Thread: Startled easily..?

Bulldog(s) Names
    BooBoo
    Likes (Received)

Default Startled easily..?

Hi, my boo is 9 weeks now, lately i find him easily startled.. Before he didnt seems bothered except for sudden loud noise., But now he seems more jumpy.. Is this some sort of normal transition as he get older?
    He seems easily scared too.. The other day i just walked towards him and he seems scared.. After a moment he got back to usual though..
    Do any of you experience something like this with ur pup?

Other than this he seems fine, his appetite are never a problem, his body are growing out great, and he is getting very vocal..

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Startled easily..?

Maybe some dogs are just predisposed to being "noise sensitive"? Bea will bark at ANYTHING noisy. Yesterday, mom was making banana bread and had walnuts in the mini-chopper and you'd think we were drilling an oil well in the kitchen and the oil rig was about to eat her alive. OK. Crappy analogy - but you know what I mean: she freaks out. Interestingly, when it's ME making noises like that in the kitchen, she's less prone to going ballistic. Note that I do not give her any "soothing" talk when she does this to reinforce it's ability to get her attention. (No "awww Bea...poor baby...don't worry...blah blah) I say, "Hey" really loud (sometimes I have to clap too) and she will stop doing it.

Did you startle him perhaps?

Real Name
    Denize
    Bulldog(s) Names
    walter
    Likes (Received)

My walter is scared of all sorts of things, bin bad... foil you use to bake with...plastic bags... he runs away and sits in the liveingroom, he will not go in the kitchen if there is a jumper over the kitchen chair, he stands at the door barking at it, the other nite there was a spider under the kitchen table, well all hell was let lose, but just another day in a bully life

Bulldog(s) Names
    BooBoo
    Likes (Received)

No.. I dont think i startled him.. Its just seems like he wasn't so easily startled last week.. He would be startled one minute an the next he is back to his regular self with the biting and grumbling...

Well, its probably nothin wrong rite..

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by deegary View Post
    My walter is scared of all sorts of things, bin bad... foil you use to bake with...plastic bags... he runs away and sits in the liveingroom, he will not go in the kitchen if there is a jumper over the kitchen chair, he stands at the door barking at it, the other nite there was a spider under the kitchen table, well all hell was let lose, but just another day in a bully life
    Banks is the exact same way.. any noise and all hell breaks loose. Nitschke was never bothered by anything, but Banks has some type of noise sensitivity to everything

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack-Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by loonatic8 View Post
    No.. I dont think i startled him.. Its just seems like he wasn't so easily startled last week.. He would be startled one minute an the next he is back to his regular self with the biting and grumbling...

Well, its probably nothin wrong rite..
    I think I know what you are talking about. Jack has done this backing up thing a few times like I've scared him when he was right around 9 wks. My thinking is that he is still getting used to being a member of the family and different things confuse him maybe? Like if my hair is different, or I'm wearing something different. I took Jack to potty in the middle of the night and he wouldn't come to me to go back in, he kept backing underneath the patio table. I realized it was because my back was to the light and all he saw was this big dark thing coming at him. I moved to where he could see it was me and he immediately came running over. I don't think these things will mean he'll startle easy later in life. I really just feel he is still trying to figure out his environment.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

That's bullies for ya, scaredy cats, some worse than others. If there is a plastic bad in the yard, Buddy goes nuts barking at it. They are just too funny.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Remove Ads