Teach your Bully new Tricks 4 "Drop it"
I cant even count how many times i was chasing my dogs
who had something in their mouths they shouldn't have - be it my bra or worse something they can get seriously hurt around the room running like a mad woman screaming drop it drop it - is it just me? if not i hope this handy guide will help you -Not to be like me
before we learn command "drop it " i wanted to give you all some tips: (i will post this in every blog post before actual command )
1) if your bully is food orientated you are in a luck !
2) if your bully does is not food orientated -dont panic ,buy a toy , and use it only for training as a reward - its is dead simple to teach your fur baby to love and be crazy about his new toy - simply wave the ball (or another object) in from of your dog face with a supper cheerful and equally silly voice say " do you want it? " "uuu look at this" etc etc after a while your bully should show great intrest in the toy , when command is performed correctly give this toy play a little tug with your bully-stay very cheerful ,after a minute or two-remove the toy -this will be his reward and only given when you be training
3)start from high value treats before using their regular food -and on the end just give a praise and dont forget to adjust your dog food intake accordingly to the amount of treats given .Least you want is an overweight bully after few months of training -Trust me ive been there and done that -to pie on few pounds is easier than to lose it
4) start your training in a calm environment with as little distractions as possible and when your bully fully got it , increase the amount of distractions for instance backyard , or when your friends are around - do this gradually and over time you bully will have great focus just on you
5) work through play , keep it short but do it often - this will also help to prevent your bully getting bored ,but also it will build a great bond between both of you x
6) no mater how well or bad your bully performed always end on a positive note - this supposed to be fun for him/her and you -not a chore
7)even if your bully cannot do something -dont get stressed or agitated -they can sense it ,give them time and patience -we all know that our babies are not the brightest sparks
So lets get back to business
trust me its easy!
1 - the most effective and easiest way i found in teaching and reinforcing command "drop it" is exchange - you got something i want but i got something better that you will love ( yes! tasty treats - if your dog is nit dropping it - find something super tasty)
2 use a toy that your dog isnt as crazy on (in my case anything but tennis balls) and start playing with your dog to make him/her interested in the toy -making sure he/she will hold the toy in his/hers mouth
3 Once your bully hold the toy firmly give command "Drop It" does this tell him "Drop It" and offer him/her the treat as soon as he.she drop the toy offer the treat and give loads of praise
repeat this 3 steps few times to make sure your bully knows what and why he/she is doing it - it will take time but it is definitely worth it- plus both of you will bond through play , increase level of difficulty - from least liked toys to the ones your bully is most crazy about x
(for defies replace command "drop it " with a sign language , praise with thumbs up and a biggest smile you got