cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I took my niece shopping at the mall this afternoon and we wandered into a pet store. I don't know why but i'm still surprised to see pet stores with puppies for sale, sitting, sleeping, playing behind glass windows. There were lots of different breeds there, but of course, the one that caught my eye was an English Bulldog, born on 8/5/11 (as the sign stated). There were lots of people staring at this adorable little pup who was fawn and white. There was even one little girl who was pleading with her parents to buy the bully today. I overheard someone asking the store clerk how much the bully was and the reply, to my astonishment, was $4000! Wow, i thought to myself. That's a lot of money! I'm wondering why someone would go to a pet store versus a reputable breeder to get a bulldog? I guess I'm ignorant or naive about this but there must be a demand for pet shop dogs if pet shop owners can ask such high prices for their dogs. :confused:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I really don't like seeing puppies at pet stores..it's just a breeding ground for disaster.

English Bulldogs are always SO expensive at those stores, it's ridiculous.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
finding a breeder takes more time than walking into a pet store. that how they get away with it. but i will say that the only breeder i found here in CT charges $4000 a puppy, that's how we ended up in NY.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
finding a breeder takes more time than walking into a pet store. that how they get away with it. but i will say that the only breeder i found here in CT charges $4000 a puppy, that's how we ended up in NY.

:eek: Shocking isn't it [MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION] ? The good news is that these kinds of prices will keep folks considering rescue - rather than running out and getting a puppy as an impulse buy at the pet store. Can you imagine? Making the choice to add a new FAMILY MEMBER to your pack as an impulse? Ugh! Bea came from a breeder --- but one that I did a boatload of research on and came recommended by two well known people in rescue out here. Bo is my lucky penny. He came from rescue as a puppy; which never, ever happens - and I was on the waiting list at rescue since Bea was 6 months old.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
:eek: Shocking isn't it @Sarah ? The good news is that these kinds of prices will keep folks considering rescue - rather than running out and getting a puppy as an impulse buy at the pet store. Can you imagine? Making the choice to add a new FAMILY MEMBER to your pack as an impulse? Ugh! Bea came from a breeder --- but one that I did a boatload of research on and came recommended by two well known people in rescue out here. Bo is my lucky penny. He came from rescue as a puppy; which never, ever happens - and I was on the waiting list at rescue since Bea was 6 months old.
This is exactly why we started looking at rescues. Pet store prices and breeder prices were insane! We got our Jackson from a rescue and will only get future pets from rescues.

mersc726

Sep 10, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jud
The only thing i can think of and i hope i am wrong is....PUPPY MILL:cursing:

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Yes I would have loved to rescue and definately will in the future, it was just hard since I'm young, all pets I've ever had were under my parents names at the vet so I technically had no vet references and we rent too which a lot of rescues don't like. But when I'm older and own my own home and am ready for more, rescue would be the first place I'd go.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I got Gizmo on an impulse buy... from a small-time pet store. Paid $1,200 for him. He's not a puppy mill dog. His parents are from an AKC line with a champion or two (the store had his pedigree on a laminated poster, which I really didn't care for - I had no intention of showing the dog or even getting him registered with the AKC) and the breeder produces one litter a year. He keeps one or two to train for show and the rest goes to the store.

Yes, it was an impulse buy but... I've been looking for a dog for over a year, I just haven't decided what breed to go for. So, it's not all bad out there. Even the mall stores.

But, a little girl begging for a dog and the parents not really prepared for a dog but getting it for the girl is quite common at the mall! So, $4,000 is a GREAT price for an english bulldog at the mall. It lessens the chance of an "impulse buy". Besides, it is really not a bad price for an English Bulldog. If you can afford $4,000 for an english bulldog, chances are, you can afford to pay the all-too-common vet bills that go with it. If you can't afford the dog, chances are, you can't afford the vet either.

Last edited:

FourPetes

Sep 9, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack-Jack
I think some people will go to a pet store for a dog because they can finance the puppy. Plus, a store won't ask questions like a reputable breeder. I feel bad for the animals. You're torn about wanting to help the individual dog, but know that for the whole lot of them, its best not to support these puppy mills.

brandi576

Jun 27, 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
chance
my chance came from a pet store and no hes not a puppy mill pup..he came with a 3 yr health guarantee and has an excellent bloodline background!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I am glad to hear that not all puppies at pet shops come from puppy mills. I would think that, with all the press about puppy mills and pet stores buying from them and the negativity associated with that, stores nowadays are more conscientious about where they're getting their pups from. I did notice that some of the "signs" on the puppy cages had statements like, "Breeder information on file" or something to that effect.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Five years ago I saw the sweetest little puggle at a pet store in a mall. Asked the attendant where it came from and she just said "puppy broker." As much as I wanted to rescue him I decided to pass. Didn't want to encourage the business. It is very hard to resist

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online