Harness Recommendations?

hooligan

Sep 27, 2011
I just got his easy walk harness! We took Buster for a walk today and it was spectacular. He literally did no pulling. Everytime he tried to pull us he would turn himself around and stop. With some minor adjustments when he strayed, he had a pretty great walk. I'd say the only trouble we had was him being stubborn and lagging behind :) I think comparing his 2 most recent walks, the one with the new harness was literally 10 times better.
Do you train with markers? Is Buster food motivated? I would recommend that you lure Buster while walking with a treat that he enjoys. When he is doing what you want use your marker. Make the treat exciting and put energy into the game of taking a walk. Also don't stop to give him the reward. You want him to associate it with walking with you. Once he is responding to the treats and markers start adding your command. When you know that he understands the command and what you expect of him use a correction when he is being stubborn and not responding to your command.

Ultimately, that's what I ended up doing - although kind of by accident. I was digging through some old boxes and I came upon a bunch of Mable's stuff. I used a prong collar for her pulling back in the day, and it worked great as a training tool. She didn't wear it very long at all and the pulling was "cured". Yes: a proper fit and knowing HOW TO USE ONE is incredibly important and, I would say, why it worked so well. I forgot I had that thing! (I found a lot of other stuff too - :cry:*sniff*) I've just started using it with Bo.

I am going to check out that "Buddy Harness" thing though. I'm interested to see how it works - and if it will work on Bo. I need to find a store that has one so I can test it! He is SO SINGLE MINDED when he sees something he wants to get to....it's hard to imagine a harness working at all for that. And you better believe I have biceps like a body builder from hanging onto that boy. No kidding. People comment on them. hahahaha! Bo made me badass! hahahahaha

I'm glad that Bo is working well with his prong collar. It's such a versatile and amazing tool in the right hands. It sounds like Bo understands that you're the pack leader and he just needs to understand what it is that you want and that's where corrections help him learn.

-Loki

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=2808]AMart79[/MENTION], i rec'vd the easy walk harness last night so i'm going to try it out on Finn on this evening's walk. I am so mechanically NOT inclined w/these harnesses...i give myself such a big HA trying to figure out how to put these on. Drives me crazy. Anyways, hopefully the walk will be a good one. If so, then i'll get a 2nd one for Tate.

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Gordis, Khalisie and a frenchy named Fry
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] how did it go with the harness? I just got one for Fry and can't work it yet. :(

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
@cali baker how did it go with the harness? I just got one for Fry and can't work it yet. :(

It takes getting used to, i'll tell you that! at least for me. BUT, on today's walk i was thinking that i'm finally getting the gist of it with Finn walking right by my side, which is the whole idea. I think i've been having a little more trouble 'cuz i walk both boys at the same time and only Finn has this particular harness right now, so it's just been tricky maneuvering both of them and assessing the easy walk harness. I may or may not get one for Tate...he's not that much of a puller, only when he sees other dogs and wants to play with them.

Give the harness some time, practice with it and i'm pretty sure you'll notice a difference. Let me know!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.