Temper

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Hi, u was wondering.. How early did u train ur puppy?

Boo's gettin more bitey and temperamental lately.. If i let him be for now.. Would it effect his behaviour when he grow up? Or its just a phase he'll grown out of?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Puppies love to bite and play, this will last a few months and they will grow out of it. They will bite your hands, feet, pant legs anything they can. Just tell them "no" and give them a chew bone (no rawhides) to redirect them and eventually they will get it. In the mean time enjoy the puppy months, they don't last long.

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hi Loonatic8,
Welcome to EBN! We started training Stella as soon as we brought her home. As far as the biting goes, as soon as he does that type of behavior, stick a toy in his mouth and praise him. If he bites again, redirect by putting the toy in his mouth. You may have to repeat it a lot but Boo will catch on.
Make sure you have a variety of different toys so he doesn't get bored.
I read the book "How to raise a perfect puppy" by Cesar Milan and found it to be very helpful.
I think using a positive reinforcement method of training is very good and effective. Don't yell at him if he is doing something that you see as "bad", he won't understand.
Praise him when he is being good, even when he is just sitting or laying down, playing with toys etc. Please feel free to ask any other questions. There are so many wonderful people here.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
It depends on what kind of biting you are referring to, but either way I would get on that right away. Tubs never had a major problem with chewing. He had enough toys and we made sure he knew what was ok to chew on and what was not. We also made sure he knew how to take a treat "easy". The first time I gave him a treat he tried to snap it out of my hand, but he learned quickly that if he wanted the treat he was going to have to take it 'easy". Now for biting of people. He tried to bite fingers and feet when he was little, but we taught him "no bite" right away. Now when we are playing with him we are able to have him put his mouth on our hands and not worry about him biting! If he is getting a little wound up and someone maybe nervous that his is getting too rough they just say, "no bite" and he will back off. I don't have to worry at all because he knows "not to bite the hand that feeds him!" I can stick my whole hand in his mouth and not worry about him biting me. He is also great with allowing people around him when he is eating. It doesn't bother him at all! I can even take treats, food and toys away from him no problem. So, in short, I would get on that now! I hope this helps!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I also agree with [MENTION=2532]beachbumjen[/MENTION]...we praised him when we told him "no bite" and he eased up. We also didn't yell at him when he bit, we just told him "no bite" with a stern voice as opposed to a playful voice!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I read the book "How to raise a perfect puppy" by Cesar Milan and found it to be very helpful.
I think using a positive reinforcement method of training is very good and effective. Don't yell at him if he is doing something that you see as "bad", he won't understand.
Praise him when he is being good, even when he is just sitting or laying down, playing with toys etc. Please feel free to ask any other questions. There are so many wonderful people here.

Amazon.com: How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond (9780307461308): Cesar Millan, Melissa Jo Peltier: Books The book comes in a video format too - although not as educational. I watched it probably a dozen times before Bea came home! I discovered Cesar Millan "A.M." (After Mable - my first bulldog) She turned out amazing but it was just LUCK and alot of struggles. Raising Bea and Bo has been pure joy. PURE JOY!

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
I'll try teaching him the no bite command.. Hopefully he'll catch up soon... I can deal with it but im not sure my small cousins can.. Lol thanks all!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not much help here BUT we just got Miila who is over a year and did not get much discipline in the past. Walks on tables, will try and eat any food in the kitchen on the counters, or table even. Just bad manners all around actually. She DOES play bite and still has those sharp teeth that hurt. I think she wasnt trained or stopped when she was younger and this is what happened. lol. We have a lot of work to do with her but I do think if you catch it now you are much better off than just hoping it stops later.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online