All White Bulldogs Deaf?

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I was at the vet today and this lady was asking me if my 10 week old English bulldog had any hearing problems yet, she mentioned that all white dogs have a high chance of being deaf. I have read this before but thought it was rare for them to actually be Deaf. My puppy is all white with bluish eyes that are noticeable in sun light. She also is sort of pink in a way, completely white but you can see some pink in her like a 2 toned color. I have also read that white dogs with bluish eyes are prone to being deaf or blind. I know right now my puppy is neither blind or deaf, I know because if I make noise while she is asleep she will wake up.. I just got really worried, what do you guys think, any other all white English bulldog owners? When I walked into the vet I had at least 2 people mention they've never seen an all white one..Any help or advice is appreciated.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Chesty is all white and he hears just fine. But he has brown eyes. I've heard of "albino" dogs that have hearing problems. I wouldn't worry too much. They are an amazing breed and nothing stops them. Not deafness or blindness.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
the whole UGA line is pure white and none of them r deaf or blind....I wouldnt worry nr listen to ppl...my neighbor has a 9th old pure white boxer. Healthy as a horse

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Lex is all white but has speckled brown spots on him. But when he was a puppy he was all white and had blue eyes. I can tell u he is 20 months and is healthy and can see, hear, and smell like a champ lol. The pink u see is just their skin and when they get hot it will turn almost red. Also when white bullies are out in the sun for long periods o time u should put sunscreen on face, jowls, nose rope, head, and top of back, they get sunburnt easy. When we go to the lake during the summer we apply the spray kind on lex 2 or 3 times while out in the water.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Do they even go deaf later because of being white? I thought that was pretty much a congenital thing that they were either born with or not. :confused:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
There are quite a few people on here with all white bulldogs and none of them are deaf or blind. I don't know much more than that but I would hope that your bully would be showing some sign of a problem by now. Even so, I agree with [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] nothing stops a bully ... blind or deaf or both they will always be more than an average dog!!! :luv:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
it is a congenital issue, [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and @ Libra926 are correct. All white dogs and cats are prone to being deaf it has something to do with the "white" gene.

My brother who bred Dalmations for a long time would have to wait until the spots came in 1.to determine show quality and 2. to figure out the hearing levels. if you look on a breeder site for Dalmations (decent good breeder) they will even mention per puppy if they can hear in one or both ears.

But once they hit a certain age, they were fine and he priced them accordinly.

So I think you are fine, there are a lot of all white bullies including the famous UGA's that are fine (except for other health issues. )

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
My all white great Dane also had haunting blue eyes and pink skin . He was deaf. But that said I know a litter of all white/blue puppies and 3 were deaf 5 were not. My dane and those american bully pups were al BORN deaf so if your pup ins't deaf now the chances of going deaf later are no more than any dog with regular pigment.That's the way the foster bullys vet explained it to us.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I know my breeder has an all white bully and she is deaf. When I was doing my research before we got Tubs I read that it is common for white bullies to be deaf. Also think it has to do with genes. Doesn't mean thatnall white bullies are deaf, just means it is not uncommon!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I think most of those all white, albino type dogs are deaf when they are born and don't necessarily develop it later on. I don't know for sure. People are constantly saying any dog with lots of white is going to be deaf or blind..which isn't always the case. Some dogs are prone to developing it later on in life. But with an albino dog that's lacking pigment, I think they are born deaf and don't just develop it.

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I really hope my Snowy turns out okay. Is there some kind of test she can take to find out for sure if she has any deaf or blindness problems?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
wow i had never heard of this. im learning something new everyday here. im sure your bully wil be fine if its ok now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If snowy has any coloring at all (freckles on her skin, ears, nose) I do not think it is something you should worry about. Do you have a picture of her? My Mandy is all white but as she got older she got loads of freckles on her skin. She also has a patch of fawn, about the size of a pea, on her cheek under her ear. Noone would ever see it unless I showed it to them.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Any time someone says "ALL".. They are wrong. It's not exclusive to dogs..I've had all white cats who were deaf..but that sure doesn't men ALL white cats are deaf!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online