gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
20210325_205117.jpg
Bruno (the rescue dog) half way through his 1 mile walk. Since his recurring pneumonia and throat surgery in December I have been taking it easy on him. He needed time for his lungs to heal. Short walks at first then 1/2 mile then 3/4 mile walks. His lungs seem to be doing much better and he didn't get winded at all until the 3/4 mile mark. He always likes to walk faster on the way home. Earlier today I threw his ring bone down the hall. Instead of bringing the ring bone back he went into our bedroom past my normal shoes and grabbed one of my walking shoes and brought it to me. We can't even spell W A L K anymore. he knows what it means.

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Looks like your going to have to start using "S T R O L L" instead of "W A L K" from now on. LOL. At least he wants to go. That's always a good thing. Glad to see he's gotten better and slap full of energy.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great progress, Bruno! And how nice that he walks faster on the way home - here we have a quick starter who then just stops and it takes for ever getting him back home sometimes!

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
My half hour walk takes ONE HOUR with Bubba LOL:yes:IMG_20210222_150105496_HDR (1).jpg... so slow, he has to mark EVERY bush, pole, and fire hydrant every day every trip.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My dogs always love to walk. And we do go long distances. Jake has shorter walks as he has anxiety n his breathing becomes heavy. I will have to admit since heā€™s been on cbc, big improvement. Nyala can walk 5km but definitely depending on the weather. So if your dog loves to walk, let him walk. You do your baby steps as you mentioned as itā€™s important and shows you what his walking limit is. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My half hour walk takes ONE HOUR with Bubba LOL:yes:View attachment 120694... so slow, he has to mark EVERY bush, pole, and fire hydrant every day every trip.

A trick to the marking which Iā€™ve done for decades is have my dogs do their business at home ā€œbeforeā€ going for walks. I sure donā€™t show them any leash either or they get excited. Their walks are on the sidewalk/street side only. I have never allowed any dogs on peopleā€™s properties do their business as they end up smelling everything even other dogs poop. Btw thatā€™s another way how they get worms :( Also not everyone trims their hedges n branches sticks out. I sure watch the pups eyes on all walks. But it works, they walk without any stop. Only summer for water.:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 120690
Bruno (the rescue dog) half way through his 1 mile walk. Since his recurring pneumonia and throat surgery in December I have been taking it easy on him. He needed time for his lungs to heal. Short walks at first then 1/2 mile then 3/4 mile walks. His lungs seem to be doing much better and he didn't get winded at all until the 3/4 mile mark. He always likes to walk faster on the way home. Earlier today I threw his ring bone down the hall. Instead of bringing the ring bone back he went into our bedroom past my normal shoes and grabbed one of my walking shoes and brought it to me. We can't even spell W A L K anymore. he knows what it means.

great progress!! Lambeau drags his paws so walks ar short and have to be on grass or he would have no nails no lots of blood .

OP
gobronco

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Great progress, Bruno! And how nice that he walks faster on the way home - here we have a quick starter who then just stops and it takes for ever getting him back home sometimes!
Bruno seems to be able to handle it. I think he walks slower on the way out because he doesn't like the noise of the freeway and the cars driving by. I took Mila, the crazy white 8 year old deaf dog, for a mile walk a few weeks ago. She slowed down quite a bit during the last 5-6 houses. At 43 pounds I could have carried her if needed. I can carry Bruno to the couch but I think if he decided it was time to stop his 55ish pound arse would have been sitting there with me until he was ready to go. A lady I work with used to bring a little red wagon just for when her Bulldog decided he wasn't going to walk anymore. And he supposedly did it every time. Was he training the owner?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bruno seems to be able to handle it. I think he walks slower on the way out because he doesn't like the noise of the freeway and the cars driving by. I took Mila, the crazy white 8 year old deaf dog, for a mile walk a few weeks ago. She slowed down quite a bit during the last 5-6 houses. At 43 pounds I could have carried her if needed. I can carry Bruno to the couch but I think if he decided it was time to stop his 55ish pound arse would have been sitting there with me until he was ready to go. A lady I work with used to bring a little red wagon just for when her Bulldog decided he wasn't going to walk anymore. And he supposedly did it every time. Was he training the owner?

Totally trained the owner... that is what a bulldog does [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Indeed they train us!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
View attachment 120690

Thats fantastic progress with any dog, with a bully its even better! :D

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
View attachment 120690

You are lucky! Gilbert isn't much for going for walks..playing in the backyard is more his thing..20210326_192140.jpg

Most Reactions