Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
So I just noticed little tiny spots of Bellaā€™s hair missing only on her face and chin. She does act like they bother her and she does not scratch at it at all. There are no open sores or scabs or anything. Itā€™s hard to get good pictures.
C90ACEB5-B6E3-412E-B2F9-8835C0AF5A9E.jpeg6A5DA884-203C-402B-9F2A-788CC7DCBEEA.jpeg
They donā€™t seem to bother her one bit. But I hate to see it! Her coat is still as soft as velvet!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Duke has the exact same thing. Never bothered him to this day. From what I see probably Nyala when she chews his face while playing. She always goes for his face...

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I was actually wondering if it is from her playing with her big brother. Thatā€™s seems to be where their mouths are all the time! Some spots the hair actually looks like some are shorter than others. Like maybe it has started growing back in in certain spots?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I was actually wondering if it is from her playing with her big brother. Thatā€™s seems to be where their mouths are all the time! Some spots the hair actually looks like some are shorter than others. Like maybe it has started growing back in in certain spots?

Duke has a flabby face and Nyala doesnā€™t (sheā€™s a bantam eb) so Miss Muffet likes to grab his face. Even took a chunk out of the top portion of his chest. So keep on eye out when they are playing as it might answer your question.

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke has a flabby face and Nyala doesnā€™t (sheā€™s a bantam eb) so Miss Muffet likes to grab his face. Even took a chunk out of the top portion of his chest. So keep on eye out when they are playing as it might answer your question.

I am guessing that it the problem. Her head used to fit in his mouth! Thank goodness he is gentle with her. They constantly bite at each otherā€™s head and necks. I hate to not let them play but I hate to see her fur like that too.:(

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It is a low grade staph infection. Her fur looks like moth eaten, very typical. Low grade staph infection means that staph didnā€™t start to affect skin very badly yet, but what he does right now he lives in hair follicles and causes hair to fall out in small patches. In healthy dog staph is present, but immune system keeps it under control. But in Bella because of compromised immunity (due to allergy or just being bulldog, they are very prone to immune deficiency) staph overtook and kills hair causing them fall out.
More advanced stage of staph is when pink spots of skin become visible. After that redness / itch appears.
Hopefully Bella wonā€™t develop more advanced stages. I would show her to vet when you have chance, they can take a scrape and microscope it just to be sure itā€™s not something else. This analysis is quick and usually not expensive.
Tank had it, exactly like this, moth eaten fur. In Atlanta we visited doctor who took care of Uga the bulldog. If you interested, I can send you address. He prescribed us shampoo ( pricy, 33 usd per bottle) with silver and antiseptic. Helped a lot. Also, I feed him grain free home made food.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's Duke's face been like a year like that.
87399f7d520bfbdf82826f5fb8d4bb00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At first glance, I thought play biting, then i was wondering if the pool chemicals.... as I zoomed in to the pictureā€”- I agree with Natalia... low level staph ... you might want to just have it ruled out by your vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:(
Well darn....... I will get her to the vet ASAP...

OP
Hceril

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is a low grade staph infection. Her fur looks like moth eaten, very typical. Low grade staph infection means that staph didnā€™t start to affect skin very badly yet, but what he does right now he lives in hair follicles and causes hair to fall out in small patches. In healthy dog staph is present, but immune system keeps it under control. But in Bella because of compromised immunity (due to allergy or just being bulldog, they are very prone to immune deficiency) staph overtook and kills hair causing them fall out.
More advanced stage of staph is when pink spots of skin become visible. After that redness / itch appears.
Hopefully Bella wonā€™t develop more advanced stages. I would show her to vet when you have chance, they can take a scrape and microscope it just to be sure itā€™s not something else. This analysis is quick and usually not expensive.
Tank had it, exactly like this, moth eaten fur. In Atlanta we visited doctor who took care of Uga the bulldog. If you interested, I can send you address. He prescribed us shampoo ( pricy, 33 usd per bottle) with silver and antiseptic. Helped a lot. Also, I feed him grain free home made food.

Thank you! There is a vet here local that has a lot of experience with bulldogs.
What was the name of the shampoo?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
2C4CA4B3-B6D6-4262-A9E8-D0CDD243BCD1.jpeg

8FF09230-0450-43A5-BFCD-B7EF777FD696.jpeg

I believe this shampoo is ordered by our vet clinic - DeKalb animal hospital. The address of clinic is visible on the top of label, Iā€™m sure if you call them you can discuss with them how to purchase.

Most Reactions