Any one recommend a good dog trainer in DFW?

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
I have a 9 week old English Bulldog that is very playful and loves to chew on everything. I live in an apartment and its diffcult to try and potty train her. I dont know if I can trust petsmart since it is a group training.

Any help on this would be much appreciated! :bully:

Attachments

• Marly.jpg
    Marly.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 87

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome to the site, what a beautiful baby you got there!

You could search dog trainer and hopefully find some unbiased reviews. Crate training, Ceasar Milan DVDs, ummm that is all I can think of. Hope you will find a great trainer :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Congrats on a beautiful puppy!

I don't know anyone DFW but I faced a similar dilemma in training my 10 week old bullie just a few weeks ago. I never had a pup so young and I felt like things were out of control a bit - or that I was doing everything wrong! Let me just say that things get better SO quickly and since your baby really doesn't have control over her "eliminations" yet, it might be better to wait a bit on the training. In the time we've had our puppy (between 10-13 weeks), he's come SUCH a long way with a little bit of tough love, a lot of consistency, and being more stubborn than he is.

Crate training is the key to getting them to learn to hold it but remember, at her age, your baby cannot hold it more than an hour or two and will just let it out when she feels it. That doesn't mean you can show her how to go out or puppy pads but it does mean you probably need to tap more into her natural instincts (not wanting to eliminate where she sleeps) in order to start the training process.

The other thing I've started to use for when our pup does something he's not supposed to is spray him with a little puff of canned air (not even on him, in his direction) and, of course, saying no. It's really effective used together and I can already leave my cat's food out without the puppy eating it.

But, although it is hard (they are an absolute handful!), maybe give it some time until she's grown a little to get a trainer. That way she's already be on her way to good habits from your training, you'll maximize your training dollar, and she'll be a little older and better able to understand different commands and physically do what you'd like her to.

Good luck!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
We did use PetSmart for Chester... there were only 3 dogs there, him and 2 St. Bernard puppies. My husband liked them.. but unfortunately, I think my baby Chester got "put through" to graduation anyway. As his main goal during training was trying to bite the tails of the St. Bernards while they were listening and obeying their commands :eek: Truly, I am not joking about the "baby bully delinquent" I have! >.< <o :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online