Santa Baby

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I had talked to the trainer about that as that was my concern. She said as long as it's positioned and used correctly, it will be safe to use. When in use, I always make sure it is in the correct position. This is why the kids are not allowed to use it and can't have anyone come over unless I am home. Unfortunately, a regular choker is not enough for him when people come over. He actually has nipped people out of excitement. There are some times when people come over and the pinch isn't even enough to control him which is why he has to have the remote collar and the pinch on together. Once he calms down, both collars are able to come off and he is back to a normal dog.

Geez...you know me say it as is :D

My GS would and did only once ripped a dog like a rag. Anyhoooo, after that one n first time, trust me was the last. Chokers n prongs hangs down on the neck, it needs to be under the jawline. Even a regular choker will yank them. But around the neck, it wonā€™t bother them if you yank. EB have very powerful necks, the can take it. under the jaw, all dogs will be controlled. I donā€™t understand why go through all that when you can just put him in his kennel and let him out after 15ish minutes? Both of mine are so excited to see ppl they greet them at the door by flying over the sofa n head first on the floor. Like duhhhh....I still have my dogtra electric collar, prongs n all from my GS. But for Duke n Nyala, itā€™s so not for them. Ok ok thatā€™s my 2 cents worth.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Geez...you know me say it as is :D

My GS would and did only once ripped a dog like a rag. Anyhoooo, after that one n first time, trust me was the last. Chokers n prongs hangs down on the neck, it needs to be under the jawline. Even a regular choker will yank them. But around the neck, it wonā€™t bother them if you yank. EB have very powerful necks, the can take it. under the jaw, all dogs will be controlled. I donā€™t understand why go through all that when you can just put him in his kennel and let him out after 15ish minutes? Both of mine are so excited to see ppl they greet them at the door by flying over the sofa n head first on the floor. Like duhhhh....I still have my dogtra electric collar, prongs n all from my GS. But for Duke n Nyala, itā€™s so not for them. Ok ok thatā€™s my 2 cents worth.

Oh we have tried the crate. It makes him even worse. He literally screams and when I say scream I mean scream and then gets himself so worked up it's even worse trying to calm him down. He has come a long way since the trainer and wearing the pinch/remote. You can tell he thinks more before he reacts to the people coming in but he still has his moments of lunging. My mom is coming over on Friday so I actually am going to tell her to not ring the doorbell and just come in and I will have him on leash just in case. But I am wondering if the sound of the doorbell makes it worse. He walks just fine with the Martingale collar but when we go somewhere and people are going to be there, I need to be prepared. If he nips the wrong person, it can be all bad.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Oh we have tried the crate. It makes him even worse. He literally screams and when I say scream I mean scream and then gets himself so worked up it's even worse trying to calm him down. He has come a long way since the trainer and wearing the pinch/remote. You can tell he thinks more before he reacts to the people coming in but he still has his moments of lunging. My mom is coming over on Friday so I actually am going to tell her to not ring the doorbell and just come in and I will have him on leash just in case. But I am wondering if the sound of the doorbell makes it worse. He walks just fine with the Martingale collar but when we go somewhere and people are going to be there, I need to be prepared. If he nips the wrong person, it can be all bad.

No no, let her ring the door bell so he doesnā€™t think or gets confused itā€™s an intruder. Youā€™re going to make it worse by not letting ppl ring the doorbell. You cannot stop and avoid everything cause you have a dog. Itā€™s the other way around. Dogs needs to work with whatā€™s going around them. Called life. Doorbells will always be. He needs to get use to the bell, sit when youā€™re answering the door n if heā€™s not, tell the other person on the other side of the door to hang on for a minute. Now thatā€™s when you take over n not Louie. Raise your voice with a firm ā€œBACKā€ and work on that. Yes they whine like hell in the kennel as Duke did that too. Non stop whining. I stand in front of the door, hands on my hips n wait. Trust me it works. Just need to keep doing it n never give up. Dogs donā€™t come all trained. Wish they did. Probably have less gray hair lol.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
No no, let her ring the door bell so he doesnā€™t think or gets confused itā€™s an intruder. Youā€™re going to make it worse by not letting ppl ring the doorbell. You cannot stop and avoid everything cause you have a dog. Itā€™s the other way around. You dogs needs to work with whatā€™s going around him. Called life. Doorbells will always be. He needs to get use to the bell, sit when youā€™re answering the door n if heā€™s not, tell the other person on the other side of the door to hang on for a minute. Now thatā€™s when you take over n not Louie. Raise your voice with a firm ā€œBACKā€ and work on that. Yes they whine like hell in the kennel as Duke did that too. Non stop whining. I stand in front of the door, hands on my hips n wait. Trust me it works. Just need to keep doing it n never give up. Dogs donā€™t come all trained. Wish they did. Probably have less gray hair lol.

We have a whole routine for when people come over. Pinch and remote go on about 15-20 minutes before. If multiple people come over, I have them ring the doorbell one at a time and wait. I make Louie sit and wait at the gate before opening it and then I walk him to the door and we open it and then I walk him back into the living room and make him sit. The person is not allowed to pet him unless he is sitting. Itā€™s been going pretty good but you know you take 1 step forward and then 2 steps back. One day heā€™s good and then the next he lunges. Itā€™s a work in progress and the hope is one day we wonā€™t need to do all this. But until I can fully trust him, this is how it must be during the initial reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.