Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Can someone explain puppy worming to me

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Default Can someone explain puppy worming to me

Ok so I get why puppies need wormed if they have them. This may sound stupid but, if the mother has been sufficiently cared for, wormed and kept of parasite preventative how do they puppy get worms if the mother doesn't have them. In this situation I am assuming that all the animals are kept indoors not in a kennel /outdoor situation. A friend of mine breeds collies and told me all puppies need wormed?!?
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can someone explain puppy worming to me

Here is what I found...

The reason that worming puppies start so young, is because puppy worms are actually passed by the mother to her litter during pregnancy and nursing.

If your dog had worms when she was a puppy herself, she will pass them onto her litter even if she is shown to be free of worms when she is bred! It seems that they lay dormant in her system, until pregnancy and nursing, and then they become re-activated to start the vicious cycle all over again.
    These parasites can be extremely hard to get rid of if you wait too long to begin using a wormer.
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads