just got a puppy, support and questions!

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I would LOVE to leave Jack (10 months old) out of the crate at nite but unfortunately I dont trust him.
He still likes to chew and pull on clothes.... especially my gym socks....

Im so afraid he'll swallow a piece of clothing again...

I think he'll be in his crate until he's 14 years old or sometime around then ! :ROFL:

I believe you have an older version of my Jack. He has a thing for clothing too. I should feed him my husband's MN Vikings shirt. :-D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This worked really well for me when we brought Wilson home at 8 weeks. Put the crate as close to the bed and you as you can. Cover it with a light weight blanket and cover the front about half way. What he wants is to know you're close by. When he starts to whine or bark just put your hand down and touch him with your fingers through the crate. Leave you hand their as long as you need too. After a few times of his I only had to let him feel me for a minute, give or take. It worked wonderful for me. I also read about doing that in one the bully books i bought under the crate training section. Now give us pictures or else!!! :p

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hello and welcome to the site.... all great advice has been given from previous posts... best of luck and enjoy your baby!

We LOVE pictures!!

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
hey guys. i just got my englush bulldog. this is the second night ive had him so far and i have some questions. this is the first time ive been able to make it online. my pup is quite the attention seeker. first off, when i put him in his crate at night he cries/whines/barks. it makes me feel so bad! is there a way to make him quit doing this or is that normal? i dont use his crate as a punishment, just when im sleeping or have to eat. i get the feeling he already doesnt like the crate by how he cries when he gets put in it. does that change over time? how can i make the crate seem more desireable to him? also as far as potty training goes he is doing better i think. he doesnt ask to go out yet but tonight he went potty every time outside because i brought him. when he did his business i praised him and gave him a treat. how long can i expect before he is fully potty trained? will he eventually just sit by the door when he has to go? also once he is potty trained can i let him out of the crate at night? when is a good time to do that? any other advice or suggestions for a new pup owner appreciated!

Isn't that great! Welcometo the world of being a Bully parent , your life will never be the same and if you don't believe this ask anyone here.

Do some research on crate training. Maybe put an old tshirt in the crate, something with your smell .
Bullys do not come with a "schedule of events" so to say so there is no set time that you can expect him to be fully potty trained. There is nothing in their DNA makeup that makes them automajically sit by a door to inform you of his need to preform his toilet.:tease::D LOL. I,m just funnin with you but what you are going to have to do is work with your pup to housebreak it . Start right away . If you want him to sit at a door to let you know he needs to go out then you have to train him to do that. We have our dogs trained to paw at a string of bells tied to the door handle to let us know. Bullys are a very intelligent BUT stubborn breed so they can be a bit difficult .Thing is you have to be persistent in training. Let me suggest you start googling and reading as much about reward training as you can. Try the clicker training method as this is the best one for just about any animal. Just make sure you do it properly, if you need help ask or fins a professional in your area (PetSmart) can help , they have some dog training instructors etc.
One important reminder that will help you narrow down potty times. Bullys pretty much have to do their bisness soon after they eat AND if they ate a big meal even sooner.So within 15 minutes of your bully eating Take hime out , if he does nothing wait about 10 more minutes and take him out again.You'll soon learn his routinue when it comes to dump taking time.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.