Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is wrong with Chucky's testicles?

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: what is wrong with Chucky's testicles?

Testicles can take awhile to drop, just depends on the dog. 1 year is really the max. If they don't come out by then, you really should get him neutered as it can be cancerous.

The condition is actually called cryptorchidism...commonly known as "crypto." I dealt with it a lot when I was working at a vet's office. It's more common than you might think.

Bulldogs are one of the breeds known to getting it. The most popular breeds to develop crypto are Toy and Miniature Poodles, Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, Malteses, Cairn and Yorkshire Terriers, Dachshunds, Schnauzers, Shetland Sheep dogs, Pekingeses and Bulldogs.

There are lots of complications with crypto if left untreated.
    1.) Testicular Torsion
    2.) Testicular Cancer
    3.) Male feminizing syndrome
    4.) Bone marrow hypoplasia pancytopenia (estrogen toxicity)

A lot of times with dogs with crypto, you can feel on the inner legs and actually find the testicles. That makes for the easiest surgery in removing them. They can also get loose and float around in the abdominal cavity..which can be really dangerous and has an even greater chance of developing into cancer. Those are hard to remove because it's basically explorative surgery.

Here's a picture of what I mean by being able to see / feel it in the inner leg:

hope I helped!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    chucky
    Likes (Received)

ok so my friend has to cats and they are neuter and they are really big i wont say fat but for a car they are really big and before they were neuter their size was regular but now all day do is sleep....my grandfather has like a lil farm and he has horses and all kind of animals and he has told me like 100 times that when a animal gets neuter their size gets bigger or fat or whatever you want to call it...and i have seen the animals before and after they got neuter in horses and in cats and even in pigs...my grandfather was like "dont get him neuter because he is fat or ( pure muscle) the point is that bulldogs are really heavy for their size that is what makes us love them...well so he was like dont neuter him because he is going to get so much big and when he gets a older he wont even be able to stand up and walk...thats what he said and he really knows about getting animals neuter....and as i said one of the most important reasons is because i want to have a babie from him when he passes on dont want to breed him or make money or anything like that i just love him so much and im 100% sure that when he dies im going to get another bulldog and i would love him to be from Chucky .

Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

@Jorge Rodriguez Sorry to say, but your grandfather's information is incorrect. It might be true for some animals, but not true for most. In fact, I've only seen it happen to one or two animals and that's just because they were lazy to begin with.

Neutering will not affect their weight as long as you still feed him the correct amount and he gets his exercise.

Take my bulldog for example. She's spayed and weighs 40 lbs and is incredibly fit..just look at my avatar.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

yeah I think it is more usually that you spay/neuter a dog when it is an active little puppy and as it gets older it mellows out and gains weight due to no longer having that puppy energy, not because they no longer have reproductive organs.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubs
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everyone else. Tubs was 5 months old when we got him neutered. We didn't have a problem with his testicles dropping. I have to look up how much he weighed when he was that young, but he is going to be 1 next Sunday and the last time he was at the vet he weighed 63.6 lbs. He gained weight because he/was still a puppy and continues to grow. He was very Wrinkly when he was little, but he filled out a lot if body wrinkles. I also wanted to breed Tubs because he is such a wonderful dog, but then I got to thinking, 1- there are so many dogs in shelters who are looking for homes, and if I breed him that will take away from their chances of getting adopted, 2-health. I love this little guy so much that I wanted to make the best choices to keep him healthy. My parent's have a 13 year old lab who they didn't get fixed and when she was 7 they almost lost her because she got a massive infection in her uterus. I now exactly what you are thinking and feeling about with a new puppy when our current bullies pass on, but I think you need to do what is best to keep your current bully healthy now and not worry about what is going to happen when he passes on because no matter what there isn't going to be another dog that is going to be chunky even if he is his son. No matter where your next puppy come ps from they will have their own personality and you will love the. Just as much!
    Last edited by speechmom53; 10-09-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Real Name
    Denize
    Bulldog(s) Names
    walter
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laurendoodler View Post
    @Jorge Rodriguez Sorry to say, but your grandfather's information is incorrect. It might be true for some animals, but not true for most. In fact, I've only seen it happen to one or two animals and that's just because they were lazy to begin with.

Neutering will not affect their weight as long as you still feed him the correct amount and he gets his exercise.

Take my bulldog for example. She's spayed and weighs 40 lbs and is incredibly fit..just look at my avatar.
    I really agree with what you have said, and no matter what if we love our bullies we want what is best for them in years to come

Bulldog(s) Names
    chucky
    Likes (Received)

ok so how much would be to get him neuter ? his vet gave me an approximation and its between 450 to 650 is it really that expensive or they are charging me too much? i mean everytime i got they charge me 55 just for checking him plus all the rest of the stuff those 55 is the fee i have to pay to take him there nothing else the first time was 85 then every time i go i have to pay 55 and the rest like shots or any medication.... how much do you usually pay for taking your dog to the vet i mean without the shots ans stuff like that just to take him and how much did you paid for neuter him.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

That sounds really high for a neuter.... age and weight do play a factor in pricing, but that is if they are older dogs, not puppies. I thnk, we pid around 150 for Nitschke to get his done. As for the regualr visit, just to walk in the door it is 50.00 and follow-up appts. are either no charge or 35.00 - depends on what it is for. We atually never been charged, but the paperwork states that on the wall in the office.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

That's high for a neuter. Certain vets will charge that much. I worked for one that charged $500 and that's just insane. I spent like $300 on Delilah's spay which I know now was way too much.

Do you have other vets in your area? Call and get price estimates. Or better yet, is there a low cost spay and neuter clinic? There might even be some programs set up.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

yes sometimes clinic's run specials and you get a coupon for neuter or spay. You are paying way too much Jorge. It cost me to have the girls spayed (and females cost more usually) $175 each and follow ups were free. You can get it done cheaper like I said. sometimes the humane league is giving away gift certificates too. for like $35
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads