Discipline..

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Hi.. My booboo is gettin all bitey with people lately.. He's 9 weeks abd i think as a puppy its normal to wan to play around..

But im gettin a lot of lecture from my family about havin to be firm with him.. They said Boo's crazy for being bitey and he's not suppose to bite..

I'm gettin pretty upset since i know that all boo wants is to play around.. He is a bully after all and can't be compared to other breed that easily be good rite from the start.. But i dont want him to be hated either..

Does any of u have tips? Or similar experience?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Well letting him "bite" you at this age will not make him "aggressive" , however it should not be allowed. The best thing you can do is to very firmly tell him no and give him something it is ok to bite/chew like a toy.Praise him for using the toy instead of you. Puppies learn bite inhibition from litter mates meaning the bite pressure that is acceptable during play. Any puppy taken away from litter mates prior to 10 weeks need to be taught this by his humans. Start with telling him no and replacing a toy, if he bites you again, yelp in a high pitched puppy kind of scream, don't be afraid to be loud, and then IGNORE him for a minute or so. Repeat this process for what will seem like a hundred thousand times and voila, a puppy that no longer bites you

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Also, pretty soon, he's going to start to lose his baby teeth. So he will chew and chew and bite and bite at anything. So, yeah - you'll need to let him know what is okay to chew and what is not okay to chew now before he starts in on your furniture later. Just because he's a bully doesn't exempt him from good manners and right conduct.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I was going to say exactly what [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] said. The yelping thing really works; I've used that on numerous dogs, including my bullie. I still do it when she gets to rough and she's 2 now. Works every time.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Also, pretty soon, he's going to start to lose his baby teeth. So he will chew and chew and bite and bite at anything. So, yeah - you'll need to let him know what is okay to chew and what is not okay to chew now before he starts in on your furniture later. Just because he's a bully doesn't exempt him from good manners and right conduct.

Well said!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I was going to say exactly what @dozersmama said. The yelping thing really works; I've used that on numerous dogs, including my bullie. I still do it when she gets to rough and she's 2 now. Works every time.

We've never tried this method. I just can't imagine my husband "yelping". LOL.

In my house, the dogs are taught the meaning of a firm No (both verbal and hand-signal). This works for any behavior that requires quick distraction - biting, chasing the neighbor's dog, peeing on the neighbor's flower bed, etc. Basically, just say a firm No (not screaming), stop all activity and try to maintain eye contact with the dog until you get his attention for, like, 30 seconds or so, even if you have to hold his head to face you if needed, then give him something else to do (like give him a toy to play with or rub his ears, etc.) after the 30-second quiet face-to-face moment. After a gazillion times of doing this, then eventually, he can run to the neighbor's flower bed, and you can say No and he'll stop in his tracks and look at you - then you can issue him a command to bring him back to your side. Same thing with the biting...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Dozersmama mentioned THE ONE THING that affected Bea when she was going thru that nippy stage: being ignored. Just crying out wasn't enough. Yelping and then being ignored immediately after the undesirable behavior blew her puppy mind. "Um...wait...where'd you go? Game time is over? What?! COME BACK!!!" :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups will be pups and love to bite on everything, hands, feet, pants, furniture, you get the picture. We would give them their play time but when they chewed on things we did not want them to chew on we would said "NO" and give them a chew toy, or bone. It just takes time and they will grow out of it.

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
So i've just tried holding his head in my hand and had that eye contact.. He looks sleppy and close his eyes while i held him! I tried it for 3 times now and the same thing happen every time...

nybadboy11

Aug 10, 2011
Im going through the same thing im new at bull dogs and i think its something that has to run its coarse my sammy does the same thing i just give him a no and send him on his way and things have gotten alot better so put a firm no every time he bites and he should get the hint

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
So i've just tried holding his head in my hand and had that eye contact.. He looks sleppy and close his eyes while i held him! I tried it for 3 times now and the same thing happen every time...

:):):)

I find this super cute. LOL. That's the problem with Bullys, it's difficult to discipline them when they do such super cute things! :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.