Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This was on the news the other night. Now what? What will supplement the grain free? I can't feed them raw.....Another thing to worry about! Arrgh!:ohmy:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
BS...in regards to "get away from kibble". We've had bulldogs that lived to over 14 yrs. and ate nothing but kibble. Guess what, they died of OLD AGE...imagine that! Of all my guys that died sooner than 8 years, and there was only one, OscarMayer passed from a spinal mass. The vast majority of my bulldogs lived to be 10+ yrs. Hoss and Lola died from heart issues and Lola was diagnosed with Pulmonary Valve Stenosis at 2 months old, and lived to 10+ yrs. Hoss had congestive heart failure diagnosed at 8 and lived to 9. He had also suffered from heat stroke once and blocked airway once...before we adopted him. He was also a semi-outdoor dog for most of his life. All our dogs ate kibble. How could that be?
Last month it was get away from raw. WTH are people supposed to feed? These people need to find a better way to occupy their time. And lumping all kibbles in the same basket is completely irresponsible. And how about the novel idea of writing an article about a study AFTER the study is complete? Right now this is all guesswork and hypothesis. Idiots!...Grrr!
How about this, I think(as I have no proof) the writer of this article, Julia Henriques, has the IQ of a paper cup...and empty one, with a hole in it. She needs to get a clue.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep... this article was pushing raw, the other articles were pushing grain kibble.... the reason I posted it is just as you said- last month stay away from raw, this month stay awY from grain... you have to find snd do what works for your individual dog.

Maybe it is raw, a bowl of ice cream or a bowl of kibbleā€” just do your best with the knowledge and money you have.
It is so hard to believe anything anymore because behind every article, research study or opinion is a buck to be made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This seriously frustrates me to NO end... they are constantly publishing that THIS food is bad, and then retracting their statements.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
This seriously frustrates me to NO end... they are constantly publishing that THIS food is bad, and then retracting their statements.
the right doesnā€™t know what the left hand is doing...hell, the right hand doesnā€™t even know what the RIGHT hand is doing!
Further indication that these people are ignorant and irresponsible. I dismiss them entirely. Drawing conclusions with no facts? How pathetic is that? Kids these days!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I usually reply to post like this but Iā€™m getting better to keep my 2cents to myself :D

I too read..donā€™t feed raw, donā€™t feed grain free, uk government is banning all holistic vets in the country, microchip might cause cancer..... etc etc etc

You know, boils down you feed what works for you! Like Christine said, you feed what you can afford!! I try as much I can to stick to the natural way cause I recall while growing up my grandma n mom always feed our dogs the leftover scrap of the table. Man these dogs outlasted all of todayā€™s dogs in health n age. We never gave them any routine shots, vet checks, snacks....none of these dogs were fat either. Just keeping your dogs on the slim side n exercise them will avoid tons of issues. I recall my mom decided to get a Newfoundlander cause my parents bought a farm.....anyhoo..his name was Brutus. My sister took the brother called him Mike... Same litter n while they were growing up, my momā€™s Brutus he was double in size like a real Newfoundlander and his coat was SO shiny I swear in the sun you needed sunglasses. I have never seen a dogā€™s coat that shiny not even show dogs. Brutus ate his kibbles, but always had the leftovers topped his kibbles. Back then you didnā€™t have acana or a quality kibble. He only ate a little handful of kibbles but a triple topping of leftovers. Pasta, meatballs, veggies, cheese, steaks...just any leftovers. My sisters dog Mike, was half of Brutus size, ate only kibbles, a few leftovers, dog snacks, vet visits, all his shots and died at the age of 5 cause he had cancer n Brutus died of old age...I canā€™t recall but I do know he was over 12 and still in great shape...my moto, if you canā€™t afford to feed your dog a quality kibble, nothing is wrong with leftovers to top a kibble. That being said, no process food of course!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What a load of bollocks, say I.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just some of my thoughts on this:

It's a good idea rotate in some fowl like duck and turkey, and fish ,as proteins, plus some eggs so your dog will get extra taurine. Lamb,beef,rabbit and venison are proteins that are relatively low in taurine. I noticed some manufacturers like Fromm and Zignature add taurine to their dog foods.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online