just got a puppy, support and questions!

kr00kd

Oct 11, 2011
hey guys. i just got my englush bulldog. this is the second night ive had him so far and i have some questions. this is the first time ive been able to make it online. my pup is quite the attention seeker. first off, when i put him in his crate at night he cries/whines/barks. it makes me feel so bad! is there a way to make him quit doing this or is that normal? i dont use his crate as a punishment, just when im sleeping or have to eat. i get the feeling he already doesnt like the crate by how he cries when he gets put in it. does that change over time? how can i make the crate seem more desireable to him? also as far as potty training goes he is doing better i think. he doesnt ask to go out yet but tonight he went potty every time outside because i brought him. when he did his business i praised him and gave him a treat. how long can i expect before he is fully potty trained? will he eventually just sit by the door when he has to go? also once he is potty trained can i let him out of the crate at night? when is a good time to do that? any other advice or suggestions for a new pup owner appreciated!

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
2 quick suggestions from me (i was beating my head against the wall with almost the exact same problems a few months ago, Buster's about 5 months now). 1) for the whining, unfortunately you kind of just have to weather the storm. For me, I just tried to sleep near him and talk to him to try and calm him down. I've heard of things that work that i didn't get a chance to try: a ticking clock outside the crate, a warm bottle of water wrapped in a towel. Maybe someone else can help out there. For me, it was just consistency and a little talking and shushing and surprisingly i think he got over it in about a week. He'll get over it, and the blood curdling crying isn't as bad as it seems. It's totally normal.

2. the biggest potty training thing that worked for me was to start a schedule (about every hour at first) of taking him out to pee. Rather than wait and hope he gets it (and cleaning accidents) you get him to not only get on your schedule but he learns quickly that he's supposed to go outside.

Buster is, like i said, about 5 months and he sits by the door to tell us when he wants to go out. He does, however still have accident, but theyre typically when we forget or don't notice him by the door. He literally stopped having accident consistently about a month ago maybe. Probably a little less. Even though he's now pretty good at potty training he still sleeps in the crate. Not really sure when he'll be "okay" to sleep out of it but it's something I don't think i'll be looking into soon.

Sorry for the long ramble, hope it helps! I got a lot of great help here and the biggest thing i learned is DONT get overwhelmed. There will be times where it just seems impossible but hang in there and know it'll get better soon! Good luck with your little guy!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Once things get organized with your new puppy feel free to introduce yourself and your new fur-baby and post some pictures.

01CB2702-orig.jpg

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
i don't have advice for the crate, we were super lucky with brooklyn. she whined 10-15 minutes the first night and then slept right through the night from then on. she is potty trained but she does not go to the door to tell us she has to go out, we just take her out on a regular schedule, like before we leave the house and as soon as we get home and other time in between.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. We are glad you joined but would love to have you tell us more about your puppy and its family. Pix are greatly appreciated,,,,, more like demanded. lol. Keep asking questions, that's what we are here for,,, and to look at pix!! ;)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We were lucky with the crate too, the breeder kept them in a baby gate so Lola kind of knew how it went. It helped during bedtime to calmly say 'it's ok, go to bed Lola, go to bed' until she got sleepy and laid down. She also gets a kong of peanut butter EVERY time, and a dry kong treat- the liver kind. we call it her cookie. Incentive :) PB means bedtime, and she has some nylabones in the crate for amusement when she's not sleeping which isnt much. it helps that she is actually tired before bed, especially when she was younger.

For the first two weeks or so (Lola was 3 months old) we got up in the middle of the night to let her out once. After that its bedtime 10:30ish and we physically have to wake her up at 7am for outside/breakfast before we have to work.

Lola still doesn't tell us when she needs to go outside, infact she hates the backyard. But she does know when she's supposed to go out because she hides under a chair. And when we know she has to poo but wants back inside really quick, we just block the door and say, more business Lola...go do your business. i know you have to poop! hah. then she reluctantly poops. you'll know puppy's schedule soon enough.

Welcome!
April

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i thought i'd add that we close up Lola's bedroom when she's in the crate so she's not distracted by us walking around/ watching tv or other bedroom related things....but i can hear her snoring through the crack in the door! she's only had an accident once in the crate and she barked to let us know she wanted clean sheets. it just shows that they do not want to do their business where they sleep.

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I've had our puppy for a month now and we've gone through the same issues as you. Jack is 11 wks now and is sleeping through the night in his crate. The first week I would have to lay outside of his crate until he fell asleep. I would start out lying up against the crate and pretend to be asleep. He could feel me and sniff me and would then fall asleep. I'd move farther away after a few minutes and then just leave when I heard snoring. We played music for him but not sure if he noticed it or not, we aren't doing it now and he seems fine. One thing that Jack loves and we can't forget to do, is to cover the crate up with a light sheet or blanket when its bedtime. I don't know why, but Jack likes to be covered like a bird. We have a large open crate and not a plastic closed up one, if that makes sense. He doesn't mind the crate at all and since its in the middle of where the 3 busiest rooms connect, he feels like he is still part of the action. We put him in the crate during our meal times or when I can't watch him. Jack is doing great with the potty training but someone is always watching him when he is out. We also won't leave him out of the crate overnight until we can trust him to not eat everything. He might be 2 yrs old before we trust to leave him unsupervised.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I am sorry I can't be much help with the crate. Tubs was great from the start. The first night we had an accident that was our fault. We had just returned from Alaska the night before we picked him up from the breeder, so we were exhausted. Tubs went right in his crate and fell right to sleep, no problems. We obviously we passed out too, until we hear whinning around 5:00am. I went out to check on him to see what was wrong, and saw he :poo: in his kennel and got it on him. I took him and put Tubs in the tub :ROFL: and cleaned him up, while daddy cleaned up his kennel. From that point we realized we needed to get up to take him out around 3:00 to make sure he was good through the night. This lasted until we got to the point where we would get up to take him out and he was sound asleep, so we just left him. Also, we give him a treat when he goes into the kennel so he realizes it is a good thing. We stopped using the kennel around 6 months. At night he sleeps in our room and during the day he is gated in the dining room/kitchen area, just so he doesn't get into anything in the bedrooms. He has been great and only had an accident when daddy didn't take him out right away in the morning and left for work while mommy was still sleeping. (believe me, daddy heard about that one). He also had a :poo: accident one night when he had an upset tummy. Typically he will jump up and put his front paws on the bed to wake us up to let us he knows he has to go out, but not that night, but those things are bound to happen. Right now we don't have the kennel up in our house. 1) our house is up for sale and it helps with showing and 2)he is at my parent's house quite a bit and they have a 13 year old lab who likes to be left alone, so they have the kennel there and he goes right in and lays down no problem. I am sure the more you stick it out the easier it will get and eventually you will get to the point where you will say "do you remember when we couldn't get him to go in there???" Don't worry though, you are not alone, I remember when my parent's brought their lab home, she cried and cried and cried! It gets better.....enjoy, They get big fast! :)

Last edited:

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
make the crate feel friendly...put a stuffed animal in there with him...praise him when he goes in...they love a blanket over it...it's the cave feel. after a while if u give lots of praise they will go in automatically. ours would go in when we left for the comfort. the whining will stop eventually...i think it lasted about a week for me.

potty training for me was a longer process than my boyfriends...pls remember the bladder is tiny tiny tiny...right now depending on the age you need to take them out every hour or so...increasing the time in between. pls expect accidents...it happens....take them out after meals, before bed, get up in the middle of the night to take them out...they will learn to hold it longer and longer as they grow. mine will only let us know they have to go out if it's at a random time during the day...otherwise they go out am, afternoon and pm. jameson will do the pee pee dance if he is desperate to go or put his nose against the door...titan will sit and look at u....

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I would LOVE to leave Jack (10 months old) out of the crate at nite but unfortunately I dont trust him.
He still likes to chew and pull on clothes.... especially my gym socks....

Im so afraid he'll swallow a piece of clothing again...

I think he'll be in his crate until he's 14 years old or sometime around then ! :ROFL:

Attachments

• 20170107_165339.jpg
    20170107_165339.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 130
  • snow man.jpg
    snow man.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 120

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Just wanted to say hello and welcome. seems like you have tons f great advice already. Also advice is much easier to give if we can see your pup :cough pics cough: :D

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I would LOVE to leave Jack (10 months old) out of the crate at nite but unfortunately I dont trust him.
He still likes to chew and pull on clothes.... especially my gym socks....

Im so afraid he'll swallow a piece of clothing again...

I think he'll be in his crate until he's 14 years old or sometime around then ! :ROFL:

Tubs is funny. He is only gated in the kitchen/dining room area when we leave the house. Other than that he has the run of the house. Once in a while he will find a pencil or something in my daughter's room and chew that up, but he is like a little kid, if he is quiet and not in the livingroom when I am home I know he is up to something! At night he comes in our room and will lay down to sleep, as long as we wear him out enough, otherwise he is jumping on the bed to get us to play with him. In the summer we even left the door open for him because he was cooler laying on the laminate flooring right outside our door, and so far he has been great! I did try leaving him out of the kitchen one day when I left the house for a couple of hours with my daughter still at home sleeping, but when I got home I found he tore my entire trash can (in my bedroom) apart and chewed up a plastic hanger. :cursing: I didn't know if he ate any of it, so I was sitting there trying to put the pieces back together to see if I had a whole hanger:detective:. After that I decided he is getting gated no matter what!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.