Bullie and Angus

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Here are my 2 english bulldogs:
Brown - Bullie (12 years old, will be 13 in August)
Black - Angus (8 years old, will be 9 in July)

I haven't posted about them in a few years because we had a major issue with my son's allergies. We were faced with the decision to put up the dogs for adoption. I made the tactical decision to keep the dogs but have them live outside of the house - a situation far from ideal for english bulldogs. I doubted myself every single day.

It has been 6? years since and my son is now going on 17 and my 2 bulldogs going on in years and they have been happy, healthy, and awesome. So I feel I can now face that decision and be confident that I chose the right path for my son and my dogs.

Please don't take this as an endorsement for english bulldogs living in a doggie condo in your outdoor patio. I do not recommend it even if it worked out for my pack.

46982A64-C1D5-4272-965B-036EAF52D854.jpeg

F45CF5E4-3EEC-48EC-B1C8-A83255A7B8EF.jpeg

8D863633-C0DA-4E6C-B78F-4751F4063858.jpeg

AC8C15F6-DC81-4057-A037-A75E3CE68CDF.jpg

Attachments

• 46654DFF-58BE-4C4B-9B8B-F81F3E01AD70.jpg
    46654DFF-58BE-4C4B-9B8B-F81F3E01AD70.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 196

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They both look very happy .... is the condo on a patio of sorts, as it looks almost indoors or under cover

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
lovely. Glad that it worked out for you. I remembered you ordealing with your son's allergies and had to make a hard choice of giving up your gang.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would say as long as it is appropriate for weather conditions and bulldogs then it would be OK, even though, as you say, less than ideal. Your dogs certainly look well and happy so it is working for them. Good job in a difficult situation!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm glad that it has worked out - I too remember your son's allergies. I hope that he's doing well and that he can interact with the dogs outdoors?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I remember your posts, your poor son... there is NO judgement here, I'm just glad that everything worked out.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
They both look very happy .... is the condo on a patio of sorts, as it looks almost indoors or under cover

Hi 2BullyMama! Yes, the condo is in a screened-in lanai. We made an ice-box blower for summer and a portable heater for winter that we put in the condo and we lifted up the floor so they can opt to lay on the cool tile. I set up my home office in the backyard wooden deck and they spend all day everyday with me out there. My husband has his gym in the lanai so he spends a lot of time with them at night. My son can't pet the dogs even outdoors as they give him hives. But he plays some fetch with Angus when he gets home and Angus watches him by the fence when he goes fishing in the pond. He's trained him to drop the ball/frisbee some distance from his feet so they're "social distanced" hah hah. He also feeds the dogs because he wants to be responsible for them in a way.

Thankfully, it all worked out and I got to keep my furbabies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi 2BullyMama! Yes, the condo is in a screened-in lanai. We made an ice-box blower for summer and a portable heater for winter that we put in the condo and we lifted up the floor so they can opt to lay on the cool tile. I set up my home office in the backyard wooden deck and they spend all day everyday with me out there. My husband has his gym in the lanai so he spends a lot of time with them at night. My son can't pet the dogs even outdoors as they give him hives. But he plays some fetch with Angus when he gets home and Angus watches him by the fence when he goes fishing in the pond. He's trained him to drop the ball/frisbee some distance from his feet so they're "social distanced" hah hah. He also feeds the dogs because he wants to be responsible for them in a way.

So happy you were able to make it work for all of you.... your son enjoys them as much as he can and you did an awesome job making it work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Great that you found a way to make this work so well for the whole family!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Wow! You have thought of everything. Lucky dogs!

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow! You have thought of everything. Lucky dogs!

Hi 1Chumly, even after all these years... I sometimes still have doubts that I did right by my dogs. I still wonder whether they would have been much better off going to adoption and grace some wonderful family's lives that can care for them in a better situation. I can't help but think that my decision was a selfish one - I didn't want to let them go.

Now that Bullie has blasted waaaay past the average English Bulldog lifespan and Angus is right up there and they're happy and healthy and loved, I have determined that even when their situation is far from ideal for their needs, they've lived good lives.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You know [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION], my breeder has all her dogs outside. Here in Alberta as most knows gets really cold. And I mean some days like -30 to -40 cel. She averages about 20 dogs n more (depending breeding months). She has big runs they all have dog houses with straw. She has never lost one dog. Babies are born inside the house but put outside later. In the summer they all have kiddie pools n parasols. They just need a beer lol.. When I got Jake my white face he was 2.5 yrs old, his fur was very thick compared to Nyala. They get use to the cold n even the heat cause they were raised outside. So don’t feel bad at all. The way you’re set up looks perfect!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.