Can someone explain puppy worming to me

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok so I get why puppies need wormed if they have them. This may sound stupid but, if the mother has been sufficiently cared for, wormed and kept of parasite preventative how do they puppy get worms if the mother doesn't have them. In this situation I am assuming that all the animals are kept indoors not in a kennel /outdoor situation. A friend of mine breeds collies and told me all puppies need wormed?!?:confused:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here is what I found...

The reason that worming puppies start so young, is because puppy worms are actually passed by the mother to her litter during pregnancy and nursing.

If your dog had worms when she was a puppy herself, she will pass them onto her litter even if she is shown to be free of worms when she is bred! It seems that they lay dormant in her system, until pregnancy and nursing, and then they become re-activated to start the vicious cycle all over again.
These parasites can be extremely hard to get rid of if you wait too long to begin using a wormer.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.