How to socialize

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I'm trying to figure out how to get Jack properly socialized. He turned 11 wks yesterday and hasn't been around any dogs since he still has one more set of shots due. We have dogs that live on both sides of us and the dogs can see each other through the fences. On one side we have some elderly toy poodles who are half-blind and moody. They bark at everything and won't come to the fence for a proper introduction. On the other side of us are 2 brittany spaniels and a chihuaua. These neighbors keep the chihuaua inside mostly since he isn't that friendly. The brittany spaniels are friendly but they bark and come charging at the fence in excitement. Jack takes off running most of the time. With the owners there, we've tried doing introductions through the fence and it is getting better. These dogs would never hurt Jack but I'm afraid of what this is doing to him mentally. I don't want him fearful of other dogs. I read where the most important time in his social development is up to 12 wks of age. We haven't even taken him out and about except to the vet's office and on occassion, to pick up my daughter from school. Do you think it'll be fine if he waits a few more weeks before really getting out and around other dogs? I even considered getting him a friend from the animal shelter but with a toddler and a puppy already, thought it might be too chaotic.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
How about joining a local meet up group? Mable loved to go to the meet ups! I just started Bo in "puppy daycare" a day or two a week for the same reason. He gets to see some dogs - on leashes - here in the complex where we live, but not much "one on one" playing in the little dog park here. The Shitzu, Toy Poodle and Yorkie crowd here are probably kinda freaked out by these two toothy faces - truth be known. There's a Boxer that they play with from time to time and a big black lab, from down the street. Bo had his first day on Saturday at "Doggy Day Camp" and he had a BLAST, they said. He'll be going back once or twice a week. Bea used to go to PetSmart Doggie Day Camp two days a week, when I worked out in Woodinville, WA. She loved it at first - but then Bo came home and she was too tired to play with those other dogs. The camp counselors suggested that it was silly for me to bring her there to nap. I agreed. heh heh

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Since Jack hasn't had his full vaccines yet, how about taking him to Pet Co or Pet Smart while either carrying him or putting him in the cart (with a blanket or towel on it). That way he'll see other dogs but hopefully won't feel so threatened b/c he won't be in direct contact with them. Also, i think it's good to expose pups to other people as well so taking him with you to say, a relative or friend's house, is a good start.

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
The way we did it was taking Buster to the dog park, after his shots of course. He absolutely loves it. He may actually be that way naturally. He's literally never barked once at another person or dog. He just loves everyone :) On our walk today he ran up to some stranger getting home and greeted some dogs. Again, i don't know if he's incredibly social by nature or because he's spent so much time at the dog park, but i know the dog park is great. He gets plenty of time and space to socialize with dogs AND people.

OP
FourPetes

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
How about joining a local meet up group? Mable loved to go to the meet ups! I just started Bo in "puppy daycare" a day or two a week for the same reason. He gets to see some dogs - on leashes - here in the complex where we live, but not much "one on one" playing in the little dog park here. The Shitzu, Toy Poodle and Yorkie crowd here are probably kinda freaked out by these two toothy faces - truth be known. There's a Boxer that they play with from time to time and a big black lab, from down the street. Bo had his first day on Saturday at "Doggy Day Camp" and he had a BLAST, they said. He'll be going back once or twice a week. Bea used to go to PetSmart Doggie Day Camp two days a week, when I worked out in Woodinville, WA. She loved it at first - but then Bo came home and she was too tired to play with those other dogs. The camp counselors suggested that it was silly for me to bring her there to nap. I agreed. heh heh

The local meet-up group doesn't have anything planned and the bulldog club had a meeting last month but it was over an hour away....too far for me and two small kids and a puppy to go alone. The vet said I should wait 4 more weeks before taking Jack to public places with other dogs. Which is why all this is frustrating. He'll be about 16 wks before we can get him out.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I don't see too much choice without his shots. But on the other hand I don't see waiting as being terrible either. Id rather wait than risk him catching something. BTW,,,, we sure could use some updated pix of that little cutie of yours.. :heart::heart:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The local meet-up group doesn't have anything planned and the bulldog club had a meeting last month but it was over an hour away....too far for me and two small kids and a puppy to go alone. The vet said I should wait 4 more weeks before taking Jack to public places with other dogs. Which is why all this is frustrating. He'll be about 16 wks before we can get him out.

Dang. Well, the only thing you can do at this point is hook up with a trusted friend (nice, healthy dogs) and arrange a play date. I really liked Henny's idea too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Having worked at a doggie daycare... all you need is for the pup to have his rabies, second round of distemper, and kennel cough to be safely around other dogs. If you Jack-Jack is there, taking him to walk around Petsmart/Petco is fine.

OP
FourPetes

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
Having worked at a doggie daycare... all you need is for the pup to have his rabies, second round of distemper, and kennel cough to be safely around other dogs. If you Jack-Jack is there, taking him to walk around Petsmart/Petco is fine.

He's had all that, just waiting on the 3rd set. I'm thinking we'll have to take a trip to Petsmart anyway since we need a harness for him. Thanks for the info!

OP
FourPetes

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I think we'll be taking small trips to Petsmart. I do have a friend who has a Newfoundland puppy but he's the size of her full grown german shepards so I'm not sure how that would go. It would be interesting to see them play.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would definitely wait on his last set of jabs before you take him anywhere on foot, but I like the idea of putting him in the shopping cart at your local pet store when you go and get the harness so that everybody can fall in love with him!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think we'll be taking small trips to Petsmart. I do have a friend who has a Newfoundland puppy but he's the size of her full grown german shepards so I'm not sure how that would go. It would be interesting to see them play.

Both our bullies preferred to play with the big dogs as puppies and adults... Cane Corsos, Shepards and American Bulldogs among others.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.