Miracle in a can!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I wanted to share a little tip I discovered this past week to help curb undesirable behavior in unruly bullies.

When my puppy does something I do not want him to do (like eat the cat's food, bite toes, gnaw on furniture), I correct with a sharp "No!" But if that doesn't work, I've found that a short puff of canned air (the kind you used to get dust off electronics) is a wonderful and harmless way to correct bad behavior. If you don't use the little stick that comes with it and just use the air out of the can and puff it in the direction of the puppy (but not too close), they feel the air and also the sound of the air coming out of the can, which causes the pup to refocus on something other than the naughty task at hand. It's inexpensive (about $3) and unpleasant for the puppy to the extent they stop the behavior but is totally harmless!

One caveat is that you cannot use a prolonged or directed spray because the spray comes out cold and could be painful - but it's totally unnecessary anyway! A short puff is all you need.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but it was a total revelation for me and so effective, within a day, I can once again leave my kitties' food on the ground without my puppy eating it!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I used the spray bottle and it was basically a nuisance to the puppy and nothing more...but the puff of air COUPLED with the pretty loud spraying noise worked like a charm...and no wet puppy!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I will have to admit, I never haves used a spray bottle. Although I know many people find sucess in this, I have found that it makes them fear water, and especially baths.

When we got Mandy this solidified my beleif in this. She absolutely HATES water, and only recently is she getting better about me touching her face, as it is my beleif that not only was she crammed into a crate too small for her, but she was also sprayed in the face with water for punishment.

I like this idea, but I would also like to look into the safety of it, as I know kids were using this stuff to get high a few years back. It would be my assumption that you would need to keep a measurable distance from your bully?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sam doesn't hate water, doesn't like baths but he doesn't hate water. I don't use the spray bottle much, mostly when we have company like I have some girlfriends over in skirts, children or an older person and I don't want him jumping all over them. Or he is trying to steal food, stuff like that. After a few times of being sprayed he got the message, I rarely even have to spray it anymore. He sees the bottle and stops whatever he is doing. He knows when he is doing something naughty. He really doesn't require much discipline in general. He does jump up on people which I really should work on :eek:

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, I keep it at least 18 inches away from him and just let out a puff of air - basically enough to feel it on his fur but nothing else. You can try it on your arm just to see - it feels no more than a strong fan or something.

The danger with it is if you use a prolonged, directed spray (out of the stick thing that comes with it), it gets cold and, of course, the propellants can be used to get high but you have to have opposable thumbs (as in spray it directly in your nose for a prolonged or several prolonged periods of time) and be an idiot teenager for that. ( : Basically, there's no danger in getting your bullie high unless you're trying to.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know there is a difference in using it as a tool for discipline, and over abusing it. Yes, many people use it and it works great, and I have heard the same thing you say- all you have to do is pick it up and they will stop the behavior. I just get an eerie feeling Mandy was sprayed with it A LOT. And maybe not even a spray bottle- it could have been a hose with a sprayer on it...?!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Poor Mandy! Yeah that would be traumatic if is were the hose with the sprayer on it, sprays to the face, sprays while locked in a kennel. I had a friend over in a skirt the other day and when she first got to my house I just walked around with the spray bottle, I don't want him jumping all over her scratching her legs. Didn't spray him or even point it at him, just held it. He would look at her like oooo I want to jump on you (doing the little booty wiggle at her feet) then look over at me and it was like oh wait not bad enough to get sprayed LOL. I know there are better methods out there and I really should be better at correcting this behavior.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is my problem, I ahve no better solution!! LOL But I like this idea here of jills, and also Froggz discussion about not showing the tragedy to the dog- but focus the tragedy on the tragedy itself. I have already tried it twice today, once on Jesse, who looked at me with utter surprise and shock- and once with my two babies who found an unlocked door to the bathroom and proceeded to toss and throw the toilet paper roll in and out of the toilet. Gotta love toddlers. There was TP everywhere, the walls, the floor, all over the toilet. Even found the cardboard roll part flattened in the toilet paper mess. 2 baths and 2 laundry loads later, it has finally been cleaned up ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not at the moment.... everyones sleepin :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have 4 kids, ages 12, 7, 2 and 1. Five bullies, pictured below :). I posted some pics in the members only board of my two little ones :). They almost look like twins!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Oh wow! You did twins the hard way, two pregnancies! You are one busy gal!! Can I go see the pics? Or do you have to have 100 posts? Im still not totally clear on all the rules here.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online