What to do? What to do? Help/Suggestions

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
My husband and I were married aboard the Disney Wonder in January 2010. We brought Tubs home in December 2010. We had such a wonderful time on the Disney Cruise that we watched as they built the Disney Dream. About a year ago we were looking at prices for the Disney Dream and came across a 5 day cruise that we couldn't pass up! When I told my mom about it she was right on board with us! So, we are going to be going on the Disney Dream this coming January to celebrate our 2nd anniversary and my parents are coming with us. I am so excited for this trip! I have been on a cruise before and my parents have been on about 8 and nothing compairs to a Disney Cruise! Since we booked this trip about a year ago, I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do with Tubs. That is the only thing making me apprehensive about this whole trip. Typically, when we go on trips, my parent's leave their lab with my aunt and uncle. I won't be able to leave Tubs with them because my parent's lab is 13. She is my dad's hunting buddy, so she has been worked hard and has difficulty manuvering steps and walking. I can't ask them to deal with all of her care and Tubs' care on top of that. Also, my parent's dog gets stressed when my dad leaves her and she doesn't like Tubs bothering her, so I think it would be too much stress on her as well. I have been going through my head to think of someone that I can trust to give Tubs the care he needs and to keep an eye on him incase any medical issues arise while we are gone. They also need to know that they will need to wipe his chin after he drinks unless they want water all over their house and his butt after he :poo: unless they want :poo: on their floors. I am sure I can make arrangements with our vet in case whoever watches him needs to take him there, I would be able to pay when I got back, but I need to find someone who will be willing to take him to the vet if need be! I am leary about a kennel because I don't know if he would get the attention he needs there. We have one right by us, www.allstarkennels.net, but I don't know. I have a friend who might take him, but she lives an hour away and has a zoo of her own (cat, dog, birds and 2 kids) I don't know if that is a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions??????? I am also need to find someone reliable because we will be out at sea and I won't be able to call or get calls without it costing an arm and a leg! Help Please!:cry:

Last edited:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Have you used that kennel before for day care or anything? I just checked their site and it seems great. What if you brought him there to see how he "fits in" and what his accommodations would be. My brother took his dog to a doggy day care and loved it so much they boarded him for a week while on vacation. He was very well taken care of and loved!!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
hmmm...call the kennel and talk to them...we tested the one we use locally before leaving ours there...we made sure they had bulldog experience and they had phone numbers to my parents for emergencies....if u were closer to nyc i would say i could help ya but i'm 20 miles north of the city so that's no good for u

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sending him to daycare at the kennel you are considering is an excellent idea. Talk to them, find out their bullie experience, test them. :) Another idea is ask at your vets office, Maybe one of the vet assistants does that sort of care or has a friend that does.... wouldn't hurt to ask.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok i used to manage a dog daycare for 5 years. I looked at the website and it seems nice. I have some ?? though. Are the daycare dogs always monitored by a trained person (not just on camera) are they ever left alone? Is the daycare both in and outdoors. Do they have experience with bulldogs? What is the owner/ managers experience with dogs. What is their screening process or daycare? What is their plan for emergencies? I could go on and on but this will get you to a pretty good start. A good daycare/ kennel is a great safe place for dogs.ANd if these people know what they are doing you will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Thanks all for the feedback. I will check out the Kennel and maybe take him for a visit. I have a big problem with accepting help and giving up control, so it is hard for me to trust other people to do things for me. I just feel that if I want it done right, do it myself (case and point....my husband taking Tubs to the vet the last time....we all know how that turned out!:nope:). With having a bully now and knowing how much work they need I am leary of leaving him with someone who doesn't have bully experience! UGGGGG! :confused:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all for the feedback. I will check out the Kennel and maybe take him for a visit. I have a big problem with accepting help and giving up control, so it is hard for me to trust other people to do things for me. I just feel that if I want it done right, do it myself (case and point....my husband taking Tubs to the vet the last time....we all know how that turned out!:nope:). With having a bully now and knowing how much work they need I am leary of leaving him with someone who doesn't have bully experience! UGGGGG! :confused:

Right there with you. and,m if I lived a little closer I would watch him for you, but I'm thinking we are about 90 - 120 minutes apart??

Most Reactions