Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I make a mistake adopting Tyson?

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Default Did I make a mistake adopting Tyson?

Ok So let me start by say Tyson is GREAT, He has no behavior issues and he is a really sweet boy and we all love him already. That may be the problem. We were told Tyson was 7 when we adopted him. Now I don't know if that means that he just turned 7 or if he is closer to 8. My mother, who doesn't quite understand how I can love a dog so much (Dozer), pointed out that the bulldog life span is 8 years. Darn you google! I can't say I didn't know this but I like to think of it more like 10 years. When she said this I wanted to plug my ears and yell "i'm not listening , I'm not listening". She then asked why I would adopt an dog this old when I had been so upset about the last one. That he wouldn't live very long either. Why would I want to do that to my family. It doesn't matter now because he is not going anywhere. Whether he lives another 6 months or 16 years he is here to stay . I now have a sense of guilt about it I hadn't had before. Truthfully I'm scared, because losing DOzer was the worst thing to ever happen in my life, I can't handle that again any time soon.
    Last edited by dozersmama; 10-06-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Did I make a mistake adopting Tyson?

double post
    Last edited by beachbumjen; 10-06-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: posted twice

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Aww dozersmama
    I am terribly sorry about the loss of your Dozer
    You did a wonderful thing by opening your heart and home to Tyson. Bullies can live until at least 12. You didn't make a mistake by adopting Tyson, he came into your life for a reason and you into his. You've made his life so much better already!!
    Dozer is so proud of you and smiling down from the rainbow bridge. Sending you peace and healing thoughts.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus
    Likes (Received)

I know it's hard, but try not to dwell on the "what ifs" and instead count each day you have with him as a blessing. I believe he came into you lives when he did for a reason.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree. Bullies or dogs in general can pass away at any time. You cant deny yourself and Tyson the love you both will get on what ifs.

Does that make sense?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It's tough when you think about their lifespan, especially when people remind you of the inevitable. But then I'd like to think of it this way ... Tyson is now having the time of his life living with you and your family. You've all given him unconditional love, attention, kisses, hugs, meds, anything and everything that the previous owners couldn't give. He deserves the best, and your fam is giving him the best.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

You did not make a mistake! Of course it's going to be hard with Tyson when that day to Rainbow Bridge arrives but look at it this way - you and your family are giving him a wonderful home and a wonderful last 6 months or 16 years. He could have ended up without you and your family. Time heals the heart and you will miss and have some pain for Dozer for awhile....I still miss my Orion and get teary eyed from time-to-time and it's been 9 months now. Here's a to you from me .

My husband asked me before we got Wilson becuase it was only a few weeks after Orion passed so suddenly, "you know their lifespans are only 8-10 years right." I said I don't care it's 8-10 years of love.
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 10-06-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

I bet there is not one moment when you are with Tyson that you tell yourself " I wish I hadnt adopt you" ..

So dont even say that..... Besides, 8 years is on the extreme lower end of the spectrum. With good health and care which Im sure you give, Tyson's life span will be on the other end of that spectrum.....

Now go prepare his meal and stop your whining.!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Tyson was a gift. An expensive one, but you know how the saying goes. You can't buy love. Tyson needs you and your family. Can you imagine how his first 7 years were? And, another thought......They mis-informed you about his health. What if they have mis-informed you about his age? What if he's younger?

All I know is you need Tyson and Tyson needs you. Please do not dwell on the fact that he may retire soon. No one knows for certain when Tyson's time will be. Angel baby Dozer's time was taken way too soon...and that was such a heartbreak.

You are scaring yourself. Tell the kids that Tyson is a grandpa and he needs them to help every day be a happy one. Let them know that when the time comes, Tyson will go and play with Dozer. Dozer is just a baby and Tyson is a grown up. There will be a time when they will be together.

Let them know that it could be any day...or in 5 years. What matters is how you love him. So love him everyday and remember what a awesome gift Tyson is.

Much love,
    Cheryl

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Tyson was a gift. An expensive one, but you know how the saying goes. You can't buy love. Tyson needs you and your family. Can you imagine how his first 7 years were? And, another thought......They mis-informed you about his health. What if they have mis-informed you about his age? What if he's younger?

All I know is you need Tyson and Tyson needs you. Please do not dwell on the fact that he may retire soon. No one knows for certain when Tyson's time will be. Angel baby Dozer's time was taken way too soon...and that was such a heartbreak.

You are scaring yourself. Tell the kids that Tyson is a grandpa and he needs them to help every day be a happy one. Let them know that when the time comes, Tyson will go and play with Dozer. Dozer is just a baby and Tyson is a grown up. There will be a time when they will be together.

Let them know that it could be any day...or in 5 years. What matters is how you love him. So love him everyday and remember what a awesome gift Tyson is.

Much love,
    Cheryl
    couldnt be said better.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Wow!!! I'm shedding tears here... But everyone is right!! They come into your life to teach you lessons. Although Dozers was short, he taught you many amazing things. Now it's Tysons turn to teach you more...

I, myself, prefer having a senior dog over a puppy. They have so much wisdom...so many more stories.... Don't take the time you have with these precious beings for granted.

Just remember the more pets you help, the more friends that will be waiting for you... and your family.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Likes (Received)

Can you live in the present and enjoy the day?? Stop thinking about the what-ifs and just enjoy the time you have here on this earth w/ whatever and whomever God gives you. None of us know when it'll be our last day, so why waste your time worrying about it? Enjoy Tyson while you have him and leave the negativity alone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads