How to know when my two guys are ready to roam the floor together without supervision

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We currently separate Stig and Punkin during the day when everyone's at work. I'm wondering when you think it'll be ok to take the barrier between them down and let them have free roam of the floor alone together.

From what I can see, they play well for the most part. At first they would play for more than an hour, now they take breaks here and there. They sleep most of the day still.

I will need to further bully proof the area just in case they bump into things, but do you think it's too early for them to be left alone? They're both crate trained, but I prefer to not have them in there for the whole day.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Can you give me more info, because, I don't know what the situation is with your dogs... like how old are they, how long have they been in your home together, etc. I've left my dogs playing together the day after they were introduced... as a matter of fact, I don't have a quarantine routine for my dogs. They start playing together by themselves as soon as they exhibit that they get along. Now, they are always crated separately, of course. The crate is too small for them to be together without supervision.

Hope this is not too confusing...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Did Stig have free "roaming rights" before Punkin came? I think if you have limited the areas that they are allowed to be free in, it is probably all right. I left Tate and Finn together alone after about 5 days of getting to know each other. They did fine. I limit the rooms they're allowed to enter, and they go on pee pads since i'm not home for a good 8hr stretch of time. Sometimes, i come home to find shredded pee pads or furniture that has been moved by them (!), but for the most part, they are well behaved.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think that if they appear to be getting on well then practice by leaving them uncrated for short times, like if you go to the shops for an hour or 45 minutes.

In my experience, as soon as you leave the house ...it' snooze time until you get home!!!! :blink:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
In my experience, as soon as you leave the house ...it' snooze time until you get home!!!! :blink:
:hahaha: Here too!

When Bo first came home though, I kept them seperated while I was at work so I didn't have to worry all day. Now they are together always. When I leave for an extended period of time, these two are together and limited only to kitchen and dining room/office (where my computer is). Their crates are here...food and water is here....and a limited number of things to get into, should they be inspired. Even when I forget and leave the living room baby gate open, they are always in here, sleeping in the sunshine or together in one of the crates. They want to be where they can see that truck pull into the carport, I guess. ha ha

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks all. Will be reorganizing this weekend so they'll have more room to be together and get in less trouble.

[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] - Stig is 1.5yo and Punkin's 4yo. Stig's been with us since he was 5 months and always had free roam of the kitchen and dining areas. We took in Punkin when his family couldn't take care of him anymore, that was about 4 weeks ago. For now, he stays in the living room. I have a feeling that they will be good alone together, so we're going to try it out this weekend.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thanks all. Will be reorganizing this weekend so they'll have more room to be together and get in less trouble.

@anatess - Stig is 1.5yo and Punkin's 4yo. Stig's been with us since he was 5 months and always had free roam of the kitchen and dining areas. We took in Punkin when his family couldn't take care of him anymore, that was about 4 weeks ago. For now, he stays in the living room. I have a feeling that they will be good alone together, so we're going to try it out this weekend.

Oh wow, you've had them a month... if you haven't seen them fight until now, I'm very sure they will be completely fine by themselves.

I brought home Bullie (3 years old, 60 lbs), introduced him to Gizmo (bichon frise, 4 years old, 18 lbs) without issues, they established their pack order, and I left them by themselves in the patio the next weekend.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.