Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I saw this on FB today and thought I would share.

Just A Dog
by Richard A. Biby

From time to time, people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Gordis, Khalisie and a frenchy named Fry
O how I hear that from my folks their "just dogs" but to me they are "just my family". When I cry because we failed again to conceive the "just a dog" is there to lick my tears :*( away and put a smile on my face :) they are "just my world." Excuse me if Im too open but only we know the love for them and understand why they are not "just dogs" thanks Davidh for the great story. And "just because" I'm going to kiss my Bulldogs Now!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
O how I hear that from my folks their "just dogs" but to me they are "just my family". When I cry because we failed again to conceive the "just a dog" is there to lick my tears :*( away and put a smile on my face :) they are "just my world." Excuse me if Im too open but only we know the love for them and understand why they are not "just dogs" thanks Davidh for the great story. And "just because" I'm going to kiss my Bulldogs Now!!
Never apologize for being open and we are glad you feel comfortable! :hug:... My daughter experienced much of the pain you are feeling...it's much more common than we know until it affects us. :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for sharing .. i love it! And, I have one word for people who say 'it is just a dog'...... GROWL!!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have never heard that before ... I'm lucky to say that it's not "just a dog" but "just 8 dogs" which means I get 8 times the love!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Beautiful words as always. People who've never felt the love of a pet just don't understand.

[MENTION=3364]Twinklrtoes1610[/MENTION] - Big hugs to you! And lots of kisses from Stig and Punkin.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:cry:Oh boy, another thread that's causing me the weepies. My "just a dog" X 2 gives me the best days of my life. Thank-you for sharing this.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This should be in the articles section :up:

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
Oh my goodness! I am going to have to save this! I hear the phrase "he's just a dog" so many times from family and friends when I turn down a long trip to stay with Tank instead. I'm glad to see that I am not the only way that feels this way! Thanks for sharing!

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
love it! We have spent so much money since we got him, especially lately with his skin issues and I hear this all the time from my family. They have no idea.....they even suggested I rehome him. It makes me so upset.....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.