NOSEY Question......

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So you have all read my vet retired and I do not like my new one, that took over for him, one of the reasons....my old vet did NOT charge an office visit, he only charged for the services that was needed. Well the vet that took over charged me $40 for an office visit on top of everything else ($170 compared to usually around $50) so I am in search of and have an appt. this friday with a new vet.

Just out of curiosity I called them back today and ask what an office visit would be $48.00!!!!!!! I have only used my old vet since the day I had Vegas I did not know that vet's charged an office visit!! I am in shock!! The last time I owned a dog (a basset hound) was about 12 years ago when I lived in Ohio and even that vet never charged an office visit charge. Shocked I tell you Shocked!!!!!!

So what do you all pay for an office visit?? To me this kind of says the vet is in it for the money, OR...... I have been one lucky girl to have such great vets that cared and only charged for the services that were preformed!!

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
No office visit charge for me. Have you asked what that actually pays for? If they charge you for the routine stuff, then it sounds like they are just gouging their clients... or maybe they are charging for the air your breathing inside their clinic. :cursing:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Mine charges $39 ..... Plus whatever medication is prescribed..
I think you have been Lucky.... I always have known them to charge for an office visit..How else would they pay their overhead.?

Now, if you are only going in to his yearly shots, then you can demand ahead of time that you do not want the vet to see him. Some Vet offices would then have one of their assistants administer the shot(s) and bill you only for that...
Call him/her and see if they are willing...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm sure I've always paid for an office visit where a service was performed. If I came in for something "quickie" then no. But 99% of the time I show up, there's a darned good reason to be there. LOL Office visits are 35 bucks I think and as much time as Dr. Terry (Beatty) spends with my dogs and me, it's worth much more. I swear, he plays with the dogs more than he examines them. ha ha I love my vet.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION], I think they pay their overhead by having so many loyal clients! My old vet was packed and people had been going to him for over 20 years. While I sat for over 2 hours waiting to see the new one on Thursday I knew I would not go back and heard several sitting there saying it would be there last visit. I bet they crapped the same way I did when I got a $40 office visit charge on top of the rest of the overpriced meds. For instance the cleaner that she prescribed for his yeast on his nose was $8.00 more than what I can just simply order on Amazon. No prescription needed.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I pay $45.. I think..lol..but no recheck and they do nails for free. No office visit charged for vaccines either. I've ALWAYS paid an office visit. I don't mind really...it seems right. Vets equipment and all the "stuff".. we want available are very expensive. How could a one vet office make a living with employee costs and operating costs. You've been very fortunate Miss Kelly! And good for you!..another point..my vet lists on a chalkboard all the names of the pets coming in that day..if there are like 9 or 10 names..that's not a huge amount of money to support a Doctors office..

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I think our vet is either 36 0r 38. I see no problem with that..... he is after all a professional so why wouldn't there be a charge. Ask your mechanic what his charges are.... the diagnostic charge is about 65-75 bucks.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], Woooooowwwww, well Welcome to 2011 Kelly!!!!! Again over 12 years ago since I had my Basset (no office fee) and for the last 2 and a half with Vegas no office fee, damn guess I am going to have to suck it up and get into the real world of vets!! So $48 seems reasonable I guess....wish I could get him on my ins. lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], Woooooowwwww, well Welcome to 2011 Kelly!!!!! Again over 12 years ago since I had my Basset (no office fee) and for the last 2 and a half with Vegas no office fee, damn guess I am going to have to suck it up and get into the real world of vets!! So $48 seems reasonable I guess....wish I could get him on my ins. lol
:ROFL:... Yes sireeeeeeeeeeeee ! When my sweet old cat was alive..he was on insulin (the most expensive) and numerous other meds! I so wanted him on our insurance!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet does not charge an office fee, only what is done. We have a great vet.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The boys' vet charges $50 for an office visit.
Kelly, you have been one lucky lady (in both quality and pricing), with your previous vet!

Last edited:
OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], if you take them both at the same time is it still $50? or $100? I did not realize how lucky I have been. What an eye opener for me!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I am charged an office visit, but I know now that it isn't as much as it was when I first started taking Tubs to the vet. We were going so much that we were actually given a "frequent visitor" rate! When we had to take him for follow up visits we don't get charged anything and sometimes they will give him a quick cleaning and nail trim without charging us! I do have to pay for the office visit, but there are things I don't have to pay for that I was expecting to pay for. I think we are paying $40 for the visits.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am charged an office visit, but I know now that it isn't as much as it was when I first started taking Tubs to the vet. We were going so much that we were actually given a "frequent visitor" rate! When we had to take him for follow up visits we don't get charged anything and sometimes they will give him a quick cleaning and nail trim without charging us! I do have to pay for the office visit, but there are things I don't have to pay for that I was expecting to pay for. I think we are paying $40 for the visits.
Listen to this! My vet gave me a "senior discount"!!! Now I'm not technically of legal age..I assumed it was because I had taken in my "senior" cat. Well when I took a non senior pet in, I got the same discount! I told the girl that I'd thought it was because my animal was OLD..NOT ME! She laughed and said it's a quantity discount...but I really didn't care! I :love: a discount!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.