Help!

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
So Harvey has eaten something he shouldnā€™t have .. been lethargic the past 2 days.. this morning he threw up.
Ultra sound shows something in his stomach but itā€™s not definitive what it is.

Dr is advising they can do a scope to try to remove or to induce vomiting. Iā€™m afraid to induce and risk chances of aspiration.

Now the last 2 times he has eaten something he either pooped it out or threw it up. .

I am not sure what to do or if I should give it a couple days to see if it passes on itā€™s own.. looking to my EB family for your thoughts and advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
We are literally sitting at emergency hospital right now... [emoji22]

Mmaker

Feb 21, 2016
New Mexico
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elsie

[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I just responded to your private message to me.

Are you comfortable with your vet and his bulldog knowledge? What are your baby symptoms? We done a scope in the past when our girl Banks had a stone in her we did not know it was a stone but the scope told our vet what it was and he tried to get it out using the scope instead of surgery ... scope was unsuccessful

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
He has been very lethargic the last couple days . Sleeping a lot.. more than usual.

He threw up this morning. But not whatever it itā€™s thatā€™s in there

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He has been very lethargic the last couple days . Sleeping a lot.. more than usual.

He threw up this morning. But not whatever it itā€™s thatā€™s in there

Ok.. good chance it isnā€™t passing , based on this Iā€™d do the scope to see if it will pass and try to avoid surgery.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like Christine mentioned, are you comfortable with your vet n is he knowledgeable with EB? Thatā€™s the biggest question in my book as the vet we were sent to 24/7 emergency clinic for Duke had NO clue on flat nose dogs n she did ruin his airways as he wasnā€™t fully sedated. Thatā€™s how he died. Why ā€œyouā€ absolutely need to make sure your vet knows EB. If so, I would do the scope. This is a few times he swallows things. He might also poop it out. Did the do an x-ray?

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
All,
First I want to say thank you. All of you. [MENTION=15533]Mmaker[/MENTION] for sharing and copying the rest of this gang. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] for your fast response and [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] for your valuable input.

I do trust my vet and I called her and she felt favorable of the scope and then 2BullyMama was also in favor. This also made me feel better. after talking to the orthopedic that would perform Harveyā€™s scope I asked how familiar she was with EBs and how many of these procedures she had performed on them. she stated she has done many EB and pugs and that she felt strongly that the foreign body wouldnā€™t pass on its own and that if it were her dog she would do it, I opted for the scope.
She also confirmed she knew the issues with intubation and anesthesia in EB.

It was done pretty quickly and Harvey came out of anesthesia with no problems!

The removed a stuffed toy that was very large! In my past note I mentioned the 2nd time he ingested something he threw it up. That was about 3 weeks ago. It was what I suspect was a stuffed squirrell. I thought that was all of it.. I wasnā€™t sure how he had gotten it because after episode 1 I threw all stuffed toys away. This one must have been hiding somewhere that we missed.
Well the throwing up episode was not all of it. What they removed today must have been the rest of the squirrel. It has been in him for the last 3 weeks!!

He has been drinking and eating and pooping all this time... time to time he seemed tired but I chalked it up to playing a lot with his visiting cousins.. well the last 2 days he was noticeably tired and seemed as though he didnā€™t feel good. But he was still eating and using the bathroom... this morning he threw up just a little bit and I knew in my gut something was wrong.

I am so thankful I did not take the wait and see approach this time as it would have most likely led to surgery. The only reason I didnā€™t was because my gut said no, something is not feeling right.

You know your babies, always trust your gut... no matter how much itā€™s cost $$.

I am so thankful for all of you, your knowledge and your support!
Harvey is now back home and sleeping on my lap..

Love and many thanks to you all!
f8f21a29bcb33cecc8f7f37887f6295b.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
All,
First I want to say thank you. All of you. [MENTION=15533]Mmaker[/MENTION] for sharing and copying the rest of this gang. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] for your fast response and [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] for your valuable input.

I do trust my vet and I called her and she felt favorable of the scope and then 2BullyMama was also in favor. This also made me feel better. after talking to the orthopedic that would perform Harveyā€™s scope I asked how familiar she was with EBs and how many of these procedures she had performed on them. she stated she has done many EB and pugs and that she felt strongly that the foreign body wouldnā€™t pass on its own and that if it were her dog she would do it, I opted for the scope.
She also confirmed she knew the issues with intubation and anesthesia in EB.

It was done pretty quickly and Harvey came out of anesthesia with no problems!

The removed a stuffed toy that was very large! In my past note I mentioned the 2nd time he ingested something he threw it up. That was about 3 weeks ago. It was what I suspect was a stuffed squirrell. I thought that was all of it.. I wasnā€™t sure how he had gotten it because after episode 1 I threw all stuffed toys away. This one must have been hiding somewhere that we missed.
Well the throwing up episode was not all of it. What they removed today must have been the rest of the squirrel. It has been in him for the last 3 weeks!!

He has been drinking and eating and pooping all this time... time to time he seemed tired but I chalked it up to playing a lot with his visiting cousins.. well the last 2 days he was noticeably tired and seemed as though he didnā€™t feel good. But he was still eating and using the bathroom... this morning he threw up just a little bit and I knew in my gut something was wrong.

I am so thankful I did not take the wait and see approach this time as it would have most likely led to surgery. The only reason I didnā€™t was because my gut said no, something is not feeling right.

You know your babies, always trust your gut... no matter how much itā€™s cost $$.

I am so thankful for all of you, your knowledge and your support!
Harvey is now back home and sleeping on my lap..

Love and many thanks to you all!
f8f21a29bcb33cecc8f7f37887f6295b.jpg

YES!!! Trust your gut- no one knows your baby like you do.

So happy he is home and surgery wasnā€™t needed!!! Hugs all around

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Just now reading this and soooo glad that all is going well. Now to give Harvey lots of hugs and kisses...and Bullyproof (Harveyproof) your home. Youā€™ve dodged enough bullets in 2019...time to make sure 2020 is uneventful!!!

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Just now reading this and soooo glad that all is going well. Now to give Harvey lots of hugs and kisses...and Bullyproof (Harveyproof) your home. Youā€™ve dodged enough bullets in 2019...time to make sure 2020 is uneventful!!!

Lol... you have got that right!! All I want for 2020 is completely uneventful! [emoji1317]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Harvey our trooper!!! Glad to hear all went well. Sorry for laying it as is earlier. It simply worries me when I hear issues like this n the word ā€œairwaysā€. Why I wanted you to make sure you trust your vet with EB. Truly glad all went well. Now like like Chip said, bullyproof the house. Stick to 4-5ā€ raw marrow bones or moose antlers not a deer antler for Harvey...knowing him heā€™ll find a way swallowing that! :)

OP
thett

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Harvey our trooper!!! Glad to hear all went well. Sorry for laying it as is earlier. It simply worries me when I hear issues like this n the word ā€œairwaysā€. Why I wanted you to make sure you trust your vet with EB. Truly glad all went well. Now like like Chip said, bullyproof the house. Stick to 4-5ā€ raw marrow bones or moose antlers not a deer antler for Harvey...knowing him heā€™ll find a way swallowing that! :)

Oh Helene! No need to apologize! I truly appreciate your concern and input! Thatā€™s why I came to all of you!
I too was worried as my concern was I was not at ā€œmy vetā€ whose I do trust but at a 24 hr emergency vet... which was why I was so apprehensive because I remember your story and have heard so many others. But after finally talking to the dr doing the actual procedure I made the final decision .

I am so thankful my story turned out alright. And I am truly thankful for al of you!

I will surely be Harvey proofing this whole house!!! Including the husbands socks!!! Just in case[emoji12]

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.