Startled easily..?

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Hi, my boo is 9 weeks now, lately i find him easily startled.. Before he didnt seems bothered except for sudden loud noise., But now he seems more jumpy.. Is this some sort of normal transition as he get older?
He seems easily scared too.. The other day i just walked towards him and he seems scared.. After a moment he got back to usual though..
Do any of you experience something like this with ur pup?

Other than this he seems fine, his appetite are never a problem, his body are growing out great, and he is getting very vocal..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe some dogs are just predisposed to being "noise sensitive"? Bea will bark at ANYTHING noisy. Yesterday, mom was making banana bread and had walnuts in the mini-chopper and you'd think we were drilling an oil well in the kitchen and the oil rig was about to eat her alive. OK. Crappy analogy - but you know what I mean: she freaks out. Interestingly, when it's ME making noises like that in the kitchen, she's less prone to going ballistic. Note that I do not give her any "soothing" talk when she does this to reinforce it's ability to get her attention. (No "awww Bea...poor baby...don't worry...blah blah) I say, "Hey" really loud (sometimes I have to clap too) and she will stop doing it.

Did you startle him perhaps?

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
My walter is scared of all sorts of things, bin bad... foil you use to bake with...plastic bags... he runs away and sits in the liveingroom, he will not go in the kitchen if there is a jumper over the kitchen chair, he stands at the door barking at it, the other nite there was a spider under the kitchen table, well all hell was let lose, but just another day in a bully life

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
No.. I dont think i startled him.. Its just seems like he wasn't so easily startled last week.. He would be startled one minute an the next he is back to his regular self with the biting and grumbling...

Well, its probably nothin wrong rite..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My walter is scared of all sorts of things, bin bad... foil you use to bake with...plastic bags... he runs away and sits in the liveingroom, he will not go in the kitchen if there is a jumper over the kitchen chair, he stands at the door barking at it, the other nite there was a spider under the kitchen table, well all hell was let lose, but just another day in a bully life

Banks is the exact same way.. any noise and all hell breaks loose. Nitschke was never bothered by anything, but Banks has some type of noise sensitivity to everything

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
No.. I dont think i startled him.. Its just seems like he wasn't so easily startled last week.. He would be startled one minute an the next he is back to his regular self with the biting and grumbling...

Well, its probably nothin wrong rite..

I think I know what you are talking about. Jack has done this backing up thing a few times like I've scared him when he was right around 9 wks. My thinking is that he is still getting used to being a member of the family and different things confuse him maybe? Like if my hair is different, or I'm wearing something different. I took Jack to potty in the middle of the night and he wouldn't come to me to go back in, he kept backing underneath the patio table. I realized it was because my back was to the light and all he saw was this big dark thing coming at him. I moved to where he could see it was me and he immediately came running over. I don't think these things will mean he'll startle easy later in life. I really just feel he is still trying to figure out his environment.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's bullies for ya, scaredy cats, some worse than others. If there is a plastic bad in the yard, Buddy goes nuts barking at it. They are just too funny.

Members online

No members online now.