Our afternoon walk today

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
After the big snow of last week (biggest since 1973!) it is all back to normal. For our afternoon walk we went to the river walk. First we went on our usual walk and then followed a new side route which is being developed. We did walk there before but couldn't get that far before because of the blackberry bushes with their prickly thorns and also a dangerous native stinging nettle called ongaonga. Now all that's been cleared. I generally free walk our boy ie let him choose where he wants to go. As the new side route crossed a little stream which meanders back and forth about nine or ten times on the side route I asked our boy about three times if he wanted to turn back, but he was determined to go to the end! Our walk was about an hour and a half so now he is tuckered out asleep on the couch!

111111111f.jpg

Attachments

• Seton Nossiter 21 August 2011.jpg
    Seton Nossiter 21 August 2011.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Seton Nossiter1 21 August 2011.jpg
    Seton Nossiter1 21 August 2011.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Seton Nossiter2 side track 21 August 2011.jpg
    Seton Nossiter2 side track 21 August 2011.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Seton Nossiter3 side track 21 August 2011.jpg
    Seton Nossiter3 side track 21 August 2011.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That's such a nice path to walk. I wish I could walk my dog without a leash like that. Although I don't know if I could trust Wilson to follow me. If he saw a critter I'm sure he would go after it. Is your dog allowed to drink the water? If he decided he didn't walk anymore could you carry him the rest of the way? LOL Well I enjoyed the pictures and keep them coming. I like to pretend I'm there walking alongside the handsome bully.

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] - we are fortunate that we have a lot of nice walks for dogs in our city, but this is one of the nicest walks. There are almost always some dogs there, and our boy enjoys meeting them. It is rare that a dog is on lead there. It is pretty safe as it is an enclosed river valley. Once or twice there have been energetic dogs chasing some possums, or other animals (or some domestic chickens which escaped and are living wild), off the track, but that is quite safe as the sides of the valley are pretty steep and it is an enclosed valley. The water is fine to drink.

Sometimes when we have been there in the early morning with no one else there, the sun streaming down, the birds singing and insects gently circling, it has been quite magical!

Goodness it would be almost impossible to carry our boy up from the river valley! It is quite steep and he weighs 90lbs. Only once have I ever carried him on a walk, when he somehow hurt his leg on a walk around the neighbourhood. Fortunately we were only a few hundred metres from home, but it was really difficult. I do not however have any worries about this happening on one of our walks. When he was younger we walked our boy too much (in hindsight) ie on weekends we'd walk for three or four hours a day, and also we used to play jumping games. That was obviously too much for our boy and he had some leg troubles. Since we started walking less a couple of years ago the problems have gone away. Like today he can walk an hour and a half (albeit at a quite leisurely pace) without any difficulty.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=2729]hoegaandit[/MENTION]...The pictures do show the "magical" qualities. I've always walked my dogs for about an hour each evening in the neighborhood. One morning my female BabyGirl who is short and chubby woke up limping. Turns out she has arthritis, so I've been trying to get her to lose some pounds. No more treats or dog biscuits. Half her food has been replaced with string beans. She takes medication but I still walk her everyday (very leisurely) so she can burn more calories. I always worried what would I do if she couldn't finish her walk. So far she's made it back home every time.

L

Lucy-licious

I always love looking at your photos @Hoegandit the scenery is breathtaking.
Did he continue to love the snow last week?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx so much for pix of your walks. I always enjoy them. Your bully is one handsome fellow :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I also enjoy the beautiful pictures you post for us. I would love to have an area like that to walk my guys in. I can't wait for fall so that we can do more walking. It is just soooo hot here that we can only be out for 20 minutes or so and then they all start to get overheated.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I also enjoy the beautiful pictures you post for us. I would love to have an area like that to walk my guys in. I can't wait for fall so that we can do more walking. It is just soooo hot here that we can only be out for 20 minutes or so and then they all start to get overheated.

yes that is a beautiful walk, our weather will be changing this week into the high 70's low 80's . we are in a rural development and our dogs must be leashed, I envy you :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Beautiful country and beautiful bully, doesn't get any better than that.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
You live in such a beautiful area! I'm jealous :)

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] – yes it would be a worry if babygirl was not able to move. I have seen pictures of bullies lying down and refusing to move. Perhaps you could get some sort of bulldog stroller if there are signs of trouble and you walk the streets.
@Lucy-licious – unfortunately being such an unusual event the snow did not last long, but it was magic while it lasted!
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] – yeah our boy starts to slow down markedly on his walks in the summer (anything over low seventies F), but he’s full of energy now in the wintertime.
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] – we take our boy to I guess about fifteen different off lead places in our city. Some places he pretty much has to be on lead (eg centre city or the botanic gardens in the city) although I actually try to have him off lead wherever we go if possible. Still, there is quite a marked variation between different neighbourhoods. It is nice to go each weekend to our nearest beachside suburb which is great for dogs as it is pretty dog friendly, people know how to deal with dogs (even a few friendly dogs who are allowed to wander round by themselves!) and at least half the dogs are off lead even on the street.
Thanks all others – hope you all had a good weekend!

Attachments

• 758334_1246184628.jpg
    758334_1246184628.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 122

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.