GOOD GOD GERTIE I can't imagine what more a dog could want, your description of the day wore my butt out. Jeesh. I want to come back as your dog in my next life woof woof :ROFL:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok I'm going to chime in here as when I got sarah she wanted to die from the look on her face there are pics posted on my page from when we first got her. If you see her pics now she is happy n healthy. She did not get that way in a month or even 2 it took a while for her to trust her new loving home. She also loves for us to continually pet her. Sarah is 5 and she is slowing down with the walking and playing and such. Hon tyson will come around it takes time and he has had 7 years of crap and it will take more time for him to seem happy. Give it some more months and I think you will see a different dog.

Last edited:

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I agree, it takes awhile to come out of their shell completely. I also think you are used to having a young bully around so an older bullie seems to much different. Just keep doing what you are doing. It sounds like you are going above and beyond for Tyson and honestly your probably the first person who ever has :)

ccw0419

Oct 1, 2011
Selmer,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy mae and mack
Daisy does the same. She has always been more mellow and relaxed even when she was a puppy. She likes to play ONLY when she see's fit no matter what we do to try to entice her. The only things on her mind is sleeping and eating it seems. I guess we just spoil her too much. I hate to admit this, but she will only come to me sometimes if i pretend to have food.lol:DIf I do it too much she wont listen and i have to give her snacks... But she

is the love of our lives and we wouldn't have it any other way. Her sweet moments are when we first get home from work, while we eat(b/c she wants some too), and when we first wake up in the mornings......then its like

she just cant get enough of us, after that its back to bein Lazy Daisy again.....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Remind me ... how old is he again???

We have our foster, Tinkerbell, who is almost 11 years old now. So I'm sure that she is considerably older than Tyson, but we have had her for about 4 weeks now and although we did see changes in the first couple of weeks it's only now that I think she's started to relax enough that I feel she is finally starting to open up.

Give him time ... and also prepare yourself for the fact that you may have a couch-hugging love-bug on your hands who ONLY wants to snuggle and not much else really!!!

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
@kazzy220 he is 7 and a half.
If all Ty wants to do is lay around ,I'm fine with that. I just want to make sure he is happy. I am used to a more energetic dog, but it's not a requirement by any means. I'm more than happy to let him be who he is . I just don't want him to be miserable. I feel so badly for him having been alone so much and I don't want to see him sad. It breaks my heart sometimes and I cry for him. I want to give him the best life I possibly can because he has already given us so much

@heff101 lol NO WAY! He isn't going anywhere. But if you get bored of Heff, I'll pm you my address.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] You are undoubtedly making him happier than he has ever been in his life, but it is all new and strange to him. I know I keep referring back to Tinkerbell ... but here's another example. With all my dogs I kiss them on the head, those little quick kisses... lots of them .. all at once. (hope that describes it). Well, when I did it to Tinks when we first got her it truly freaked her out. Now she comes up and puts her head down as if she's asking me to do it - but it took about 4 weeks of me doing it to get her used to receiving that form of love and attention.

This is all new and wonderful and strange .. and something that they fear might be taken away from them. Give it time, and he will open up. One day he will realise you are not going anywhere and neither is he .... but it sounds like you DO have a couch potato on your hands so when he wants to take a time-out just let him. He has so much to get used to that it may be overwhelming for him at times.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Most dogs learn how to play with toys when they are young. If Tyson never had the opportunity to play..it just may not interest him. You interest him. You are his toy that he loves to interact with.

PS....Don't let his looks fool you. Bulldogs are known for using their wrinkles to get what they want.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I'm looking at it a different way. It might be a good thing that Tyson is low key as soon you will have your hands full with a new baby. My Mr. Wilson is very low key and has been since he was a pup. I too wish I could find ways to entertain him but he's just not built that way. His deer antler and his daily walks seem to be enough for him. I have to add smoochies, huggies and rubbies. Now just because he doesn't show enthusiasm on the surface I definitely KNOW he's taking it all in. Every morning when I come downstairs he does a little pony hop and kick that tells me he is happy to see me, and then not much else for the rest of the day. Good enough for me!!!

Mr. Droopy-face :( Love him!

aefe5175-e223-b9e0.jpg

Last edited:

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Sounds like you are doing everything right. He's probably not used to having 2/3 walks per day, in his previous life, together with age this is probably why he sleeps more. Plus you'll notice it more with having younger dogs in the past.I've had a rescue dog for 4 months now, it's only been this last month or so that he's really come out of his shell.He didn't know how to play with toys either, I encouraged him with tug of war toys with my other dog. He's still not as playful with toys, like my other dog, it's just the way they are brought up.

Most Reactions