Cool toy for HOT weather!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie LOVES to play with an empty water bottle. Here in Az. we have too many of them laying around. So I put a little water in a couple and laid them on their side and put them in the freezer. Once frozen I put just a little bit more water in them and gave them to her. She had a BLAST! She loves to roll them around on the floor, or out on the patio and they're nice and cool for her to play with and chew on. They don't stay frozen very long in this heat, so I filled one up and froze it and it stayed cool a lot longer, but the bottle wasn't quite so "crackly" and she likes the crackly bottle. If she chews til there's a hole, I just toss it in the trash, as there are plenty more where that one came from. She prefers this to any of her store-bought toys, just like little kids who would rather play with a box!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have to give them empty and I take the caps off- (choking hazard), but maybe if it is frozen it will work even better! Thanks what a great idea!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I use to give them to Vegas to play with, but someone told me that there are bad chemicals in the plastic that can harm your pet when ingested. Has anyone else heard this? Cause Vegas loves water bottles. He hardly can wait until it's empty. In fact, he often takes them when they are still in use....

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
also, be very careful that shards of plastic do not break off. They will! So make sure to supervise your baby when he or she is playing with them.
It is best to put the bottle inside a toy...like a bottle buddy, that contains the bottle, but they can chew and it will make sounds.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I haven't let Gertie do anything but roll it around, lick it and she lays on it outside to cool off. Of course she's just a baby. She can't shred it, YET. I guess some of you with older guys might not want to try this. But for a puppy, it works well.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
This is a great idea. I also buy bones from the grocery store. They will cut to size. I usually get them about 5-6 inches long and freeze them. All of our dogs love them in the summer. This summer Abby and Bella found the watermelon before it was cut. They had a ball attacking it while my son yelled "get the ball, get the ball"

bulldogmeetup2.jpg

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We has a pumpkin sitting on our back porch waiting to be gutted and carved. Vegas knocked it off the patio and proceeded to push it around the yard playing with it as if it were a soccer ball.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.