Went from scab to growth on Griz

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
About 4 weeks ago at the height of allergies with Griz, he had some scabs on his neck and belly, nothing major, but now I'm getting worried. I've been using MalAcetic Ultra a few days a week on the scabs, allergic area's, they cleared up, except behind
the ear where the area hadn't cleared up. He had been scratching with his hind leg and opening up the irritation. It turned into something bigger than before. It's a large bump
Here's a picture of it. Anybody ever had anything like this happen? I am making an appointment for the vet tomorrow morning. 010.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
gosh i have no idea what that is but maybe some infection from the scratching. I just wanted to say i hope the vet visit goes well and let us know how he is. :hug:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Looks like it could be a hot spot. They can be quite frustrating. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]Had trouble with Tidus and hotspots but got them cleared up when she found the right food for him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree it does look like a hot spot. The vet will shave the area, and probably give steroid to it. Is it pussy with blood and does it look like raw meat?

Hot spots behind the ears are usually due to food allergies I have been told. Anything new in his diet?

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree it does look like a hot spot. The vet will shave the area, and probably give steroid to it. Is it pussy with blood and does it look like raw meat?

Hot spots behind the ears are usually due to food allergies I have been told. Anything new in his diet?

No raw meat, it was weeks ago though, we just started switching to NVI, but only 1/4 NVI to 3/4 Fromm Beef. He's had this bump before the switch. That's why we're switching. It's rather thick and I think its going to need to be lanced. For now, this morning I'm putting on a hot wet compress to draw out any goop inside. I couldn't get in the vet today, he's booked. I think some salt added to the hot water may help to draw it out too. He was on a round of antibiotics for three weeks till they were all gone, this was the only spot that didn't clear, it got thicker. probably from him scratching it open so often.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I will be watching to see what this turns out to be. I'm sure it's a hot spot - nothing serious - and via your experience, we'll get to learn what to do when this happens to our dogs. ha ha Because it surely will. (I hope not - but then, I didn't know what a hive was until I started hanging out in EBN and wouldn't ya know? They both got them.)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Was just wondering how grizz was doing? I hope better. Can't be of any help but was just wondering about him

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Griz has an appointment for Tuesday at 3:45. I really don't like the way its looking the more I mess with it, the bigger it's getting. yikes. I hope it doesn't start talking back. LOL sorry Griz.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you shaved the area? The hair can also be causing more irritation. Nitshcke has two hotspots (if that is what it is) during his life... and first thing we did was shave the area... it helps a lot. And, you have to get Griz to stop scratching - that will cause the spreading of it.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No I haven't shaved the area, it actually looks more like a tumor although I know it's not. or maybe a cyst. It's really raised from his skin the picture is poor quality. It's ugly today. We will have him taken care of soon. my poor guy.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
it really looks like a hot spot...mine haven't had one but my friend whose bullie had one and it was NASTY...red and gross..big raised...google image hot spot in dogs...several look just like it

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
it really looks like a hot spot...mine haven't had one but my friend whose bullie had one and it was NASTY...red and gross..big raised...google image hot spot in dogs...several look just like it

ok, I did..... I hope that's all it is. I've been treating it as such but to no avail. I will keep working on him gently, no heat or squeezing. sigh......I have all kinds of things here to treat him with. I read the one site that says about boosting the immune system with out steroids or antibiotics. that would probably be best thing to do, since it started with allergies. thanks for your help guys, its comforting to know you's are here. working for each other.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
if it makes u feel better jameson had a small growth on his lower lip area..right outside and it was small...no worries...i woke up one day and i swear it was disgusting...it was the size of a rasberry and it was black and it looked just like a rasberry...i was soooo grossed out...i let it go but i wouldn't let him put his face on me i got the hee bee jeebees it was gross...one day a piece fell off when the boys were playing so i took him to the vet...it was a GIANT wart....blahhhhhhhh grossssssss....they took it off right there put 3 stiches in gave him a cookie and sent him on his merry way...i was worried cause all the internet kept saying was cancer this and that...nope just a giant nasty *** wart

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] whatever happened here? Is Grizz ok? I am very curious, Wilbur is developing something similar.....
i hope all turned out well?:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.